3.2x 172 Where to ED Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Colonel Angus

New

3.2x 172 Where to ED

Post by Colonel Angus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:35 pm

So I can finally work my way down to create one of these on the flow chart.

I have 2 years work experience, project management focused. NU is my dream school, but they are only accepting ed's who get full scholarships, so it would be pointless to use it there, correct? I know the standard advice on here with similar stats is ed uva, but is there any point in using it on a super reach like penn?

Any point in an October retake? This was my first go around, and I know I can do better.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: 3.2x 172 Where to ED

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm

I wouldn't consider Penn a super reach at all. ED there if you like it and are willing to pay sticker.

I'm always a fan of retaking if you feel confident that you can do better, but there isn't much upside left for you. If you really want NYU you might have a chance with a higher LSAT, but even a 180 provides no guarantees.

Colonel Angus

New

Post by Colonel Angus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I wouldn't consider Penn a super reach at all. ED there if you like it and are willing to pay sticker.

I'm always a fan of retaking if you feel confident that you can do better, but there isn't much upside left for you. If you really want NYU you might have a chance with a higher LSAT, but even a 180 provides no guarantees.
NYU's great, but its really not a school I'm interested in. If thats the only upside to a retake I will go with what I've got. I have recently been reading more about penn on these boards, and I like what is being said about employment. Is it possible to ed there and another t14? I will be applying mvp on down, excluding b and d. I know there are many wait lists in my future, but anything to improve my chances at a t14 will help.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Colonel Angus wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I wouldn't consider Penn a super reach at all. ED there if you like it and are willing to pay sticker.

NYU's great, but its really not a school I'm interested in. If thats the only upside to a retake I will go with what I've got. I have recently been reading more about penn on these boards, and I like what is being said about employment. Is it possible to ed there and another t14? I will be applying mvp on down, excluding b and d. I know there are many wait lists in my future, but anything to improve my chances at a t14 will help.
I've read many times on the boards here (though I cannot independently confirm since I did not do it) that UVA will allow you to switch a submitted app to binding after applying for regular admissions. Assuming that's true (and again, it's referred to so often on TLS that it's hard to imagine it's not), then you could certainly ED to Penn and then, if you get dinged, switch your UVA app to binding.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:05 pm

You probably woulda gotten into a couple T-14's this cycle, after riding the wait list for a while. If you really like Penn +1 for ED'ing there. You'll be giving up the possibility of some $$ (like in the 50-60K range) at a place like NU (maybe Cornell/Michigan, but those are really iffy for money at your GPA), and maybe 60-90K at Georgetown. But there's a good chance you don't get $$ anywhere, and the only place you'd get something approaching half-tuition is Georgetown.

You could ED Penn and then ED UVA if you don't get in. I think most Penn ED people found out in mid December? IMO unless you really want UVA you will probably break into T-14 next cycle RD.

172 is a high score and difficult to improve on, but if you were hitting 174+ regularly on PT's a retake might help you--mostly with breaking into CCN.

Colonel Angus

New

Post by Colonel Angus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I am going to stick with my score. I am going to ED to Penn, and apply RD to MVCNG and probably some lower ranked. NU and Penn are the only 2 I think I have a shot at that I would be comfortable paying sticker at. I guess now I need to concentrate on my PS and the rest of my application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”