Some hope for splitters - my cycle (2.7/168)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jah'rakal

Re: Some hope for splitters - my cycle (2.7/168)

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
Scotchandsoda wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
i don't think that's what i said, i was just pointing out of the fact that American University is a tier 1 school, the same tier as HYS, NYU and Pepperdine. Is it not a fact ? at least according to US News Rankings?

Go call some employers/recruiters and ask if they think American is in the same tier as Harvard and NYU. (Also, why the fuck did you include Pepperdine in there?)

i didn't say according to some employers/recruiters, i am pointing out the tier system by US News where American is tier 1, just a simple fact, why do u get all worked up because of it? it' s not like it's an unusual fact or observation, it is listed here on TLS website. Pepperdine is listed because it is a great school that finally getting what it deserves, a Tier 1 recognition this year

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Wily wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:i thought we are here to show some positives for splitters, and all u guys do is bash me...

Bro, with no offense intended, you're not a splitter. You need to get your LSAT up at least 10 more points to talk about being a high LSAT/ low GPA candidate.

dude, my LSAT was 53 percentile and my GPA in my school was like bottom 10 , so i think it's a rather large split

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
Wily wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:i thought we are here to show some positives for splitters, and all u guys do is bash me...

Bro, with no offense intended, you're not a splitter. You need to get your LSAT up at least 10 more points to talk about being a high LSAT/ low GPA candidate.

dude, my LSAT was 53 percentile and my GPA in my school was like bottom 10 , so i think it's a rather large split

Splitters have high LSATS, period. As in, at least >160, and >165 or >170 to really have a chance at decent schools.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks, Wily, for the awesome news!

2.7/171 checking in

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Thanks, Wily, for the awesome news!

2.7/171 checking in

You'll do better than me (likely in at a T14). Those 3 points make a big difference :)

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Wily wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
Wily wrote:

Splitters have high LSATS, period. As in, at least >160, and >165 or >170 to really have a chance at decent schools.

i mean, i got in tier 1 and tier 2 schools, is that not decent?

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:37 pm

You didn't get into schools where you have a decent employment outcome. End of story.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:02 pm

catholicgirl wrote:You didn't get into schools where you have a decent employment outcome. End of story.

For a split second I thought this was directed at OP and was about to get really mad.

Would someone just ban the troll already?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:18 am

Jah'rakal wrote:i mean, i got in tier 1 and tier 2 schools, is that not decent?

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:02 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:You didn't get into schools where you have a decent employment outcome. End of story.

For a split second I thought this was directed at OP and was about to get really mad.

Would someone just ban the troll already?

Of course not! I love me some Wily

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 pm

splitsplat wrote:

Lolol

But to get back to the topic of the thread, I got in off the WL to a splitter unfriendly T14 with a GPA below their floor. My advice to future splitters is don't avoid applying to a school where you're below their GPA floor, as these floors may no longer hold true with the decline in apps.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Lolol

But to get back to the topic of the thread, I got in off the WL to a splitter unfriendly T14 with a GPA below their floor. My advice to future splitters is don't avoid applying to a school where you're below their GPA floor, as these floors may no longer hold true with the decline in apps.

PM with specific info

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:35 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Lolol

PM with specific info

Seriously, PLEASE!

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

PM with specific info

Seriously, PLEASE!

tehwetbandit

Postby tehwetbandit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Lolol

PM with specific info

Please PM me as well!

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:But to get back to the topic of the thread, I got in off the WL to a splitter unfriendly T14 with a GPA below their floor. My advice to future splitters is don't avoid applying to a school where you're below their GPA floor, as these floors may no longer hold true with the decline in apps.

175/3.4 is pretty mild as a splitter, and a world of difference from OP and other 'extreme' splitters on this site, nonetheless, congrats on Duke!

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Lolol

Dude, thats awesome! Congrats! :)
Giving all us splitters some hope.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:

I should second this. GPA floors are falling and schools seem to be making exceptions. It now isn't unusual for a splitter to be admitted with money at a school that they wouldn't have had a shot at a couple of years ago.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
i mean, i got in tier 1 and tier 2 schools, is that not decent?

No, it's not decent. You're a URM and drastically outperformed your numbers, which are atrocious; like Cooley/Barry/Ave Maria bad. Also, only 50% of LSAT takers go to law school, so you're LSAT is closer to bottom 3%. Are you a high GPA splitter now?

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 am

Jah'rakal wrote:
Wily wrote:

is anyone else laughing at this? I hope you're not bragging about that 53 percentile bud, cause that's LOW. I think that's what we're all shocked about here, is that a 152 is considered low to anyone else but you, apparently. I scored a 156 on a practice lsat before I even started studying for it. low LSAT/low GPA=low stats, not splitter. Still though, I'm glad you're getting in places with the URM status, makes me feel better about my options as a URM.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

bump for that PM.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm

If yall havent run into this splitter thread, it is pretty good: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=188960

Looks like splitters who get serious typically do well :mrgreen:

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 pm

This seemed to be a great year for splitters, no doubt due to falling law school applications. However, that doesn't mean you should just expect more acceptances. Submit a fantastic application, be diligent about LOCI's, and be ready to ride out waitlists, and you should do great.

I'm not a huge splitter (3.5/171), but I managed to snag one of CCN, three of MVPB, and all of DCNG (all with scholarship minus one). Initial LSN/LSP told me to expect one or two bites in the t-14.

Happy to help with anyone's upcoming cycle. Splitters are high stress!

Return to “What are my chances?”