URM with 174, HYS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
logophilous

URM with 174, HYS?

Postby logophilous » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm an AA who spent the first two years at lib arts collage with a 3.43 GPA. Left there, spent a year at a large public school and came out with a 2.3 GPA including a couple of F's. I've gotten the LSAT score and am now trying to decide what are my chances for HYS.

Weak on softs and zero work experience over the course of 5 years.

Suggestions???
Last edited by logophilous on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixon02

Re: URM with 174, HYS?

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm

logophilous wrote:I'm a nontraditional student, AA female who spent the first three years at a little ivy with a 3.43 GPA. Left there, spent a year at a large public school and came out with a 2.3 GPA including a couple of F's and a lot of withdrawals. I've gotten the LSAT score and am now trying to decide whether to finish at the liberal arts college or go back to the large public and pay attention this time. The former would have me aiming for a 2014 start, the latter 2013.

Weak on softs, with the exception of a fellowship at the first school, and zero work experience over the course of 5 years. The LSAT score is however typical; I test well.

Suggestions???

Wait, so what is your overall GPA? Seems confusing.

Your cycle is going to be impossible to predict as a splitter URM. With weak softs and the various blips, Yale seems unlikely. After that, it's really hard to say. I would think you'd have at least a fighting chance everywhere else.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02 pm

A weighted average of your GPAs which is almost assuredly wrong but should get you to the right ballpark is 3.15. If this is anywhere close you should finish wherever you can raise your GPA the most and assuming that you are in too deep of a hole to get back to above 3.3, your best case scenario is going to probably be a scholarship to a MVP level school or sticker at CCN.

See: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dazzlingblue

HYS just don't dip that low even for URMs, but they are still worth the app fees. Anything is possible for splitter URMs.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 am

You'll probably get money from schools like Northwestern and Michigan. I'd ED to NYU, assume that's going to fall out, and then take whatever scholarship money you get.

EDIT> Actually, you probably have a pretty good shot at NYU ED. Do that.
Last edited by twenty on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 am

You will snag a T14 school, just not HYS.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:27 am

twentypercentmore wrote:You'll probably get money from schools like Northwestern and Michigan. I'd ED to NYU, assume that's going to fall out, and then take whatever scholarship money you get.

If OP can get his/her gpa above 3.2, NYU ED is basically a lock. Honestly, I wouldn't ED anywhere if you have above a 3.0. There's too much money to be had. I know a kid who got into NYU with 166 and below a 3.4.

logophilous

Postby logophilous » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You'll probably get money from schools like Northwestern and Michigan. I'd ED to NYU, assume that's going to fall out, and then take whatever scholarship money you get.

If OP can get his/her gpa above 3.2, NYU ED is basically a lock. Honestly, I wouldn't ED anywhere if you have above a 3.0. There's too much money to be had. I know a kid who got into NYU with 166 and below a 3.4.

This is extremely good news.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:02 pm

1. Calculate your LSAC GPA and come back.
http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

2. Are you still in school? Or did you just graduate?

Return to “What are my chances?”