162/3.2 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
airplay355

New

162/3.2

Post by airplay355 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for a while but I finally decided to post now that I have an LSAT score. I know most of you would slit your wrist and lay in the bathtub with my credentials but let me explain a little bit about myself and then ask for advice.

1) I'm 24, male, non-URM, BS in Medical Biology, ~10 yrs of real work experience, ie. not summer camp bullshit.

2) I plan on retaking in October. 162 was my first attempt at the LSAT after taking a blueprint online course. I was PTing around 155 with a few tests around 158 but had never broken 160. In June, something just made more sense to me and I was much more calm on the actual test day so I ended up with a 162. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to increase my score in October, especially because I suck at games and I'm getting better at them...FINALLY.

3) While my GPA is low (3.2/4.0 just to be specific) because of 10 credits of Organic Chemistry with a C+ in all of them. The course is just ballbusting hard and to give you an idea of how hard, after I took the course and nailed it with a C+ :roll: I was asked to TA an organic chemistry lab and design labs for the following year and was paid for it. I wonder how the rest of the class did since there was 0 grade curving.

4) After graduating in 2009 I got a job in a research lab and I've been doing stem cell research since then; I'm still doing this. I've presented 4 posters at international conferences and will probably have a few first author papers out by the time my application gets reviewed. I'm just a little tired of the lab, applying for grants begging for money, and not super excited about the idea of spending 5+ years getting a PhD (which is my other option).

Now it's question time...

1) Does it matter that I didn't major in basket weaving with a 4.33, didn't go to a school with grade inflation, didn't support crappy core grades with stupid electives? I'm worried, I'm sure justifiably so, that I won't even get a second look after my GPA is reviewed. My resume and transcript are much more impressive than that one number.

2) My LSAT score is too low for most, maybe even all, schools worth going to. I'm not delusional or drinking the Kool Aid, I'm not gonna settle for a TTT so even if you think I'm missing a few chromosomes after you read this, at least respect me for that. What LSAT score would get me closer to the light? I'm not sure I could ever break 170 but maybe?. I think my next goal is in the 166 to 167 range. Is that realistic enough and is that enough period? I suppose my ideal situation would be BU, BC and Fordham respectively. I'd like to stay in the New England area.

3) I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about my law school dreams. I'm sure I have the same pipe dream as many people but I'm hoping my technical science background would be useful for biotech companies. That way I still get to apply the science I like without all the wet lab benchwork I'm not too keen on anymore. I know I can get a PhD and then take the patent bar but is that just as useful? PhD's are free but I'll most likely hate the entire process.

Questions/comments/death threats are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Nova

Platinum

Re: 162/3.2

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 am

1. Sorry but your course work cant change the fact you are below the 25th of the schools you are reaching for. It can contribute to you being a successful splitter though. You can still out perform your numbers with a well rounded polished app. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=162680

2. Your numbers are a nearly a lock at most T2s http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... d=Included Unfortunalty, a 166-167 only gives the typical 3.1-3.3 applicant about a 30% chance at BC/BU/F a piece. So you would probably get one, but it would be nerve racking. But you would have a really good shot with some other T30 public schools and Emory. http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... d=Included

3. Sounds like a good plan. Just be ok with possibly not being able to apply your science back ground too.

Good luck in October. Its plenty of time to reach your goal.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am

How does a 24 year old have ten years real world work experience?

Bgibbs

New

Post by Bgibbs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:30 am

Get a 170 and ED for a good shot at the T14.

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:22 am

Icculus wrote:How does a 24 year old have ten years real world work experience?

I started working for an internet company as soon as I had working papers. Once they realized they could pay me $6/hour (probably minimum wage at the time) to do the same work they were paying people $15/hour to do, I had a steady job in the accounting department on vacations and summers in highschool. After highschool I worked there full time and went to community college in the evening. When I transfered I worked whenever I came home. So while it might not be a full time job for 10 years, I worked part-time since I was 14/15 and then have had a career orientated job for the passed 4.

T2 schools aren't really worth going to, are they? On here, I've heard everything from T1 or bust, T14, T6, just don't go, don't fucking go.

BU has an ED program. Are the ED programs harder or easier to get into? I tried finding info about who gets accepted ED but couldn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 am

tfleming09 wrote:
airplay355 wrote:T2 schools aren't really worth going to, are they? On here, I've heard everything from T1 or bust, T14, T6, just don't go, don't fucking go.

BU has an ED program. Are the ED programs harder or easier to get into? I tried finding info about who gets accepted ED but couldn't.
Depends on the ED program - some (and I believe BU is one, along with GW and Northwestern) that offer full scholarships to ED admits, so they are much more competitive.

I'm basically your numbers twin (retaking as well) and to give you an idea I snagged some T2s in preferred regions with good money, I didn't even bother applying to any T1s since I didn't want to go to sticker (though, in hindsight, I would have applied to UGA)
People that got into GWU ED and BU ED tend to have T14 esque numbers.

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 am

tfleming09 wrote:
airplay355 wrote:I'm basically your numbers twin (retaking as well) and to give you an idea I snagged some T2s in preferred regions with good money, I didn't even bother applying to any T1s since I didn't want to go to sticker (though, in hindsight, I would have applied to UGA)
What does good money look like? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here. I have a career to fall back on if law doesn't work out so maybe I should consider a T2 with $. I'd rather be underemployed than unemployed.

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:33 am

I definitely understand your decision. $130k in debt is a scary number. My parents are really willing to help me out (my dad is a lawyer, went to NYU but got rejected from New England Law...wtf?) because they want to support my law school dreams but I'd still probably end up with some debt. I still owe about $15k for undergrad and $12k on a car so more debt is :shock:

I've been trying to keep my list of apply schools close to where I think I want to be (tri-state/new england) but I suppose I could go where ever and then come back as long as I go to a highly ranked well known school. Initially, I thought where ever I went to school was where I had to work. I don't think I'd want to permanently live in Atlanta (Emory or something, just an example) but I could survive three years there.

I suppose my plan should be to work on becoming a splitter since a 162 doesn't exactly qualify me as one and then apply to all the splitter friendly schools and some splitter neutral schools. Sound solid?

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:59 am

Mommy hasn't given specific numbers so I'm not too sure how much they'd help out, just that they plan on it. They have a few houses in NY and NYC is commutable from one of them so I could potentially eliminate living expenses aside from food by going to school in or around NYC. Unfortunately, that leaves me with pretty much one option...Fordham.

Getting deb-pwned is scary, but so is being forced to live/work in an area you really F'ing hate. Have you ever though of just bailing on the whole law idea or waiting a cycle or two? Do you have a career to fall back on?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 pm

I forgot to mention I could potentially take undergrad courses for $50 a pop to raise my GPA since I'm currently working in a lab at the same institution I got my undergrad degree from. However, it will look like obvious GPA padding since I've been out of school for 3 years. Hell, I could retake basic bio or some other random easy courses and get As. I'd have to wait until the next application cycle however, so not this fall but next fall. Viable option?

I could also audit medical school classes or other grad classes here. This won't help my GPA but will it look good? I'm inclined to think the former option is better.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 pm

airplay355 wrote:I forgot to mention I could potentially take undergrad courses for $50 a pop to raise my GPA since I'm currently working in a lab at the same institution I got my undergrad degree from. However, it will look like obvious GPA padding since I've been out of school for 3 years. Hell, I could retake basic bio or some other random easy courses and get As. I'd have to wait until the next application cycle however, so not this fall but next fall. Viable option?
No. Nothing counts toward your LSAC GPA after you earn your first Bachelor's.

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Even if the grades are on the same transcript or count for a minor? :cry:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

airplay355 wrote:Even if the grades are on the same transcript or count for a minor? :cry:
Si :cry:

airplay355

New

Post by airplay355 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Fahk. I guess splitter is my only option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”