Chances at T-14/T-20? 162, 3.85/3.8, URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
clouded.memory

Bronze

Chances at T-14/T-20? 162, 3.85/3.8, URM

Post by clouded.memory » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 am

Hello all,

I'm hoping that you can help me decide if I should just take my score as is, or if I should start prepping for an October retake?

I just took the June LSAT (for the first time), and scored a 162. My GPA is a 3.85 (3.8 LSDAS). I know where my weak points are, and if I was to retake, I would definitely shore up my LR skills. I think I could do better, but I'm very afraid that I could choke (I have severe anxiety) and drop even lower.

As for softs, I am/have been a student senator, member and Vice President of a disability advocacy club, volunteer for Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT), secretary of Mortar Board, and a student employee.

If it makes a difference, I am also a female minority (African American).

I was looking at the T-14 schools, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any idea what my chances are, realistically? If anything, I'm a resident in Washington state, and I would love to be accepted to the UW Law School.

Thank you so much!

NJPitcher

Bronze

Re: Chances at T-14/T-20? 162, 3.85/3.8, URM

Post by NJPitcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:06 pm

I'd retake - mid to upper 160s with URM and that GPA should leave you very happy with your cycle. The October test will still give you plenty of time to apply this cycle, just get everything else lined up (recs, personal statement etc.)

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Definitely retake. A few more points could make a big difference. Great job on the GPA. A lower score in Oct wont hurt your chances. Go for it.

Here are some similar applicants, http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1112

Looks like everything up to Columbia at least is on the table. UW with $$ is pretty much a lock.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:20 pm

162/3.8, AA female with admirable softs. Assuming no retake:

Apply to any Top 14 law schools that are of interest to you. My best guesses are that you would, & should, be admitted to Cornell, Michigan & Duke. Very possible for UCal-Berkeley. Possible at Stanford, Columbia, NYU & Penn among others.

If you retake & achieve a higher score, then the odds look even better. As is, you should be admitted to more than one Top 14 law school.

P.S. Apply with your current score, but also prepare for a retake if targeting the Top 6 law schools.

P.P.S. Understatement of the year candidate: " If it makes a difference, I am also a female minority (African American)." :D

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Would retaking also increase my chances of getting more money at these schools, as well? If so, what should I be aiming for (high 160s?)? I think that will end up being a big determining factor for me, personally.

NJPitcher, thanks for the suggestion. I'll start working on getting all of those things together and straightened out.

Thank you for that link, Nova! It was extremely helpful.

CanadianWolf, your post really brightened my spirits. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks so much, you guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bgibbs

New

Post by Bgibbs » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 am

Definitely retake, and try to work on that anxiety issue. Your grades in law school will pretty much come down to finals at the end of each semester....that could be a problem.

pizzaguy1

New

Post by pizzaguy1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 am

Retake and take practice tests in real testing conditions, so maybe see if you can sit in on proctored tests given by LSAT prep courses to help you get over your anxiety. If you you bump up your score to a high 160 or low 170 you will be a sure in at some T14s.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 am

Bgibbs wrote:Definitely retake, and try to work on that anxiety issue. Your grades in law school will pretty much come down to finals at the end of each semester....that could be a problem.
Most schools will make accomodations for you if you have anxiety problems (i.e. extra time, a private room, etc.)

I would definitely agree with a few posters above, you have a chance at the lower T14 with your scores as they stand right now, but it can't hurt to retake the LSAT and increase your chances. Most schools just look at your highest score (it's what matters for USNWR rankings, which is the only thing about the LSAT that matters to law schools), so even if you do worse it likely won't hurt you.

Best of luck :)

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:27 am

clouded.memory wrote:Hello all,

I'm hoping that you can help me decide if I should just take my score as is, or if I should start prepping for an October retake?

I just took the June LSAT (for the first time), and scored a 162. My GPA is a 3.85 (3.8 LSDAS). I know where my weak points are, and if I was to retake, I would definitely shore up my LR skills. I think I could do better, but I'm very afraid that I could choke (I have severe anxiety) and drop even lower.

As for softs, I am/have been a student senator, member and Vice President of a disability advocacy club, volunteer for Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT), secretary of Mortar Board, and a student employee.

If it makes a difference, I am also a female minority (African American).

I was looking at the T-14 schools, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any idea what my chances are, realistically? If anything, I'm a resident in Washington state, and I would love to be accepted to the UW Law School.

Thank you so much!

With your score you should be in at a good number of T-14s. But it would be in your best interest to retake in order to increase your changes at HYS and scholarship money at other schools. Study hard for the October LSAT, after the test spend as much time as possible working on your apps and if possible send them out as soon as your score comes out or early November. Don't worry You should be heading to a T-14 next year (unless you a serial killer)...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”