myLSN.info Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Robb

Bronze

Re: myLSN.info

Post by Robb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:32 pm

My server was recently broken in to. I believe I have fixed the intrusion without messing up any code, but if you notice any problems please let me know.

testing, please ignore:
USNEWS COMPETITION ENTRY wrote:01. HARVARD UNIVERSITY
02. STANFORD UNIVERSITY
03. UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
04. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
05. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
06. UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
07. UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
08. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-BERKELEY
09. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
10. DUKE UNIVERSITY
11. NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY
12. CORNELL UNIVERSITY
13. GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY
14. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
15. VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY
16. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-LOS ANGELES
17. UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
18. UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
19. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
20. UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
21. GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
22. EMORY UNIVERSITY
23. UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME
24. INDIANA UNIVERSITY - BLOOMINGTON
25. UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
Last edited by Robb on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:47 am

I've been experimenting a bit for the past few hours with this: http://mylsn.info/search.php

It's really nothing new... it's just the search thing, but it generates the results on the fly rather than on the server. That means you don't have to press any buttons or anything, and it doesn't download or upload anything to the server when you enter the numbers.

So, really just let's you run various numbers faster.

Obviously ATM it's very preliminary... I just threw this together tonight... but I may work on it a bit more. Please let me know if you have any trouble using it.

Warning: in order to work, it downloads a 17MB file, so not for people with slow internet connections. The progress bar should indicate when the file is downloaded so you can begin. Also, I haven't made it user-proof yet... meaning if you enter a range like 0-9999, your computer is going to freeze. Just stick with the normal LSAT and GPA ranges.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 am

Robb wrote:My server was recently broken in to. I believe I have fixed the intrusion without messing up any code, but if you notice any problems please let me know.
Why would someone hack MyLSN? So weird.

dd235

Bronze

Post by dd235 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:33 am

Robb wrote:I've been experimenting a bit for the past few hours with this: http://mylsn.info/search.php

It's really nothing new... it's just the search thing, but it generates the results on the fly rather than on the server. That means you don't have to press any buttons or anything, and it doesn't download or upload anything to the server when you enter the numbers.

Obviously ATM it's very preliminary... I just threw this together tonight... but I may work on it a bit more. Please let me know if you have any trouble using it.

Warning: in order to work, it downloads a 17MB file, so not for people with slow internet connections. The progress bar should indicate when the file is downloaded so you can begin. Also, I haven't made it user-proof yet... meaning if you enter a range like 0-9999, your computer is going to freeze. Just stick with the normal LSAT and GPA ranges.
Very smooth!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:24 am

Yukos wrote:
Robb wrote:My server was recently broken in to. I believe I have fixed the intrusion without messing up any code, but if you notice any problems please let me know.
Why would someone hack MyLSN? So weird.
I actually host a few websites on my server... one of which is for a kayak business, that I let someone else manage. He installed a wordpress plugin with a vulnerability, so someone used the server as a host to send spam messages. Really annoying. Surprisingly, there are actually around 10-20k false log in attempts daily. Little do they know that you can't log on to my server with a mere password... basic server security FTW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:25 am

dd235 wrote:
Robb wrote:I've been experimenting a bit for the past few hours with this: http://mylsn.info/search.php

Very smooth!
Glad you like it, dd235 :)

Updated it a bit, to add sliders rather than input boxes, and now lets you click on schools to view the users represented in the data...

I think it's mostly done except to add the ability to narrow the months submitted, and the ability to get a link to the results/image of the results...

I'm kind of liking this, thinking about making it the main search option, or at least giving users a choice between the two. Open to any input... would appreciate any feedback, particularly if you're having trouble with it. My biggest concern remains the 17MB size of the download.

Again, the link is: http://mylsn.info/search.php

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 pm

Hey, don't know if you still update your site much, but I wanted to let you know that it's not picking up much data from the 2013-14 cycle (and the problem seems to affect some schools more than others). See: http://mylsn.info/kq0sf1. Results with entirely different parameters have seemed iffy to me in different ways as well.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Yea, you're right, I should run an update... it looks like I accidentally deleted the updater so it might take a few days. Will post when it's done.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Alrighty, we seem to have non-stop trials at work so I haven't had time to work on the script. I'll probably wait until I get to Chicago to check my laptop to see if I have the code saved on there, and if not I'll hopefully have time then to work on it. Maybe I'll even find time before then-hopefully so!

Sorry for the trouble, y'all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jasonleb1

New

Post by jasonleb1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm guessing this is part of the problem but I'm not getting any URM results for the 2013-2014 cycle. I'm getting non-URM results but nothing for URMs, AA and non AA.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:33 pm

mylsn.info not picking data from lawschoolnumbers for some accounts. anyone else noticing this?

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:39 pm

jasonleb1 wrote:I'm guessing this is part of the problem but I'm not getting any URM results for the 2013-2014 cycle. I'm getting non-URM results but nothing for URMs, AA and non AA.
Yes, this is part of the same problem.

Edit: oops I mean no it's not but I will fix this problem too, thanks for bringing it to my attention
jasonleb1 wrote:I'm guessing this is part of the problem but I'm not getting any URM results for the 2013-2014 cycle. I'm getting non-URM results but nothing for URMs, AA and non AA.
you mean recently updated ones, or ones updated since December? if so that's correct, those accounts shouldn't be included at the moment. hope to get them up in a few weeks (hoping I have the code to run the update on my old computer which is in Chicago, where I'll be heading in two weeks - otherwise I have to rewrite the whole thing)

frasier

Bronze

Post by frasier » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Is there an option to display axes with the graph?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:08 pm

frasier wrote:Is there an option to display axes with the graph?
No, but if you hover the text box will tell you the point you're hovering over.

frasier

Bronze

Post by frasier » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Robb wrote:
Well, for what it's worth, I think it would enhance readability significantly if there were faint axes. Even if they went underneath the plots at times. Great service!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

frasier wrote:
Robb wrote:
Well, for what it's worth, I think it would enhance readability significantly if there were faint axes. Even if they went underneath the plots at times. Great service!
Wil see what I can do... because of the way it's structured tis might be hard, though.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

So the website is now updated with the complete 2013-2014 cycle, and through this point in the 2014-2015 cycle... I'll try to keep it updated a bit more often from now on :) I re-wrote the script so that should be easier to do. Because the script is new, though, if you notice any errors or anything at all that looks suspicious please let me know, because there could be a glitch.
Ti Malice wrote:Hey, don't know if you still update your site much, but I wanted to let you know that it's not picking up much data from the 2013-14 cycle (and the problem seems to affect some schools more than others). See: http://mylsn.info/kq0sf1. Results with entirely different parameters have seemed iffy to me in different ways as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:42 am

Just an update, I am reloading the data from last cycle - users without degree GPA's listed were being excluded, so this reload should get those users in it. Should take about an hour to be complete.
ChemEng1642 wrote:I didn't see any glitches but I did have a question.

How large of a range should we be using for GPA and LSAT?

For example, I started by using my statistics.

[redacted]

but oddly my chances of acceptance to schools in the top range decreased.

I am assuming it is because the LSAT range was too narrow the first time. What is a good range to use?
Some schools this makes sense because schools like UVA and Penn yield protect (waitlist high numbers candidates) so your chances will actually go down with the higher score. I don't think the score range was too narrow as long as you were using several cycles, it could just be random statistical fluctuation.
Last edited by Robb on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 pm

hi robb! first of all, thank you for creating this excellent site.
is there a way/could there be a way to exclude ED for the admissions timeline charts? totally understand if not; I just thought it would be a helpful feature :)
thanks again!!
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:46 pm

xylocarp wrote:hi robb! first of all, thank you for creating this excellent site.
is there a way/could there be a way to exclude ED for the admissions timeline charts? totally understand if not; I just thought it would be a helpful feature :)
thanks again!!
glad ya like it. that's a good idea - it should be working now. also updated the chart for the most recent cycle
Last edited by Robb on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm

thanks so much, you're awesome!!
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Robb - can you remove the quote about my stats from your post please? thanks! :)
Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

sure thing, sorry bout that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”