Should I take a year off?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wisconsin2dc

Should I take a year off?

Postby wisconsin2dc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 pm

So I applied this past cycle with a 167 and a cancelled score (I had been pting anywhere from 171 to 174). My LSAD GPA at this point was a 3.63. I got into GWU and was planning on going. I took the June LSAT and received a 171. My GPA however has dropped to 3.57. I would only want to take a year off if I could get into a T14 because I love DC and would need a good reason to leave. What do you guys think? Is Georgetown, NYU, Columbia possible?

Also I am not a URM. I went on lawschoolnumbers but idk how the fact that i took the test three times will factor in to my results.

Any advice would be appreciated, this site has helped me tremendously in the past, and so i turn to you guys again.

Thanks

TTTehehe

Re: Should I take a year off?

Postby TTTehehe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 pm

wisconsin2dc wrote:So I applied this past cycle with a 167 and a cancelled score (I had been pting anywhere from 171 to 174). My LSAD GPA at this point was a 3.63. I got into GWU and was planning on going. I took the June LSAT and received a 171. My GPA however has dropped to 3.57. I would only want to take a year off if I could get into a T14 because I love DC and would need a good reason to leave. What do you guys think? Is Georgetown, NYU, Columbia possible?

Also I am not a URM. I went on lawschoolnumbers but idk how the fact that i took the test three times will factor in to my results.

Any advice would be appreciated, this site has helped me tremendously in the past, and so i turn to you guys again.

Thanks

Take the year off. 171 is worth waiting and reapplying. Do substantive work this year to pad your resume, and blanket the T14.

nailglue

Postby nailglue » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I literally just finished adding my cycle to LSN. My GPA was the same as your initial one, but LSAT was identical to your improved one. I am also a partial URM. However, I did apply super late at the end of January, so that affected my cycle as well. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nailglue

wisconsin2dc

Postby wisconsin2dc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm

My worry is that a lot of the schools average lsats so i would be applying with a 169 and a below median gpa. I think that I may have a shot for georgetown (I really only want to be in dc or new york), but i dont know if it is a strong enough of a shot to warrant a year off.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

wisconsin2dc wrote:My worry is that a lot of the schools average lsats so i would be applying with a 169 and a below median gpa. I think that I may have a shot for georgetown (I really only want to be in dc or new york), but i dont know if it is a strong enough of a shot to warrant a year off.

Schools are liars. No one averages LSATs. They will only care about your highest score because it's all the have to report to US News.

Money at GW? I think you should tell them that considering the abysmal employment prospects for the industry as a whole as well as their school (do some research so you can back this up--use LST or Rayiner's threads), you are going to withdraw and retake the LSAT unless they give you way more money. And then don't settle for less than 3/4 tuition. Otherwise, retake, get a year of WE and apply to the T14 with a shiny new 99th percentile score.

Return to “What are my chances?”