3.76, 161/167, want Cali- what's my strategy? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jaytray

New

3.76, 161/167, want Cali- what's my strategy?

Post by Jaytray » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:58 am

tl:dr, I appologize. I applied this cycle as a late 20s non-URM male with an MA, 3.76 gpa and 161 LSAT. Didn't care for my cycle and really discovered TLS so I retook in June and earned a 167. I feel this was an underperformance as my average was in the low to mid 170s and I was shooting for at least a 170.

I'd like some advice on how to proceed this upcoming cycle. I'm from CA but have been a Texas resident for the past year and a half. Ultimately I would like to settle down in Northern CA but would be okay with school and working elsewhere for the next 5-8 years. Berkeley is kind of the dream here and I am around both medians but I'm not very confident I'll get in due to its black box reputation. I feel pretty confident that as of now I will probably get Northwestern on down, maybe with a couple waitlists thrown in. I have some shot at MVP and might get in to a couple. I should also mention that I am fairly risk- averse and money will be a factor here. I realize that my stats as they are right now are probably getting me sticker at any school worth going to.

I realize retake is the credited response and I will be doing so but I'd still like a strategy for applications. Was thinking of blanketing 7-14 plus Texas, USC, and UCLA. Should I just apply to the lower end schools without telling them I am retaking or should I tell every school on my application? Also, let's assume I don't improve- what is the best move? Apply ED to Northwestern and try to get their full ride scholarship (assuming they still have that next year)? I can't really tell from LSN but my numbers might just get me deferred into regular admission. Or should I hope to get some money from USC due to being near both 75ths? Go to Texas with instate tuition and hope that that will eventually get me back to Northern CA? Is the CA legal market so bad that going to UCLA and USC at or near sticker is financial suicide, especially if I'm trying to get Northern CA? All thoughts/advice are appreciated.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: 3.76, 161/167, want Cali- what's my strategy?

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 am

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: 3.76, 161/167, want Cali- what's my strategy?

Post by Grazzhoppa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 am

Yeah retaking is the move.

If you don't improve ED MVP, doubt you have a shot at NU ED because of the scholarship thang.

Good luck on the next test hope you improve and get Berk Berk.

Return to “What are my chances?”