Disappointing LSAT -AA male

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
txdude45

Disappointing LSAT -AA male

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm

Last edited by txdude45 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Re: Disappointing LSAT -AA male

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:25 pm

txdude45 wrote:I'm an AA male, 3.2 GPA from Yale University, officer in my fraternity, should have decent recs, will graduate a 4-time varsity letterman and have had a couple decent internships (both in finance).

I got a 167, but was PTing in the mid 170s the week before the test, so I'm pretty disappointed. I got crushed by the logic games section (-9 vs. -6 for the rest of the test) which was my weak point in practice.

I'd really like to go T10 and stay in NY/New England, but it seems like my best option may be to pack up and go back to TX (UT-Austin)

Should I retake? October is a bad date for me b/c of football but I'm hesitant to take the December date and be disadvantaged even more with the rolling admissions.

any help = +

If you don't mind the debt, just ED to NYU.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm

txdude45 wrote:I'm an AA male, 3.2 GPA from Yale University, officer in my fraternity, should have decent recs, will graduate a 4-time varsity letterman and have had a couple decent internships (both in finance).

I got a 167, but was PTing in the mid 170s the week before the test, so I'm pretty disappointed. I got crushed by the logic games section (-9 vs. -6 for the rest of the test) which was my weak point in practice.

I'd really like to go T10 and stay in NY/New England, but it seems like my best option may be to pack up and go back to TX (UT-Austin)

Should I retake? October is a bad date for me b/c of football but I'm hesitant to take the December date and be disadvantaged even more with the rolling admissions.

any help = +

With your score right now and a great app you should get into at least one t-10 school especially if you ED (but you will prob be paying sticker). I think HYS might be out (especially Y and S). But if you want to improve your chances a retake would be great, if you hit a 170 or higher you will have a great shot at CCN down...also your chances at Harvard will increase significantly

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Apply broadly across the T-14 & enjoy multiple offers !

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Should I retake in December? Studying for October would be really difficult given a full course load and being in-season. Would a 170+ and applying w/ December scores be better than applying earlier with my 167?

Postby 20121109 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm

txdude45 wrote:Should I retake in December? Studying for October would be really difficult given a full course load and being in-season. Would a 170+ and applying w/ December scores be better than applying earlier with my 167?

Apply with your 167 and inform schools that you will be retaking in December. Also ask them to hold your application until your new score comes in if you're feeling apprehensive. A 167/3.2 AA male should be safe all the way up to the T6...you may even get some of CCN with those stats. Blanket the T14 (no need to go any lower than that) and apply as early as possible. :)

You'll have a great cycle, love. Good luck <3

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Last question (i swear it).

Is it worth it to apply to HYS? Above 170 and I would have applied without a second thought, but now I feel like I'd be throwing money away. I hit Stanford's 25th LSAT, a consolation prize of sorts, but still feel its a bridge too far.

Postby 20121109 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:30 pm

txdude45 wrote:Last question (i swear it).

Is it worth it to apply to HYS? Above 170 and I would have applied without a second thought, but now I feel like I'd be throwing money away. I hit Stanford's 25th LSAT, a consolation prize of sorts, but still feel its a bridge too far.

Please do not worry about asking questions! TLS is an information resource; you ask questions, informed people answer them! :)

A 3.2 is a little low for S and Y, no matter your LSAT score. Apply but don't hold your breath. H on the other hand is possible, but only if you break 170. I know two AA males who got into H with 170+/3.2 stats. They were both accepted outright, not WLed, around February. Apply as early as you can to all three, and again, inform them that you're retaking in December. Wishing you the best!

Return to “What are my chances?”