How are my softs?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Numbers: 3.2 uGPA (biomedical engineering), 172 LSAT

softs:
-masters at ivy in BME (3.9 gGPA)
-2 research publications
-Fulbright-type engineering fellowship with top 5 med school in developing nation
-co-founded startup company
-founded a University chapter of NGO and supported 7 children in developing nation
-President of fraternity
-college award for engineering senior design project

looking to ED at either N or MVP. Do my softs give me a shot?

Looking to do IP in NYC/Boston/DC

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Great softs, but for the schools you're applying to they won't matter too much. Softs make the biggest difference at the West Coast schools (Boalt and Stanford) and Yale, and you don't have the GPA for any of them. At the margins though, your softs might put you in over some other splitters.

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Makes sense, so then if I ED, which should I consider, N or MVP?

Ideally, I want to apply to the best school, but also worried that if I ED to NYU, I'll waste my ED when I had a strong chance for MVP.

My goal is to enter NYC IP market.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:44 pm


collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm

thanks!

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm not sure if it says it on there, but these are all ED applicants btw.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Softs are above average.

I would say 7 (maybe on a good day 8) out of 10. Unfortunately, you're gpa is holding you back big time.

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:28 pm

That's what u get for studying engineering lol

EDing to penn and hoping for some splitter love

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby bdubs » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 pm

If I were you I would take a risk and either ED to a T6 or not ED at all. I think you would get in RD to NU and stand a chance of RD at one of M or P.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby Yardbird » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:34 pm

A friend of mine worked at an admissions office of a T20 for 4 years and told me they adjust engineering and hard science majors' GPAs up. Depending on the major it was anywhere from a 0.10 to a 0.30 bump in GPA. They do the same for finaid consideration. This might vary from school to school, but a 3.2 Engineering GPA will likely be considered in the T20, probably also the T10. Just some food for thought.

To the OP, take the PatentBar soon and put that on your resume.

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Hmm, although that made me really happy, I think that's used to compare splitters with the same GPA for a spot.

The school still has to report GPAs of all admitted students regardless of major. So, schools probably put applicants in tiers based on their numbers and evaluate admits in each tier based on softs. There are probably more spots available for top tiers than lower tiers which makes it more likely more likely to be admitted if your in the top tier category because of your high numbers.

The corrective factor is probably a subjective means of comparing students in same tiers.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby Yardbird » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:Hmm, although that made me really happy, I think that's used to compare splitters with the same GPA for a spot.

The school still has to report GPAs of all admitted students regardless of major. So, schools probably put applicants in tiers based on their numbers and evaluate admits in each tier based on softs. There are probably more spots available for top tiers than lower tiers which makes it more likely more likely to be admitted if your in the top tier category because of your high numbers.

The corrective factor is probably a subjective means of comparing students in same tiers.


She told me that the policy at the school she worked was the applicant's major/coursework and relevant difficulty of the program was looked at before a decision was made: So if it was going in the reject pile, they looked at the major and possibly changed it to a WL. If it was a WL, then the GPA was recalculated as stated in my first post. If it was being considered for a WL they might just bump it up to an accept.

In the end, medians are what is important. Someone with 3.1x or 3.2x is not going to bring down the GPA median by any significant amount unless many applicants in that range are accepted. A quick look at LSNs however, shows that MOST applicants in the 3.0-3.3 range do not have high LSAT scores (170+). There's a reason why a 3.1/3.2 with a 170+ LSAT gets looked at by most top schools. Always remember that while LSNs has a good amount of data on top applicants (high LSAT + high GPA), it has terrible stats on splitters. There are just not that many of us and only a fraction report statistics on TLS or LSN. I know a few people who got waitlist-admits to CCN with 3.3 GPAs and high LSATs that are not on LSNs or TLS.

Your softs put you in good range for a most of the T14 minus HYS. CCN are reaches, the rest are targets. I would apply to HYS if you get fee waivers, but its not worth it otherwise. You'll probably have to ride waitlists at all the T14 schools, but have a good shot at getting accepted at NU, GULC, and UVA right off the bat.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
collegebum1989 wrote:Hmm, although that made me really happy, I think that's used to compare splitters with the same GPA for a spot.

The school still has to report GPAs of all admitted students regardless of major. So, schools probably put applicants in tiers based on their numbers and evaluate admits in each tier based on softs. There are probably more spots available for top tiers than lower tiers which makes it more likely more likely to be admitted if your in the top tier category because of your high numbers.

The corrective factor is probably a subjective means of comparing students in same tiers.


She told me that the policy at the school she worked was the applicant's major/coursework and relevant difficulty of the program was looked at before a decision was made: So if it was going in the reject pile, they looked at the major and possibly changed it to a WL. If it was a WL, then the GPA was recalculated as stated in my first post. If it was being considered for a WL they might just bump it up to an accept.

In the end, medians are what is important. Someone with 3.1x or 3.2x is not going to bring down the GPA median by any significant amount unless many applicants in that range are accepted. A quick look at LSNs however, shows that MOST applicants in the 3.0-3.3 range do not have high LSAT scores (170+). There's a reason why a 3.1/3.2 with a 170+ LSAT gets looked at by most top schools. Always remember that while LSNs has a good amount of data on top applicants (high LSAT + high GPA), it has terrible stats on splitters. There are just not that many of us and only a fraction report statistics on TLS or LSN. I know a few people who got waitlist-admits to CCN with 3.3 GPAs and high LSATs that are not on LSNs or TLS.

Your softs put you in good range for a most of the T14 minus HYS. CCN are reaches, the rest are targets. I would apply to HYS if you get fee waivers, but its not worth it otherwise. You'll probably have to ride waitlists at all the T14 schools, but have a good shot at getting accepted at NU, GULC, and UVA right off the bat.


There is an entirely different reason for this, and I don't think it just has to do with the "relative difficulty" of your coursework. Schools like to keep their employment numbers high and they keep them in mind in the admissions process. Students with engineering backgrounds (especially advanced engineering degrees) have a much easier time finding a legal job in the IP arena than patent bar non-eligible people.

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am

nice, I'm going to go ahead and ED to N and fall back on UVa for EA if I am denied and RD to all other T14 minus HYSCCN and B and D and apply to GWU as a safety.

Money is a concern, but not as much as getting into the best school possible. So I would be willing to pay NYU/Penn at sticker since I am riding on my advanced engineering background for opportunities in IP.

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: How are my softs?

Postby senorhosh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:nice, I'm going to go ahead and ED to N and fall back on UVa for EA if I am denied and RD to all other T14 minus HYSCCN and B and D and apply to GWU as a safety.

Money is a concern, but not as much as getting into the best school possible. So I would be willing to pay NYU/Penn at sticker since I am riding on my advanced engineering background for opportunities in IP.


I think you're good for Penn with ED. It's iffy with your numbers but seriously your softs are pretty great. And cycle's (supposedly) getting easier if apps decline once more. A combination of those, and you have a good shot at Penn.

I honestly wouldn't ED NYU. I know it's been debated all over these forums but IMO Penn and NYU are peers. Agree or disagree, even if NYU is better than Penn, the advantage isn't worth the risk for giving up Penn ED.

airplay355
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby airplay355 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 am

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a 3.2 in Medical Biology. Same type of softs except I also have 3 years of WE as a research lab manager. We should have majored in ass scratching and gotten a 4.0 right? Apparently no one gives two shits if you took calculus or some math class called shapes. All that matters is the grade. :shock:

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 am

airplay355 wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a 3.2 in Medical Biology. Same type of softs except I also have 3 years of WE as a research lab manager. We should have majored in ass scratching and gotten a 4.0 right? Apparently no one gives two shits if you took calculus or some math class called shapes. All that matters is the grade. :shock:


Thus is law school admissions. On the flip side, you will do better than your average basket weaving BA come OCI (assuming same grades in LS)

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 am

airplay355 wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a 3.2 in Medical Biology. Same type of softs except I also have 3 years of WE as a research lab manager. We should have majored in ass scratching and gotten a 4.0 right? Apparently no one gives two shits if you took calculus or some math class called shapes. All that matters is the grade. :shock:


Lol I took multivariable and differential calculus so I definitely know what you mean haha, but I have noticed that scientific experience is super valuable OUTSIDE of science, which is a bit ironic since within science (especially research) it may not be that much helpful since so there are many people are more qualified than you are. That's the advantage of going into a niche field outside of science.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby Yukos » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 pm

airplay355 wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a 3.2 in Medical Biology. Same type of softs except I also have 3 years of WE as a research lab manager. We should have majored in ass scratching and gotten a 4.0 right? Apparently no one gives two shits if you took calculus or some math class called shapes. All that matters is the grade. :shock:


In all fairness, a class called "shapes" sounds easy as fuck.

skypres1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby skypres1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Let's say that I have a relatively similar application with a wide breadth of softs, leadership awards, own business, and a difficult engineering major, but am just coming out of a non-ivy undergrad with a 3.5/173. Should I be shooting toward increasing my LSAT past 75th percentile for HYSCCN to have any shot?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: How are my softs?

Postby bdubs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:29 pm

skypres1 wrote:Let's say that I have a relatively similar application with a wide breadth of softs, leadership awards, own business, and a difficult engineering major, but am just coming out of a non-ivy undergrad with a 3.5/173. Should I be shooting toward increasing my LSAT past 75th percentile for HYSCCN to have any shot?


HYS are basically out of the picture. CCN will be in play with a 173, but a >75% LSAT would be a big boost. By no means are you guaranteed to get one even with a higher LSAT, you just improve your chances.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], MSNbot Media and 2 guests