2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tehwetbandit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:45 am

2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby tehwetbandit » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2.79 LSAC GPA, 177 LSAT, and 2 yrs WE. My only other softs are a couple decent LORs. The consensus here seems that Northwestern and UVA are my best bets at a T14. I live near Chicago and would love to go to Northwestern and am willing to pay sticker. However NU is apparently doing a new program where ED admits get automatic full scholarships. Does this kill the advantage of EDing NU? Am I more likely to get into NU with RD rather than ED? Should I ED UVA to maximize my shot at T14 even though NU is my dream school? Or roll the dice with RDs everywhere?

My plan of attack for apps is:
NU
UVA
Georgetown
Cornell
Washu
UIUC
Kent
DePaul
BU, BC, Fordham, Texas

Thanks!

elizcbeth
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby elizcbeth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 pm

I was almost exactly in your shoes last cycle. This might be against popular opinion, but I wouldn't ED NU because you are just going to get held and you are going to lose the ability to ED at other places, like Virginia, which I would recommend btw. I was held FOREVER even after other people with my numbers got accepted and scholarships. I would interview with an alumni off campus, and if you get waitlisted or held, then I would take the trip out to Chicago. However, I would very much recommend applying EARLY. Even if you don't ED, apply in October if you can, and make sure to write all of the optional essays.

Good luck!

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

tehwetbandit wrote:Hi all,

I have a 2.79 LSAC GPA, 177 LSAT, and 2 yrs WE. My only other softs are a couple decent LORs. The consensus here seems that Northwestern and UVA are my best bets at a T14. I live near Chicago and would love to go to Northwestern and am willing to pay sticker. However NU is apparently doing a new program where ED admits get automatic full scholarships. Does this kill the advantage of EDing NU? Am I more likely to get into NU with RD rather than ED? Should I ED UVA to maximize my shot at T14 even though NU is my dream school? Or roll the dice with RDs everywhere?

My plan of attack for apps is:
NU
UVA
Georgetown
Cornell
Washu
UIUC
Kent
DePaul
BU, BC, Fordham, Texas

Thanks!


Probably wont get into NU ED since they do do the full tuition scholly with acceptance. Decent chance at V with ED but that GPA is kinda low even for that

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 pm

This is ED's to NU in your range.

This is non-ED's to Northwestern in your range.

Obviously the sample size for the former is incredibly small.

If you're willing to pay sticker, I'd say don't ED, and you've got a pretty good shot, especially with your 2 years of work experience.

westie25
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 pm

tehwetbandit wrote:Hi all,

I have a 2.79 LSAC GPA, 177 LSAT, and 2 yrs WE. My only other softs are a couple decent LORs. The consensus here seems that Northwestern and UVA are my best bets at a T14. I live near Chicago and would love to go to Northwestern and am willing to pay sticker. However NU is apparently doing a new program where ED admits get automatic full scholarships. Does this kill the advantage of EDing NU? Am I more likely to get into NU with RD rather than ED? Should I ED UVA to maximize my shot at T14 even though NU is my dream school? Or roll the dice with RDs everywhere?

My plan of attack for apps is:
NU
UVA
Georgetown
Cornell
Washu
UIUC
Kent
DePaul
BU, BC, Fordham, Texas

Thanks!


I can't speak on the others, but you have a definite shot w/ WashU. They're splitter friendly. I know of someone who is in law school there now. She told me the top person in their class had a 2.8 GPA in undergrad from UF and an LSAT score in the high 170's. He rec'vd almost a full scholarship from WashU.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 pm

You should get into 2/3 NU, UVA, Gulc, probably all of them if you ride UVA's WL assuming no ED. You are honestly in really good shape for NU and I would probably just RD everywhere and see your options. If you are more concerned with getting into one of UVA/NU than you are with your predisposition to NU, ED to UVA.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby North » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:14 am

Just be sure to apply the first day apps come out. You're in pretty good shape.

tehwetbandit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:45 am

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby tehwetbandit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks all. This has been very encouraging. Looks like I will be going RD everywhere.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 pm

tehwetbandit wrote:Thanks all. This has been very encouraging. Looks like I will be going RD everywhere.

If you aren't going to ED to UVa, you might as well ED to NU. Especially considering your preference for it. Last year, Johann indicated that people who applied ED and were held would get first pick over people who applied RD. People I know with similar numbers to yours, including myself, were admitted in one of the early batches while people with better numbers were admitted later or initially waitlisted.

If NU is your top choice (and I think it should be :mrgreen: ) then ED, do on-campus interview if you can, otherwise off-campus, at least one optional essay, and you should be golden.

Note: NU has yet to announce if the full-ride ED program will continue, so keep an eye out for that.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Don't waste the app fee on Texas.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby 2014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Samara wrote:
tehwetbandit wrote:Thanks all. This has been very encouraging. Looks like I will be going RD everywhere.

If you aren't going to ED to UVa, you might as well ED to NU. Especially considering your preference for it. Last year, Johann indicated that people who applied ED and were held would get first pick over people who applied RD. People I know with similar numbers to yours, including myself, were admitted in one of the early batches while people with better numbers were admitted later or initially waitlisted.

If NU is your top choice (and I think it should be :mrgreen: ) then ED, do on-campus interview if you can, otherwise off-campus, at least one optional essay, and you should be golden.

Note: NU has yet to announce if the full-ride ED program will continue, so keep an eye out for that.

IIRC NU's ED contract is worded in such a way that requires it be your only ED even if they hold you. So the issue is that by EDing NU he would effectively be forgoing the opportunity to panic ED to UVA in February.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby splitsplat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 pm

cu at nu next year.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: 2.79/177 2 yrs WE, ED NU?

Postby monkey85 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Yea man, you have nothing to worry about.

Schools are going to sweat that 177. And as for your GPA -fuhgedabowdit.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests