176/3.08 GPA- Advice? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Klerris

New

176/3.08 GPA- Advice?

Post by Klerris » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 am

Just got my June score, 176. I pretty much threw away my first two years of UG, made up for it but it left my GPA pretty poor at 3.08. I did get my masters degree and now have more than two years of work experience (not in a legal field). I've been going over LSN and LSP, read Samara's EXCELLENT post (just Google 'How to be a Successful Splitter'), but with splitter cycles being how they are.... Any thoughts? I know CCN would be a reach, but with ED??? Any advice on application strategy re: ED/EA and where to apply would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: should mention- non-URM, some decent softs (lots of leadership positions, extracurriculars and such)
Last edited by Klerris on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helicio

Bronze

Re: 176/3.08 GPA- Advice?

Post by Helicio » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 am

Klerris wrote:Just got my June score, 176. I pretty much threw away my first two years of UG, made up for it but it left my GPA pretty poor at 3.08. I did get my masters degree and now have more than two years of work experience (not in a legal field). I've been going over LSN and LSP, read Samara's EXCELLENT post (just Google 'How to be a Successful Splitter'), but with splitter cycles being how they are.... Any thoughts? I'd like to stay in the Midwest or East coast.... Any advice on application strategy re: ED/EA and where to apply would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Congrats on your score man!

If I were you, I would make a list of UGs that don't seem to have hard GPA floors. You could try to ED to UVA, for example (perfect for your desire to stay on the east coast).

Klerris

New

Post by Klerris » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 am

Thanks! And congrats to you as well! I've been lurking the June wait thread... Mad respect. UVA ED was what I was thinking? Just wondering if it'd be worth shooting higher with it?

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:30 am

Klerris wrote:Thanks! And congrats to you as well! I've been lurking the June wait thread... Mad respect. UVA ED was what I was thinking? Just wondering if it'd be worth shooting higher with it?
I don't have enough experience to answer this but I'm sure tmrw someone more knowledgable than me will pick it up.

Thanks man!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 am

Tagged. 2.7/177 here...with a year or so of UG remaining to boost it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Klerris wrote:Just got my June score, 176. I pretty much threw away my first two years of UG, made up for it but it left my GPA pretty poor at 3.08. I did get my masters degree and now have more than two years of work experience (not in a legal field). I've been going over LSN and LSP, read Samara's EXCELLENT post (just Google 'How to be a Successful Splitter'), but with splitter cycles being how they are.... Any thoughts? I know CCN would be a reach, but with ED??? Any advice on application strategy re: ED/EA and where to apply would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: should mention- non-URM, some decent softs (lots of leadership positions, extracurriculars and such)
Just saw this. Thanks for the shout-out!

Our backgrounds/numbers are very similar. I got rejected from Chicago, but didn't apply to Columbia or NYU because of personal preference.

IMO, ED to Columbia is a waste unless you have a burning desire to go there. ED to NYU might get you in, as it looks like there was a lot of waitlist action around your numbers this cycle. If you're really concerned about being T14 secure, the UVa ED will lock you in, but I don't think that's necessary. You are almost certainly in at NU if you do the interview and optional essay. As long as you're willing to ride the waitlists, you should also get in at least two of GULC/Mich/UVa/Penn/NYU through RD.

What are your goals? Is there a specific school that fits your goals or what you want in a school?

Klerris

New

Post by Klerris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:35 pm

I honestly have no interest in going to school in NYC- I have zero interest in Columbia and NYU. I have strong ties to the Chicago area, and U of Chicago would be a dream school for me. I'd like to end up either in the Chicago area or the DC area. That's pretty much the goal. I had a good friend who had a great experience at Penn, and I've heard from others that the NU atmosphere is something that would appeal to me. Big question is should I ED to Chicago and take my chances everywhere else? Or do I need to use my ED elsewhere where it might be of more benefit?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Klerris wrote:I honestly have no interest in going to school in NYC- I have zero interest in Columbia and NYU. I have strong ties to the Chicago area, and U of Chicago would be a dream school for me. I'd like to end up either in the Chicago area or the DC area. That's pretty much the goal. I had a good friend who had a great experience at Penn, and I've heard from others that the NU atmosphere is something that would appeal to me. Big question is should I ED to Chicago and take my chances everywhere else? Or do I need to use my ED elsewhere where it might be of more benefit?
Haha, it's like we're the same person. If you want Chicago biglaw, there's no better place than NU, probably even including UChi. I came very close to applying ED to UChi, but ended up applying ED to NU. So, ED to UChi, NU or not at all.

FWIW, I'm starting this fall at NU and couldn't be more pleased with where I ended up. Everyone I have met from the school is super cool and I've already made several friends. Come join us!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Your chances at Chicago (ED or RD) are terrible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:01 pm

I would apply CCN on down. You'll probably get NU and GULC and have a good shot at UVa. I think you'll get at least one t14. I wouldn't Ed anywhere in case you get $$$.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Sounds like you and NU were made for each other. It's not a lock with your GPA, but put together a good-looking resume and come off well in the interview, and I think you're in. You should get a couple of other T-14's regardless.

dsc1943

New

Post by dsc1943 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 pm

top30man wrote:I would apply CCN on down. You'll probably get NU and GULC and have a good shot at UVa. I think you'll get at least one t14. I wouldn't Ed anywhere in case you get $$$.
+1 to this

I had almost identical stats (175, 3.08)

I applied to 4-14 minus Cal and Michigan. Was admitted to NU at sticker denied at UVA and Duke and waitlisted everywhere else. Recently got into NYU off the waitlist and NU offered 60k after that so even if you're in I'd recommend riding out waitlists to the end for the potential for $ at your school if nothing else.

UDFlyers90

New

Post by UDFlyers90 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Klerris wrote:Just got my June score, 176. I pretty much threw away my first two years of UG, made up for it but it left my GPA pretty poor at 3.08. I did get my masters degree and now have more than two years of work experience (not in a legal field). I've been going over LSN and LSP, read Samara's EXCELLENT post (just Google 'How to be a Successful Splitter'), but with splitter cycles being how they are.... Any thoughts? I know CCN would be a reach, but with ED??? Any advice on application strategy re: ED/EA and where to apply would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Samara offers solid advice and I believe you are a near lock on getting into Northwestern but I think you actually have some strong chances at other higher ranked schools and I thought I'd chime in on some alternative approaches to applying.

I would say you are solidly out at Chicago (They just don't dip to that low of a GPA) and Columbia is at best a waitlist but I think you have a tangible shot at NYU by applying ED or relentlessly riding out the waitlist. (although I see you have a dislike for NYC, the job prospects from NYU are enough I think to grow to like new york for 3 years)

A general strategy I would suggest to use would be to apply to all of your target schools in the t14 as early as possible minus UVA. ED to Michigan or Penn (assuming you really don't want to be in NYC) and you have a strong chance of being admitted. If this doesn't work out I would ED to UVA later since their ED deadline is extremely late and an ED in January or even early February still almost guarantees admission there with your numbers.

This all aside, With such a great lsat and work experience (note ANY work experience after college will do) you are the bread and butter of a Northwestern acceptance and you seem to want Chicago so I think you have it in the bag.

Good Luck!

Little side note: I had almost the same numbers and no work experience and didn't ED anywhere and didn't get a t14 acceptance, The ED NYU early strategy/save my UVA ed for later is the route I will be personally taking this fall with my 3.2 gpa and 176 lsat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”