3.91, 174

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Flash wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Well said. However, I think the main argument is that a lot of much lower ranked schools are just easier. I don't think it can truly be argued that getting a near 4.0 at local state U required the same effort and aptitude as being top 1% at my T20. I took a few summer classes at a state school and it was a joke. Somehow GPAs came up, and like more than half the class had 3.9+ too. Not to sound like an elitist, but they were objectively not as smart as the kids at my school. Also, just listening to my friends around the country at joke schools telling me about the amount of work people put in, seeing some of their assignments and such, I am certain that it is no where nearly as rigorous as my school. I'm not saying there is a better solution, but I can see why the OP is frustrated that a 4.0 at local state U is better than his 3.91. I guess the LSAT is the great equalizer.

Also, sorry for rehashing this tired debate.

Not to sound like an asshole, but you seem like a douche. I hope you get in a car wreck.

Laying it on a bit thick there, broheim.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby Flash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Flash wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Well said. However, I think the main argument is that a lot of much lower ranked schools are just easier. I don't think it can truly be argued that getting a near 4.0 at local state U required the same effort and aptitude as being top 1% at my T20. I took a few summer classes at a state school and it was a joke. Somehow GPAs came up, and like more than half the class had 3.9+ too. Not to sound like an elitist, but they were objectively not as smart as the kids at my school. Also, just listening to my friends around the country at joke schools telling me about the amount of work people put in, seeing some of their assignments and such, I am certain that it is no where nearly as rigorous as my school. I'm not saying there is a better solution, but I can see why the OP is frustrated that a 4.0 at local state U is better than his 3.91. I guess the LSAT is the great equalizer.

Also, sorry for rehashing this tired debate.

Not to sound like an asshole, but you seem like a douche. I hope you get in a car wreck.

Laying it on a bit thick there, broheim.

I didn't say I wanted him to get injured.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Flash wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Flash wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Well said. However, I think the main argument is that a lot of much lower ranked schools are just easier. I don't think it can truly be argued that getting a near 4.0 at local state U required the same effort and aptitude as being top 1% at my T20. I took a few summer classes at a state school and it was a joke. Somehow GPAs came up, and like more than half the class had 3.9+ too. Not to sound like an elitist, but they were objectively not as smart as the kids at my school. Also, just listening to my friends around the country at joke schools telling me about the amount of work people put in, seeing some of their assignments and such, I am certain that it is no where nearly as rigorous as my school. I'm not saying there is a better solution, but I can see why the OP is frustrated that a 4.0 at local state U is better than his 3.91. I guess the LSAT is the great equalizer.

Also, sorry for rehashing this tired debate.

Not to sound like an asshole, but you seem like a douche. I hope you get in a car wreck.

Laying it on a bit thick there, broheim.

I didn't say I wanted him to get injured.

its not his fault you're not as smart as he is

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Ramsey wrote: Another friend of mine had 3.6 from Ivy and 157->163->170. She ED'ed to Georgetown but was rejected. She was basically rejected from all T-14 schools she applied and waitlisted at T-15-35 schools. She applied early in Oct, had a master's degree from another top school, etc etc. She now attends one of the T25-30 schools.


wow that is a pretty terrible outcome for 170/3.6 from an Ivy

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Flash wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Well said. However, I think the main argument is that a lot of much lower ranked schools are just easier. I don't think it can truly be argued that getting a near 4.0 at local state U required the same effort and aptitude as being top 1% at my T20. I took a few summer classes at a state school and it was a joke. Somehow GPAs came up, and like more than half the class had 3.9+ too. Not to sound like an elitist, but they were objectively not as smart as the kids at my school. Also, just listening to my friends around the country at joke schools telling me about the amount of work people put in, seeing some of their assignments and such, I am certain that it is no where nearly as rigorous as my school. I'm not saying there is a better solution, but I can see why the OP is frustrated that a 4.0 at local state U is better than his 3.91. I guess the LSAT is the great equalizer.

Also, sorry for rehashing this tired debate.

Not to sound like an asshole, but you seem like a douche. I hope you get in a car wreck.


you seem like you've got a gigantic chip on your shoulder

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:30 pm

What's with this "Top 20 private" bullshit? Newsflash: Emory, Vandy, and WUSTL, et al are good schools, but graduating from one of them doesn't make your shit smell like roses. HYPS grads still laugh at you.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Ramsey wrote: Another friend of mine had 3.6 from Ivy and 157->163->170. She ED'ed to Georgetown but was rejected. She was basically rejected from all T-14 schools she applied and waitlisted at T-15-35 schools. She applied early in Oct, had a master's degree from another top school, etc etc. She now attends one of the T25-30 schools.


wow that is a pretty terrible outcome for 170/3.6 from an Ivy

There are probably extenuating circumstances which explain why her cycle turned out so poorly. That's a bad outcome from any school.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm

HeavenWood wrote:What's with this "Top 20 private" bullshit? Newsflash: Emory, Vandy, and WUSTL, et al are good schools, but graduating from one of them doesn't make your shit smell like roses. HYPS grads still laugh at you.

Whether or not Vandy kids are getting placed at Bridgewater, I think it's fair to say that it's more difficult than middle tennessee...

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
Ramsey wrote: Another friend of mine had 3.6 from Ivy and 157->163->170. She ED'ed to Georgetown but was rejected. She was basically rejected from all T-14 schools she applied and waitlisted at T-15-35 schools. She applied early in Oct, had a master's degree from another top school, etc etc. She now attends one of the T25-30 schools.


wow that is a pretty terrible outcome for 170/3.6 from an Ivy

There are probably extenuating circumstances which explain why her cycle turned out so poorly. That's a bad outcome from any school.


yeah it is, and i actually don't think non-HYP ivies do that much for people in admissions (nor do top 20 privates whoever came up with that random distinction....also, why private?) HYP do matter. i've seen the internal charts of where HYP students are admitted and they are admitted with lower numbers than typical applicants.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:42 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:What's with this "Top 20 private" bullshit? Newsflash: Emory, Vandy, and WUSTL, et al are good schools, but graduating from one of them doesn't make your shit smell like roses. HYPS grads still laugh at you.

Whether or not Vandy kids are getting placed at Bridgewater, I think it's fair to say that it's more difficult than middle tennessee...

Probably depends on the program. Vandy does have a lot of grade inflation.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby UtilityMonster » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 am

HeavenWood wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:What's with this "Top 20 private" bullshit? Newsflash: Emory, Vandy, and WUSTL, et al are good schools, but graduating from one of them doesn't make your shit smell like roses. HYPS grads still laugh at you.

Whether or not Vandy kids are getting placed at Bridgewater, I think it's fair to say that it's more difficult than middle tennessee...

Probably depends on the program. Vandy does have a lot of grade inflation.


Is there any website one can go to in order to check out how different universities compare with regards to grade inflation?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.91, 174

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:What's with this "Top 20 private" bullshit? Newsflash: Emory, Vandy, and WUSTL, et al are good schools, but graduating from one of them doesn't make your shit smell like roses. HYPS grads still laugh at you.

Whether or not Vandy kids are getting placed at Bridgewater, I think it's fair to say that it's more difficult than middle tennessee...

Probably depends on the program. Vandy does have a lot of grade inflation.


Is there any website one can go to in order to check out how different universities compare with regards to grade inflation?

http://gradeinflation.com/




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest