Too Young? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Poo-T

Bronze

Too Young?

Post by Poo-T » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Hey guys,

There's virtually no doubt that I will be applying to law school this year. I'll be graduating in Spring 2013 with a philosophy degree at UNC, which means I'll be finishing applications probably around late November/early December. The only thing is I had the privilege of earning my first two years of (64) credits at a community college before graduating high school. So I'll be graduating at 20, but my birthday isn't even until March which means I'll be applying at 19 :( . As far as numbers go it's hard to gauge where I stand at this point. I haven't taken the LSAT yet (signed up for OCT), but I'm studying my butt off for it while I can. My final combined GPA from both schools should range anywhere from 3.5 to 3.7 depending on how I do this final year. I know law schools value work experience (I've worked 3 jobs but they were all simple teenage jobs, nothing professional, and some interning).

I was just wondering what you guys think. Would it help? Would it hurt my chances overall?

Kring345

Bronze

Re: Too Young?

Post by Kring345 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:56 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Bro, get a job for a year or two, apply to law school later. Get some perspective. Dick around and have fun. Law school will be there later.
+100000000000000000000000000

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:56 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Bro, get a job for a year or two, apply to law school later. Get some perspective. Dick around and have fun. Law school will be there later.

Additionally, you're going to be looked at weird applying for jobs at 22, especially if you're going through OCI at 20.
There's somebody at my law school who is an 18 year old 1L (got some online college degree or something, I don't know). I also don't understand the rush

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:58 pm

I immediately thought of the fact that you won't be drinking age until March of 1L. Take a year off!

Asst. Principal Bone

New

Post by Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Go right to Law School Young Man. No sense in prolonging Adulthood. If only Doug Funnie would have learned this sooner...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Depends upon the individual. No harm in working for a few years if you can get a job. You really need to ask those who know you well. On the surface, it seems as if a couple years of work experience would help your cause.

lawschool?s

New

Post by lawschool?s » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:15 pm

I was in the exact same situation. Here in Washington State we have running start and I received my AA while in High School (90 credits) and took the LSAT and applied at 19 (birthday also in march) with roughly the same GPA.

A coupe things that worried me, I wanted to have good job prospects and worried my age might affect that and then I also wanted to fit in with the other law students since I am a social person and figured drinking culture is important.

When I started getting acceptances I was excited and looked into deferring, the problem was that many of the deferals means that you lose your scholarship and I was not going to have that. I eventually got into a T14 without a scholly and was able to defer and so now I have my gaurenteed addmission for next year and my year off. If I didn't get a deferal I would have assumed I could just reapply (with a slightly higher GPA or even another LSAT) next cycle. Its a win-win.

Give it a shot, try to defer. If your LSAT isn't great then retake it. My biggest regret now is I don't have a job lined up for the next year and might be a bum.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I dont think being young will hurt your app, but your app would definitely be stronger if you took a year or two off to work and support yourself as an adult.

I graduated college at 20 too. Before LS, I took two years off and Im glad I did. The time off from school allowed me to spend the time necessary to score higher on the LSAT and the WE/LE certainly made my app stronger.

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm agreeing with most of the others. Take a few years off. Travel, get a job, intern at law firms to see if it's really what you want to do, etc. There is no need to rush. Apply to law schools at 21 or 22. Get into the law school class with others your age. You'll graduate at 24 or 25.

Look at it this way...why rush so fast into the workforce? You will have until you're 65-70ish to work. Enjoy the time you have before having to work an 8-5 M-F (or a 9 AM to 10 PM Sunday-Saturday at a law firm) the rest of your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. :) Much to be considered.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Bro I know they have fraternities at UNC. Join one and rage face for two years while taking GPA boosting classes. Maybe even add an Econ major or something useful while you are at it.

Viktor Vaughn

New

Post by Viktor Vaughn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”