Should I apply this cycle? (2.9 and 170)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dr. Filth

Should I apply this cycle? (2.9 and 170)

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 am

2.95 and 170 (highest).

Have taken 3 times, and I can take re-take next June.So there are ties. I don't really care about location of school or job, but I guess I would prefer STL or Chicago. The important thing is, obviously, getting a job that allows me to pay off loans. I'd waaay prefer NU or UVa in the 13-14 cycle over Wash U with 150k of debt plus interest this cycle.

I know with my numbers the traditional splitter T14 approach only offers a slim hope. In normal circumstances, I wouldn't even bother wasting the money and time for applications. But applications are trending down, so I was wondering if I should even bother sending out applications

Yes. I'm clearly a special snowflake, and as a result, I need own thread. So yeah.

edited title because I realized I was a douche and didn't put in my numbers
Last edited by Dr. Filth on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevinP

Re: Should I apply this cycle? (2.9 and 170)

Postby KevinP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:36 am

The decline in applications might make splitter cycles harder to predict, and the decline may strongly benefit you. That said, based on this cycle's outcomes for applicants with similar numbers to yours, it isn't looking too good.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd
http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... ,8&type=jd
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

I'm not sure if NU still has the stipulation that if you ED to NU, you can't ED to other places the entire cycle, but if I had your numbers, I would apply in the following manner:

ED to NU
If rejected from NU (likely since they offer a 150k scholly to EDers), ED to UVA
if rejected from UVA, ED to GULC
If rejected from GULC, prepare for retaking while hoping NU takes you from the regular pool because of your ED.

I still think it's worth applying to at least the most splitter friendly schools.

I wouldn't take anything lower than a T14 ITE without a substantial scholarship.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:47 am

KevinP wrote:The decline in applications might make splitter cycles harder to predict, and the decline may strongly benefit you. That said, based on this cycle's outcomes for applicants with similar numbers to yours, it isn't looking too good.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd
http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... ,8&type=jd
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

I'm not sure if NU still has the stipulation that if you ED to NU, you can't ED to other places the entire cycle, but if I had your numbers, I would apply in the following manner:

ED to NU
If rejected from NU (likely since they offer a 150k scholly to EDers), ED to UVA
if rejected from UVA, ED to GULC
If rejected from GULC, prepare for retaking while hoping NU takes you from the regular pool because of your ED.

I still think it's worth applying to at least the most splitter friendly schools.

I wouldn't take anything lower than a T14 ITE without a substantial scholarship.

No point in EDing to NU if they do the scholarship thing again. Otherwise, I agree with your plan.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm

I think the benefit of applying ED to NU is that it maybe gives splitters a soft bump when you're deferred to the regular decision pool.

If I were to apply to NU ED, I would have like 3 months of work experience by the time they look at my app. Is that enough considering my already marginal application? Also a NU ED would push the UVa ED to December.

Also should I bother applying to other lower T14s besides Duke and BOALT?

Thanks for the responses.

Amoore114133

Postby Amoore114133 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:12 pm

WUStl would give you tons of money for that 170, won't they?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Amoore114133 wrote:WUStl would give you tons of money for that 170, won't they?

I don't think OP wants to go to WUSTL

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:26 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
Amoore114133 wrote:WUStl would give you tons of money for that 170, won't they?

I don't think OP wants to go to WUSTL

I certainly wouldn't mind WUSTL, but the money I would be looking, judging from LSN, at would likely be 45-84. That leaves me with 130-160 in debt without factoring in the interest. That debt with Wash Us employment isn't exactly a winning bet.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't think GULC is out of the question

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Did you have an especially

RIGOROUS

major,

Filth?

If so,

that could help

on the margins.

And I will never

post like OFWG

AGAIN.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:08 pm

What up joad. Sorry you have to witness my embarrassment.

Nope.

Titty soft majors. (Credit: OFWG)

Poly sci and philoaophy.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Probably shouldn't use the phrase titty soft in a thread where I completely out myself. Oh well.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:Probably shouldn't use the phrase titty soft in a thread where I completely out myself. Oh well.

Unless you list your name as Dr. Filth Find my on TLS on your apps you will be fine

westie25

Postby westie25 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:25 am

You have a definite shot w/ WashU. They're splitter friendly. I know of someone who is in law school there now. She told me the top person in their class had a 2.8 GPA & a LSAT score in the 170's. He rec'vd almost a full scholarship from WashU.

So, if you can get an almost full ride, or a heck of a scholarship, it's an excellent school to consider.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 am

westie25 wrote:You have a definite shot w/ WashU. They're splitter friendly. I know of someone who is in law school there now. She told me the top person in their class had a 2.8 GPA & a LSAT score in the 170's. He rec'vd almost a full scholarship from WashU.

So, if you can get an almost full ride, or a heck of a scholarship, it's an excellent school to consider.

If you want to work in the Midwest with an unlikely shot at Chicago biglaw

westie25

Postby westie25 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 am

MillerTheThriller wrote:
westie25 wrote:You have a definite shot w/ WashU. They're splitter friendly. I know of someone who is in law school there now. She told me the top person in their class had a 2.8 GPA & a LSAT score in the 170's. He rec'vd almost a full scholarship from WashU.

If you want to work in the Midwest with an unlikely shot at Chicago biglaw

OP didn't say where he wanted to work. Just said he's looking at STL or Chicago. For STL, WashU is the only worthy option. If OP gets WashU with almost no debt b/c of scholarships, it's an excellent choice. I know plenty of people who landed great jobs coming out of WashU.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 am

To your OP -

I think it's worth it to apply this time around, because except for the sunk cost of app fees, you have nothing to lose. You're definitely in at WUSTL, most likely with $$, and you're borderline at NU, GULC, and even UVa RN with an early RD app.

Dr. Filth wrote:If I were to apply to NU ED, I would have like 3 months of work experience by the time they look at my app. Is that enough considering my already marginal application? Also a NU ED would push the UVa ED to December.

Also should I bother applying to other lower T14s besides Duke and BOALT?.

FWIW, I applied to NU with about half a year of WE. I think you should be fine, since you'll technically have a year's worth by the time you start school. And again, if it doesn't turn out the way you'd like it to, you can always apply again next year (just make sure you have a good reason why when you reapply).

RE: lower T14s - depends on whether you like the schools or not. Cornell seems to prefer reverse splitters as well, but they're less obvious about it. GULC is a good bet for your #s as well. Michigan has a pretty hard GPA floor of 3.0-3.3, from what I've seen.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:14 am

<3

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “What are my chances?”