3.71/169 ED to GULC? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
suitup

New

3.71/169 ED to GULC?

Post by suitup » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:04 pm

I just got my June score back and got a 169 on my third try (thank goodness, since I bombed and got a 163 on my second try in October). Georgetown is my top choice by far. I EDed there this previous cycle and got waitlisted. I'm hoping that if a 163 can get me on the waitlist, then a 169 would be good enough to get in.

Georgetown is still my top choice but I don't know if it would be smart to ED again this upcoming cycle. I plan on getting everything together this summer and submitting my app as early as humanly possible which would hopefully gimme a leg up in the admissions process. I know that Georgetown tends to be pretty stingy with scholarship money so I'm afraid that EDing would negate any chance of a scholarship and give me absolutely no room to negotiate. At the same time, my numbers aren't auto admit numbers so I don't want to risk not getting in either when an ED could help my chances.

Before anybody says anything about retaking, THIS WAS MY THIRD TRY so that's actually not an option. I'm not just saying I can't take it again because I don't feel like it.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: 3.71/169 ED to GULC?

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Aim higher.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:09 pm

I got into GULC via rd this cycle with a little higher Gpa and an interview. Don't Ed. It's not worth losing the money. I'm going to Cornell with 60k. Why gulc?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Not trying to hijack thread (ok maybe a little just for a second)
But what about a 3.6x and 168 for GULC? Gpa is between 3.65 and 3.69

Congrats on substantial improvement OP and I wish you the best of luck!

suitup

New

Post by suitup » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 pm

top30man wrote:I got into GULC via rd this cycle with a little higher Gpa and an interview. Don't Ed. It's not worth losing the money. I'm going to Cornell with 60k. Why gulc?
I want to do regulatory work and DC has the most opportunities in terms of government agencies and GULC is obviously the best school in DC. Plus I'm really into their clinics and I haven't seen that any other schools that I could actually get into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Hopefully i will be seeing you there!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 pm

top30man wrote:I got into GULC via rd this cycle with a little higher Gpa and an interview. Don't Ed. It's not worth losing the money. I'm going to Cornell with 60k. Why gulc?
GULC ranks higher than Cornell!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Miracle wrote:
Thank you for being a helpful and informed poster.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm

You would've gotten into GULC RD this cycle. Like, 80%+ chance. Sure if you're dead set on it go ahead and apply ED, but 200K+ plus is a lot of money. You could easily get 45K at Michigan or more at Cornell and use that to negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 pm

suitup wrote:
I want to do regulatory work and DC has the most opportunities in terms of government agencies and GULC is obviously the best school in DC. Plus I'm really into their clinics and I haven't seen that any other schools that I could actually get into.
OP, those are certainly admirable goals. I was really drawn by gulc because of similar reasons. However, government jobs are nearly impossible to come by. With budget cuts and freezes, almost all agencies aren't hiring directly out of school anymore. The more Lear path would be big law in reg for a few years and then attempt to go into gov from there.

suitup

New

Post by suitup » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:32 pm

top30man wrote:
suitup wrote:
OP, those are certainly admirable goals. I was really drawn by gulc because of similar reasons. However, government jobs are nearly impossible to come by. With budget cuts and freezes, almost all agencies aren't hiring directly out of school anymore. The more Lear path would be big law in reg for a few years and then attempt to go into gov from there.
I'm definitely not opposed to doing the big law then government route and am still trying to leave my options open. I just graduated undergrad and am actually going to be working at a government agency in DC starting this month so by the time I go to law school I'll have at least one year of government experience under my belt which I figure would be helpful in finding government work after law school. Also, georgetown's good enough of a school that it's not like going there would completely cut off my chances at big law although i realize that its placement isn't as high as some other schools.

pizzaguy1

New

Post by pizzaguy1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm

I would say you should probably just blanket the lower T14's and see where you get into and how much aid you get to these schools. If you ED to Georgetown you run the risk of cutting yourself off from other potential schools and any aid you could possibly receive from these school. But if you're dead set on Georgetown, you could ED there but I'm not sure if that would be the most prudent decision.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 pm

top30man wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Thank you for being a helpful and informed poster.
I'm just saying! Lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”