169/3.63/top 30 Public

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Have 3 years significant work experience, looking to go T14. Am applying September 1. Looking for my chances at:

NYU (any shot?)
Penn (how much of a detriment is low GPA?)
Michigan(can I do summer start with a non-binding app?)
Cornell(why does cornell get no love?)
Georgetown
Northwestern
Chicago

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:31 pm

inthebeginning wrote:Have 3 years significant work experience, looking to go T14. Am applying September 1. Looking for my chances at:

NYU (any shot?)
Penn (how much of a detriment is low GPA?)
Michigan(can I do summer start with a non-binding app?)
Cornell(why does cornell get no love?)
Georgetown
Northwestern
Chicago

You have a chance at mich and Georgetown. You should be in Cornell, probably with money. I think the rest will be rejections, maybe a wl at northwestern.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Cornell with money? Might want to check sources on that.

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Why pessimistic on Northwestern compared to Gtown? Also- what about Berkeley?

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Cornell with money? Might want to check sources on that.

I have the same Lsat as OP and a little higher Gpa and got 60k. People with those numbers have gotten 30k and 45k before.
Edit: probably was the wrong word. Perhaps is better.
Last edited by top30man on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 pm

top30man wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cornell with money? Might want to check sources on that.

I have the same Lsat as OP and a little higher Gpa and got 60k. People with those numbers have gotten 30k and 45k before.

Duely noted.

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

flem wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:Why pessimistic on Northwestern compared to Gtown? Also- what about Berkeley?


NU prefers a higher LSAT to GPA, and Georgetown's median is lower.

I think you're out at Berkeley as they are especially GPAwhorey.


Any anecdotes on Northwestern intvw in terms of if it can move the needle?

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:10 pm

inthebeginning wrote:
flem wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:Why pessimistic on Northwestern compared to Gtown? Also- what about Berkeley?


NU prefers a higher LSAT to GPA, and Georgetown's median is lower.

I think you're out at Berkeley as they are especially GPAwhorey.


Any anecdotes on Northwestern intvw in terms of if it can move the needle?

The lowest 169 Gpa to get in during the last four years on Lsn was 3.73. I dont think it's going to happen.

User avatar
soccer88
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby soccer88 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:16 pm

.
Last edited by soccer88 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby top30man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm

soccer88 wrote:
top30man wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:
flem wrote:
NU prefers a higher LSAT to GPA, and Georgetown's median is lower.

I think you're out at Berkeley as they are especially GPAwhorey.


Any anecdotes on Northwestern intvw in terms of if it can move the needle?

The lowest 169 Gpa to get in during the last four years on Lsn was 3.73. I dont think it's going to happen.


There was a 168 with a 3.54 this year

That was someone with pretty great softs though (TFA). It doesn't sound like OP has those sort of softs (though that's speculation). It could happen but it's certainly not likely.

User avatar
soccer88
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby soccer88 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 pm

.
Last edited by soccer88 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:35 pm

For perspective, here are the LSN records in the T14 over the past four years, including this cycle.

GPA range: 3.6-3.66; LSAT set to 169. I also excluded URM's.

Image

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:12 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:For perspective, here are the LSN records in the T14 over the past four years, including this cycle.

GPA range: 3.6-3.66; LSAT set to 169. I also excluded URM's.

Image


Thanks for putting that together. If its easy can you check what increasing the gpa range 3.6-3.7 does?

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm

inthebeginning wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:For perspective, here are the LSN records in the T14 over the past four years, including this cycle.

GPA range: 3.6-3.66; LSAT set to 169. I also excluded URM's.

Image


Thanks for putting that together. If its easy can you check what increasing the gpa range 3.6-3.7 does?

Sure:

Image

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks a lot for this. It's pretty misleading that law school predictor shows such better chances given the data here.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Because you have three (3) years of significant work experience (post college W/E ?), your chances might be better than the charts indicate.

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Because you have three (3) years of significant work experience (post college W/E ?), your chances might be better than the charts indicate.


Yeah, its good stuff that I'm sure will help with GULC and Mich, but the lack of diversity and clear cut offs for some of these schools is really eye opening.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 pm

inthebeginning wrote:but the lack of diversity

wut?

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:but the lack of diversity

wut?


Lack of diversity in lsat/GPA ranges, not in background. One point on the lsat is one question wrong, yet it's grounds to auto-reject at some of these schools. I knew the process was a bit arbitrary but I expected the schools to at least dull the edges a bit to make it look a little bit "holistic".

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: 169/3.63/top 30 Public

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:22 pm

inthebeginning wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:but the lack of diversity

wut?


Lack of diversity in lsat/GPA ranges, not in background. One point on the lsat is one question wrong, yet it's grounds to auto-reject at some of these schools. I knew the process was a bit arbitrary but I expected the schools to at least dull the edges a bit to make it look a little bit "holistic".

They just have so many candidates and have target medians. Makes the process pretty straightforward if that makes you feel better.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest