Splitter/non-traditional (177/3.37)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Philosophizer

Splitter/non-traditional (177/3.37)

Postby Philosophizer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:27 am

So, here's my story. I will be turning 30 in a few days, so my B.S. was ages ago.

I got a 3.37 with a business major. Since then, I completed two masters degrees. The first was in ethics and the second philosophy, with a 4.0 and 3.97 respectively.

I scored a 177 on the June LSAT.

My questions are: (1) how much does my graduate work offset the UGPA, if at all? and (2) do I have any chance of getting $$ from a T14 school?

If "no" to (2), how far down must I go?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Last edited by Philosophizer on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheD

Re: Splitter/non-traditional

Postby sheD » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:36 am

As a fellow splitter, I'd say that your LSAT will carry you to admission from some T14s, but you're unlikely to get much money. I think people around a 3.5 w your LSAT would get some cash from Michigan, for example, but you're too low. Grad work is viewed as a soft, so it's not going to make up for UGPA. Write a really good personal statement and get killer professional recs if you can so you have the best package possible.

hdsoc

Postby hdsoc » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 am

I got offered $15k per yr. at Michigan with a 173 and a 3.35 and I imagine that had I negotiated that could've been brought up. I think you have a decent shot at some $$ from NU and GTown as well. The only problem is that then you'll lose out on using your ED which could make the difference at places like NYU and UPenn, and while you could potentially get some money, it's not as if you're looking at a full ride.

Philosophizer

Postby Philosophizer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

Well, I appreciate the reality check, bummer though it is...

Any thoughts on generous second-tier schools, or should I infer from the name of this website that I am asking in the wrong place?

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Not at all. There are certainly situations where it makes sense to attend a lower-ranked law school pertaining to certain career goals. This is especially true for you if your first legal job will be when you're 34.

That said, I think you'll get initial money from at least one T14 school (probably Northwestern, Michigan, GULC, maybe Cornell). Your GPA is bad, but not to the extent where you'll be lucky to get in with a 180 LSAT. Like hdsoc noted, you'll probably be able to negotiate up from there.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=jqq2g

Philosophizer

Postby Philosophizer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:53 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Not at all. There are certainly situations where it makes sense to attend a lower-ranked law school pertaining to certain career goals. This is especially true for you if your first legal job will be when you're 34.

That said, I think you'll get initial money from at least one T14 school (probably Northwestern, Michigan, GULC, maybe Cornell). Your GPA is bad, but not to the extent where you'll be lucky to get in with a 180 LSAT. Like hdsoc noted, you'll probably be able to negotiate up from there.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?sk=jqq2g

Very helpful. Thanks!

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:30 pm

If money is a crucial factor, you might want to ED to Northwestern. Their ED program is different in that if you are admitted you will get full ride.

I do think, however, that you have a good shot at mid T-14 and possibly at T6 with more money than would be normally expected since the number of high LSATers is decreasing.

Philosophizer

Postby Philosophizer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Ramsey wrote:If money is a crucial factor, you might want to ED to Northwestern. Their ED program is different in that if you are admitted you will get full ride.

I do think, however, that you have a good shot at mid T-14 and possibly at T6 with more money than would be normally expected since the number of high LSATers is decreasing.

Great tip! I didn't know about that feature.

Philosophizer

Re: Splitter/non-traditional (177/3.37)

Postby Philosophizer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Ok, this should be my last post on the subject, and feel free to send me to another board.

(1) I am a TX resident. Should I consider UT with my numbers. Will being in-state get me any love considering their 65/35 requirements?
(2) Is there an advantage to being the big fish in a small pond? I don't want to sound arrogant, but I know my academic performance will be strong. Is there something to be said for being a standout at a lower-ranked school, especially if you want to practice in the region (e.g. 70% of their grads struggle to find a job, but the top of the class might get special attention)?

Thanks, again, for all the feedback so far. If (2) has an answer elsewhere, I'd also appreciate a link.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Philosophizer wrote:Ok, this should be my last post on the subject, and feel free to send me to another board.

(1) I am a TX resident. Should I consider UT with my numbers. Will being in-state get me any love considering their 65/35 requirements?
(2) Is there an advantage to being the big fish in a small pond? I don't want to sound arrogant, but I know my academic performance will be strong. Is there something to be said for being a standout at a lower-ranked school, especially if you want to practice in the region (e.g. 70% of their grads struggle to find a job, but the top of the class might get special attention)?

Thanks, again, for all the feedback so far. If (2) has an answer elsewhere, I'd also appreciate a link.

1) Yes, if your long-term goals are to stay and practice in Texas, then a full ride at UT would be a perfect situation.
2) Yes, if you place well (think: top 10% of class), you will be in a better position than if you were median at a T14 school, especially if you want to work in Texas.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Philosophizer wrote:Ok, this should be my last post on the subject, and feel free to send me to another board.

1) There's so little data of in-state splitters like you it's impossible to say. You should definitely apply if you want to stay in Texas.

2) Don't assume you'll do great. Everyone thinks they'll be top 10%, and 90% are wrong. Ideally, you should be happy with the career options from your school at median. I'm a 0L but many law students on these boards have mentioned that law exams are very arbitrary, and even if you happen to be smarter than your classmates you could still fare badly.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Yukos wrote:

1) There's so little data of in-state splitters like you it's impossible to say. You should definitely apply if you want to stay in Texas.

2) Don't assume you'll do great. Everyone thinks they'll be top 10%, and 90% are wrong. Ideally, you should be happy with the career options from your school at median. I'm a 0L but many law students on these boards have mentioned that law exams are very arbitrary, and even if you happen to be smarter than your classmates you could still fare badly.

wut.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Yukos wrote:

wut.

Philosophizer

Postby Philosophizer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Yukos wrote:

Fair enough.

Return to “What are my chances?”