Carpet Bombing T30

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Younks

Carpet Bombing T30

Postby Younks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:34 am

Has anyone tried this? I have a 3.0, 158 (that will go up though), and a bunch of references that clearly and correctly portray me as a coal-hating activist. If I were to throw down the $2K to apply to Yale through WashingtonUStL plus WashingtonSeattle, what do you think the odds are that I'd get admitted to at least one of them?

Tom Joad

Re: Carpet Bombing T30

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:36 am

Odds are low. I assume you have taken the LSAT three times an can't retake anymore? If so T30 is probably out of reach and a waste of money.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 am

Not going to happen. You are well below every T30 median and below every T30s 25th except UMNs LSAT.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 am

Do you have really REALLY good softs like being a Navy SEAL or winning a Pulitzer?

Younks

Postby Younks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 am

I've taken the LSAT once and realized my study habits the first time were tailored toward making me feel confident rather than being competent. For example, I would get assumption problems wrong and pure sequencing correct on a practice test. Foolishly I would say, "Oh, well let me do some more pure sequencing!" and do more pure sequencing. Thus I've been practicing my weaknesses this time, and thus have reason to believe I will do better.

It's the GPA that worries me. And such softs sound like a bit of an exaggeration.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 am

What did coal do to you?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:59 am

Younks wrote:
It's the GPA that worries me. .

Nope, it's the LSAT that dooms you. Get 167/8 and you're in T30 with a 3.0.

Neander

Postby Neander » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:06 am

Yeah study for the LSAT and raise that score and you are golden, amigo.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

Younks wrote:I've taken the LSAT once and realized my study habits the first time were tailored toward making me feel confident rather than being competent. For example, I would get assumption problems wrong and pure sequencing correct on a practice test. Foolishly I would say, "Oh, well let me do some more pure sequencing!" and do more pure sequencing. Thus I've been practicing my weaknesses this time, and thus have reason to believe I will do better.

It's the GPA that worries me. And such softs sound like a bit of an exaggeration.

They are...... But there are applicants that have softs approaching that and there may well be a former SEAL or two in LS. The real point is that unless you have softs that would actually matter you are probably better of spending that two grand pn LSAT study material/ study courses. Instead of carpet bombing use a couple JDAMs on the schools you really want that don't have a hard GPA floor.

The other problem with carpet bombing the T-20 is that many of those schools are regional. If you REALLY want to work in New Jersey then Rutgers > being a Husky. Also, a BUNCH of those schools are fanatical about GPAs so it would basically be a waste of money.

Get the LSAT up and do some precision bombing on schools that will meet your specific needs even if they are above your numbers.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:26 am

JCFindley wrote:there may well be a former SEAL or two in LS..

And better than that, especially in top schools. Not that being a SEAL isn't awesome and super honorable, but there are more impressive positions that people in top schools have had, especially when in regard to intellectual and professional accomplishment.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:32 am

Younks wrote:I've taken the LSAT once and realized my study habits the first time were tailored toward making me feel confident rather than being competent. For example, I would get assumption problems wrong and pure sequencing correct on a practice test. Foolishly I would say, "Oh, well let me do some more pure sequencing!" and do more pure sequencing. Thus I've been practicing my weaknesses this time, and thus have reason to believe I will do better.

I think your predilections about the law school admissions process is a little misguided. Your best bet is to retake for a 165+ to get into some solid T1s and maybe even a little scholarship money. As previous posters have mentioned above, your gpa and lsat are too low at the moment and are usually suited to T2+ schools.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:51 am

To the OP, this is the data from LSN over the past ~5 years for people with near your stats (156-160/2.9-3.1). I think you might want to take another shot at the LSAT

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:58 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:To the OP, this is the data from LSN over the past ~5 years for people with near your stats (156-160/2.9-3.1). I think you might want to take another shot at the LSAT

Yeah, but you missed the fact that those were guaranteeedly URMs who were the rare exceptions.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:01 am

Lawquacious wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:To the OP, this is the data from LSN over the past ~5 years for people with near your stats (156-160/2.9-3.1). I think you might want to take another shot at the LSAT

[img]bigimage[/img]

Yeah, but you missed the fact that those were guaranteeedly URMs who were the rare exceptions.

excluding URM's you get 1 iowa acceptance, one fordham acceptance, and one indiana acceptance.

but my point was that he should retake, because no matter what there's not a very good chance of getting in.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:50 am

Even if you did get into one of these schools, you really don't care at all where you end up? And besides being regional, some of the T30 don't even place well (not even in their region).

Younks

Postby Younks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:47 am

cinephile wrote:Even if you did get into one of these schools, you really don't care at all where you end up? And besides being regional, some of the T30 don't even place well (not even in their region).

My choices would be Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Wisconsin/UChicago, UWashingtonSeattle, Kent, UIUC.

If I got in to none of these, I know I have a full ride at my undergrad institution (Southern Illinois). That said, I would consider the investment/gamble of all those application fees to get in to a school just for job placement. But if they don't place well regionally. Bah. Too tired. Thanks for the input.

Thanks to everyone else too.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:05 am

Cross Kent off your list. And good luck in October!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am

Lawquacious wrote:
JCFindley wrote:there may well be a former SEAL or two in LS..

And better than that, especially in top schools. Not that being a SEAL isn't awesome and super honorable, but there are more impressive positions that people in top schools have had, especially when in regard to intellectual and professional accomplishment.

Exactly! I often use Navy SEALs or astronauts as my extreme examples since I myself was military but there are many more with that level of accomplishment or much more in many other fields. When people ask if softs matter or they should blanket the T-20/30 with XX GPA and ZZZ LSAT there are a few accomplished people that might well get in above their numbers but being treasurer of a frat and volunteering once a week at an animal rescue while you are in undergrad will not likely help anyone preform above their numbers.

When it comes down to it, it is in fact mostly a numbers game.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am

I actually think this data is kind of promising. Since only a couple people applied, it is possible that the school could have been persuaded, and that those 2 just didn't make it. I'd be more concerned if there were 100 applications and 100 rejections.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:23 pm

There are so many better uses of your 2 grand its ridiculous. You are literally making donations to the entire T30's endowments in exchange for a law degree at Southern Illinois.

humbugger

Postby humbugger » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Younks wrote:My choices would be Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Wisconsin/UChicago, UWashingtonSeattle, Kent, UIUC.

Most of your list is based on fantasy. You should do some research before making another one of these threads.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:16 pm

How do you make these charts? I've seen them on a couple threads but haven't been able to find it on LSN (and LSP looks different).

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Younks wrote:
cinephile wrote:Even if you did get into one of these schools, you really don't care at all where you end up? And besides being regional, some of the T30 don't even place well (not even in their region).

My choices would be Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Wisconsin/UChicago, UWashingtonSeattle, Kent, UIUC.

If I got in to none of these, I know I have a full ride at my undergrad institution (Southern Illinois). That said, I would consider the investment/gamble of all those application fees to get in to a school just for job placement. But if they don't place well regionally. Bah. Too tired. Thanks for the input.

180 flame

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:22 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
Younks wrote:

180 flame

Don't think it's a flame, but I love "Wisconsin/UChicago" like they're basically the same thing.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Younks wrote:My choices would be Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Wisconsin/UChicago, UWashingtonSeattle, Kent, UIUC.

Obviously if you hate coal you must be a liberal but try not to be such a walking stereotype, because you must be...
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “What are my chances?”