173/3.38

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ImTheWiz

173/3.38

Postby ImTheWiz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:22 pm

173/167

Some unique softs (international internships), but nothing that will help me exceed my numbers. No post-UG work experience.

I want NYU (I assume Columbia is out due to GPA floor). Penn is a close second. There isn't much on LSN supporting my chances at NYU ED, though I was hoping the predicted further decrease in apps this cycle might lead to a continued lowering of standards. On the other hand, a fair number of applicants similar to myself got into Penn ED (though I fully understand this is far from a guaranteed acceptance).

Either way, I plan on using my ED at one of these two schools. The question boils down to this: do I have a good enough shot at Penn RD to warrant the risk of using my ED for NYU, with my biggest concern being missing out on both?

As per common TLS wisdom, I'll be planning on sending in a late ED to UVA in the likelihood I get dinged from both, so that is a nice safety net (again, clearly not an auto-admit, please don't think I am counting my chickens).

What do you guys and gals think? Thanks very much

dixon02

Re: 173/3.38

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I think you've got a pretty good grasp on things. I guess it depends somewhat on what you want. If you're fairly certain you want to do PI, then take a shot at NYU. Otherwise, if you're just hoping to go biglaw or some other firm, go for Penn. As has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards, when it comes to firm employment Penn and NYU are really peers. Unless you have a burning desire to be in NYC for law school, I'd just take a shot at the one you have a better chance getting into.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:39 pm

You could also not apply ED and hope for some money.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/imjustjoking
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Liam

Even if you don't get $ from NYU or Penn, you might be able to use peer school's $ to negotiate. There's always the UVA ED if your cycle gets desperate.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Penn is picky about GPA's. Unfortunately I don't think you're gonna get in there unless you ED. You have a decent shot of riding out a WL-->Accept at NYU.

I think either school you ED to will take you, but you're forgoing a decent chance at scholarships elsewhere.

patzan221

Postby patzan221 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:49 pm

I had a 175/3.39. Apply really early. I applied mid-december and got waitlisted all over the place. Good luck

ImTheWiz

Postby ImTheWiz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm

ahnhub wrote:Penn is picky about GPA's. Unfortunately I don't think you're gonna get in there unless you ED. You have a decent shot of riding out a WL-->Accept at NYU.

I think either school you ED to will take you, but you're forgoing a decent chance at scholarships elsewhere.

I would happily forgo a scholarship if I could get NYU, but from what I've heard on these boards I think you may be overestimating my chances at NYU ED (I really hope you aren't). Could somebody confirm/refute what ahnhub said?

BTW patzan221, I am definitely planning on having everything ready for day one of applications. Though I am having trouble finding the dates when each school's apps open? Anyone have info / a link for that?

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:24 pm

You should get NYU off the WL. If you look on LSN this year they accepted 8 or 9 173-177/3.3-3.4 people and there's no reason to think next year will be more competitive. For Penn though you probably need an ED. Given your interests I would probably ED Penn and be done with it early, but if you prefer NYU that much more do that and don't panic if you get WLed.

ImTheWiz

Postby ImTheWiz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate the responses. I guess I'll just have to put the best possible application together, and make a tough decision in the process...

Perhaps this is a question better suited for another board, but does anyone have any idea where schools publish the dates that their applications open?

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 pm

ImTheWiz wrote:
BTW patzan221, I am definitely planning on having everything ready for day one of applications. Though I am having trouble finding the dates when each school's apps open? Anyone have info / a link for that?

This might help you out. --LinkRemoved--

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:52 pm

patzan221 wrote:I had a 175/3.39. Apply really early. I applied mid-december and got waitlisted all over the place. Good luck

This is ridiculously important. Get everything in minus the UVA hail mary ED ASAP

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
patzan221 wrote:I had a 175/3.39. Apply really early. I applied mid-december and got waitlisted all over the place. Good luck

This is ridiculously important. Get everything in minus the UVA hail mary ED ASAP

I had very similar numbers. 173/3.49 I applied the first day apps came out. Honestly though I don't think it helps being super early as opposed to just early. I actually wished I waited a little so I could have gotten more fee waivers. I think applying early helps but if you're applying before november I don't think it matters when before.

ImTheWiz

Postby ImTheWiz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:34 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:

I had very similar numbers. 173/3.49 I applied the first day apps came out. Honestly though I don't think it helps being super early as opposed to just early. I actually wished I waited a little so I could have gotten more fee waivers. I think applying early helps but if you're applying before november I don't think it matters when before.

What's the best way to go about obtaining fee waivers? I've heard some schools will simply offer them to you (via email? through LSAC?) if they are intrigued by your numbers. Do I have to directly contact the other schools requesting one or is there some formal process?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm

ImTheWiz wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:

What's the best way to go about obtaining fee waivers? I've heard some schools will simply offer them to you (via email? through LSAC?) if they are intrigued by your numbers. Do I have to directly contact the other schools requesting one or is there some formal process?

You can request them, and you will probably get some on based on your LSAT without having to solicit them. Thing is some schools won't grant one until they send them out to everyone. I know I missed out on fee waivers to at least a couple schools I would have had one at if I waited another month or so.

juju96

Postby juju96 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 pm

catholicgirl wrote:

this. I applied with a 3.4/175 and got waitlisted just about everywhere. have gotten in at a bunch of places off WL's, but still if i could do it again id apply earlier. I applied around mid-january btw so i was pretty late.

Return to “What are my chances?”