myLSN.info

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I've turned off automatic searches by default because of the confusion it has been causing, and I've made the pages now show the LST employment score for each school along with a star rating based upon that score. If you click on the score/rating it will take you to the relevant school's LST page...

I may add these employment scores to the images, too, but I think it's getting pretty cluttered and I don't really like clutter. Anyone have any preferences? Should I add it to the images?


Among a plethora of awesome ideas, I love this one most. Combining LST with mylsn seems like the perfect marriage. I agree about it getting too cluttered, but combining employment outcomes with admission outcomes seems like the most natural connection anyone should make it deciding where to apply/attend.

You've done some awesome development and I sincerely appreciate it.

I'm glad you like it :)

I decided to add it to the images... Here's a full example:

Image

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Is the new employment score just the LST employment score for the class of 2012? Or is it the percentage of the class employed? For example, I see Michigan listed as 87% in the mylsn results but its LST score for 2012 was 82.5%.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:Is the new employment score just the LST employment score for the class of 2012? For example, I see Michigan listed as 87% in the mylsn results but its LST score for 2012 was 82.5%.

I think the LST score is JD Required Jobs/Graduates... this is (JD Required + JD Preferred jobs)/graduates. I reasoned that many of the JD preferred jobs are probably hard to get without going to law school and one might reasonably go to law school in order to get one, especially considering that many people at HYS seem to go into those kinds of jobs. But I could be persuaded to just make it JD Required jobs.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Is the new employment score just the LST employment score for the class of 2012? For example, I see Michigan listed as 87% in the mylsn results but its LST score for 2012 was 82.5%.

I think the LST score is JD Required Jobs/Graduates... this is (JD Required + JD Preferred jobs)/graduates. I reasoned that many of the JD preferred jobs are probably hard to get without going to law school and one might reasonably go to law school in order to get one, especially considering that many people at HYS seem to go into those kinds of jobs. But I could be persuaded to just make it JD Required jobs.

No, that's fine, I just wanted to know where the number came from. I think if you switched it, Yale would go down to 82%, and that would look odd.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:27 pm

I've been trying to think of a way to allow people to easily compare employment prospects at various schools and share that information easily...

See: --LinkRemoved-- you can change the last 3 schools to whichever one's you want (up to 10) and this url can be treated like in image, like in the following

--ImageRemoved--

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this/suggestions for how the image could be improved. I know it's very rough right now, I threw it together quickly, but I'm trying to think of ways that it could be made more useful.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby twenty » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:12 am

I would absolutely include government as either included in PI, or separate from PI.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 pm

I think that's a good suggestion... I've since taken it down but may consider creating it and later releasing it, and if I do then I'll be sure to make that change.

FYI, I've changed the layout of the website a bit... if you notice any trouble please let me know! I've also re-added the contact form (which I had previously taken down because I got way too much spam...)

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey all!

So, by request (thanks for the message whoever you are!) I synced with the LSN data from last cycle as of today. This is likely going to be the last sync for last cycle's data, and I'll start syncing this cycle's data some time soon, too.

PSA: Please, please, please post your data on LawSchoolNumbers.com
By doing so, you help to contribute to a repository of data that is helping you and can help other students in the future.

I understand that there are concerns about anonymity... but, honestly, if you're around median and not a URM, there are so many other people with numbers close to yours that you're not going to be outed. And if you're not around median, fudging your numbers by an LSAT point/GPA .05 points in either direction won't mean a thing in terms of accuracy, but it will contribute to the information we have available. If you are a URM, your information is even more valuable because there is simply less of it... but at the same time, because there is so little data, it's understandable that you might be more concerned about your anonymity.


Other updates:
  • changed default timegraph data to last cycle
  • change default graph data to last cycle

I'm actually starting law school in about a week, so I'm not going to be updating the site as frequently as I did last cycle (also because I've run out of ideas, in all honesty). At the same time, I enjoy programming and still hope to work on it as a fun distraction to keep me sane, so if you have ideas, feel free to PM me here, use the contact form on the site, or email me at robert.rankin.jr a t gmail (dot) com and I'll do my best.

Best of luck with law school applications!

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 am

On all of my searches it puts Georgia State (54) in place of Georgia (33). Not sure if it's George State's stats or just the name accidentally being there.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:37 am

cannibal ox wrote:On all of my searches it puts Georgia State (54) in place of Georgia (33). Not sure if it's George State's stats or just the name accidentally being there.
Fixed, thanks for letting me know.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Some dots on the graph can't be found through normal search. For example if I see a 163, 3.31 applicant who applied to X school during the 2011-2012 cycle on the graph then type in those parameters on search, that applicant (those specific) numbers won't pop up.

Just wondering why that is. Thanks!

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Some dots on the graph can't be found through normal search. For example if I see a 163, 3.31 applicant who applied to X school during the 2011-2012 cycle on the graph then type in those parameters on search, that applicant (those specific) numbers won't pop up.

Just wondering why that is. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know - could you provide me with a specific instance (numbers/school/search criteria) where this is happening so I can investigate, please?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby Lavitz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 am

I don't suppose there's any way to remove users from the search pool who are messing with the $$$ predictions? Namely: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/juj122

Because of him, I keep getting graphs predicting people will get $190,000 at Cornell or $500,000 at Berkeley. :roll:

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 am

Lavitz wrote:I don't suppose there's any way to remove users from the search pool who are messing with the $$$ predictions? Namely: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/juj122

Because of him, I keep getting graphs predicting people will get $190,000 at Cornell or $500,000 at Berkeley. :roll:

Oops - when I made the new version I forgot to put in what I had before that excluded every scholarship over a certain value... I've readded it so everything over $200,000 is excluded. Thanks for the heads up about this, Lavitz! Should be fixed now.

(If you'd like, I could add a special interface for you to eliminate results that you think don't add up, too :lol: )

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm

When will numbers from the current cycle (2013-2014) start going up? I just ran a search for 170-180, 2.0-4.0 and it came up with no hits.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:05 pm

feature removed
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 pm

nothingtosee wrote:When will numbers from the current cycle (2013-2014) start going up? I just ran a search for 170-180, 2.0-4.0 and it came up with no hits.

Sorry for not replying to this right away - I'll probably start syncing over xmas break some time.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Changed ranking to be employment score ((JD Required + JD Advantage - non-FTLT school funded jobs)/class size)

Can revert if people have strong thoughts against it.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby Lavitz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:35 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Changed ranking to be employment score ((JD Required + JD Advantage - non-FTLT school funded jobs)/class size)

Can revert if people have strong thoughts against it.

It's terrible. Change it back.

Makes it impossible to easily show people chances at T-14.

Edit: And has apparently changed all previous images anyone's posted here.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Changed ranking to be employment score ((JD Required + JD Advantage - non-FTLT school funded jobs)/class size)

Can revert if people have strong thoughts against it.

It's terrible. Change it back.

Makes it impossible to easily show people chances at T-14.

Gosh Lavitz, ruining all my fun!

Yours is an opinion I respect, so I've changed it back...

Maybe I'll provide an option for how schools should be ranked... though that involves redoing the underlying structure. Oh, well.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby Lavitz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Gosh Lavitz, ruining all my fun! my scheme to make Chicago #1.

Fixed. :wink:

And an option is fine. I kept looking for a way to revert it back, like "sort by X."

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: myLSN.info

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Changed ranking to be employment score ((JD Required + JD Advantage - non-FTLT school funded jobs)/class size)

Can revert if people have strong thoughts against it.

It's terrible. Change it back.

Makes it impossible to easily show people chances at T-14.

Gosh Lavitz, ruining all my fun!

Yours is an opinion I respect, so I've changed it back...

Maybe I'll provide an option for how schools should be ranked... though that involves redoing the underlying structure. Oh, well.


The change you made was better, put it back that way.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Lavitz wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Gosh Lavitz, ruining all my fun! my scheme to make Chicago #1.

Fixed. :wink:

And an option is fine. I kept looking for a way to revert it back, like "sort by X."

always my plot :lol:

User avatar
snagglepuss
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby snagglepuss » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 pm

How about including each school's median LSAT and median GPA alongside the employment score?

Is there a way to hide/collapse the "more info" box after you click on it (without refreshing)? Could you add more information to the more info box? Clicking into like 5+ profiles can be annoying. I would enjoy being able to see scholarship amount, major, and/or years out of undergrad in the more info box.

Just some thoughts. Thank you for the resource and all the work you've poured into it; it is truly one of the most helpful tools for 0Ls.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: myLSN.info

Postby midwest17 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:52 pm

It doesn't seem like any data from the current cycle is showing up in searches? For example: http://mylsn.info/0sod44

But there are data points when you look directly on LSN: http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1314

Am I doing something stupid?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests