Need advice: 2.78, 173 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splittertothemax

Need advice: 2.78, 173 LSAT

Postby splittertothemax » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 pm

So I'm an extreme splitter. Not going to make excuses for my GPA, sucks to suck.

GPA:2.78
LSAT: 173

Work Experience: Reverse Mortgage analyst at Wells Fargo.
Softs: Eagle Scout, Fraternity, Clubs

North Carolina residency.

Chances at:

Cornell
Wake Forest
UNC
Miami

Also would consider:

Pepperdine
Loyola LA

Anywhere else I should aim?

top30man

Re: Need advice: 2.78, 173 LSAT

Postby top30man » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Northwestern. Wustl. GULC. UVA. Search for the "guide to being a successful splitter." it's tremendous.

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Thank you, I'd do anything to take a mulligan on my GPA

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 pm

top30man wrote:Northwestern. Wustl. GULC. UVA. Search for the "guide to being a successful splitter." it's tremendous.

This, though UVA and GULC are probably a stretch. I was rejected form both and had a 2.79/173. Though I did just finish up 1L at NU, and I can assure you there are a bunch of us sub 3.0's here. Though I don't know how that's going to hold up under the new dean.

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Do you have a lawschoolnumbers account?

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:06 am

Any chance at Duke?

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:07 am

top30man wrote:Northwestern. Wustl. GULC. UVA. Search for the "guide to being a successful splitter." it's tremendous.

TITCR

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:08 am

splittertothemax wrote:Any chance at Duke?

No.

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:18 am

Damn. I mean obviously Cornell would be my dream school, but i think thats out the question as well.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 am

splittertothemax wrote:Do you have a lawschoolnumbers account?

Unfortunately I made one but never really updated it, and I have also forgotten all the log in info. If you want to PM me I can tell you where I applied and what the results were. Cornell is probably out. Really in the T14 you're looking at GULC, UVA, and NU, but UVA and GULC seem to have a 3.0 floor as of late.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

None. But send in a NU app early in the next cycle.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm

splittertothemax wrote:So I'm an extreme splitter. Not going to make excuses for my GPA, sucks to suck.

GPA:2.78
LSAT: 173

Work Experience: Reverse Mortgage analyst at Wells Fargo.
Softs: Eagle Scout, Fraternity, Clubs

North Carolina residency.

Chances at:

Cornell
Wake Forest
UNC
Miami

Also would consider:

Pepperdine
Loyola LA

Anywhere else I should aim?

Aim higher!!!! You're a mortal lock for WUSTL. early decision at Northwestern is probably your best bet and if you get in there, run do not walk to the mailbox and submit your deposit.

If you wanna stay in NC, I think you have a good shot obviously at Wake and UNC with your LSAT

LSAT>>>GPA

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 pm

I wouldn't go. What in the world were you doing in undergrad and what makes you think law school will go better for you?

I assume you probably did well on the SAT, but how did that work out in undergrad for you?

Edit: Would consider full scholarship somewhere. If you do well, you can transfer up. If you suck at school, you'll be glad you have a full scholarship because being at a better school for 1L wouldn't help you.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 pm

MrAnon wrote:I wouldn't go. What in the world were you doing in undergrad and what makes you think law school will go better for you?

I assume you probably did well on the SAT, but how did that work out in undergrad for you?

Edit: Would consider full scholarship somewhere. If you do well, you can transfer up. If you suck at school, you'll be glad you have a full scholarship because being at a better school for 1L wouldn't help you.

Eh, I don't know that that's fair to say. I personally spent the first 3 semesters of my undergrad drinking 10 beers a day and skipping class. Then I grew up. It's really not that rare of a thing.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 pm

MrAnon wrote:I wouldn't go. What in the world were you doing in undergrad and what makes you think law school will go better for you?

This is terrible advice. Especially the transfer part. Aim as high as you can. WUSTL w/money or NU are your best bets.

I know plenty of people who had terrible UGPA but killed it 1L, especially people who are a few years out of college and had a chance to grow up a little.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Icculus wrote:

This is terrible advice. Especially the transfer part. Aim as high as you can. WUSTL w/money or NU are your best bets.

I know plenty of people who had terrible UGPA but killed it 1L, especially people who are a few years out of college and had a chance to grow up a little.

This was me. 2.41 UGPA, total slacker without direction. Top 1% at a T-25. It's amazing what some time in the real world can do for your focus.

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 pm

My last two years I had a 3.4 cumulative gpa. My first two I was a typical freshmen that partied all the time. Granted I partied all the time my junior and senior years, but I was better at not drinking the day before a test. I got A's on all my papers that I handed in the day of haha. College isn't hard, anyone can get a 3.5 if they focused fully on studying (or not studying if your major includes no math or science).

I was an economics/accounting double major. My school was AACSB accredited and the accounting classes were considered harder than the life science classes.

I grew up

Final note. I noticed some people on here believe that majors are equal which leads to equal distribution of GPA's. I have a friend whose a Health Science major in microbiology, chem 2, Calc 2, cell biology, and Bio 2, and he's lucky to pull off a B in some of those classes. Majors are equal for law school admissions, but in real life no.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:07 pm

splittertothemax wrote:My last two years I had a 3.4 cumulative gpa. My first two I was a typical freshmen that partied all the time. Granted I partied all the time my junior and senior years, but I was better at not drinking the day before a test. I got A's on all my papers that I handed in the day of haha. College isn't hard, anyone can get a 3.5 if they focused fully on studying (or not studying if your major includes no math or science).

I was an economics/accounting double major. My school was AACSB accredited and the accounting classes were considered harder than the life science classes.

I grew up

Final note. I noticed some people on here believe that majors are equal which leads to equal distribution of GPA's. I have a friend whose a Health Science major in microbiology, chem 2, Calc 2, cell biology, and Bio 2, and he's lucky to pull off a B in some of those classes. Majors are equal for law school admissions, but in real life no.

I totally agree. And frankly I believe law schools agree, too. But because rankings are so important and a big part of that is the GPA they report, they are forced to not care about the difference between a 3.0 in hard sciences and a 3.5 in "individualized studies"

pballer

Postby pballer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:58 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
Icculus wrote:

This was me. 2.41 UGPA, total slacker without direction. Top 1% at a T-25. It's amazing what some time in the real world can do for your focus.

Also a 2.4 in undergrad (literally 1st percentile graduating), top 2% (98th percentile) at UGA law. People grow up; it happens.

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 pm

I'm not going to complain because the system is it what it is.

But I will say this. There's a REASON kids in math and science majors tend to be splitters (low GPA, high LSAT). A liberal arts major will never understand what it's like to study two weeks in advance for a test and then be told a 54 was the median grade.

Accounting at my school weeded out kids that thought they could hack business classes and that was easy Financial accounting. If you were in the 50 percent of the class to pass that you had managerial--> Corporate finance--> Advanced corporate finance to look forward too. Literally you got a high five if you got a D+ in financial your first time taking it.

Simply put, majors are not equal. The majority of health science and math majors have a higher IQ then people who took underwater basket weaving , hence many health and math majors score in 170+ range (economics majors actually score the highest on the LSAT looking at statistics).

The only way for colleges to require an accurate understanding of how intelligent one student is over another is if they went to the same school and completed the same course work.

Finally, engineering majors I don't envy you. I have a friend who got one question wrong on his DAT exam. He had a 2.4 petroleum engineering GPA. He got into Columbia dental school. Yet he would be laughed at Columbia law school even with a 180 LSAT.

Makes no sense.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:02 pm

splittertothemax wrote:I'm not going to complain because the system is it what it is.

But I will say this. There's a REASON kids in math and science majors tend to be splitters (low GPA, high LSAT). A liberal arts major will never understand what it's like to study two weeks in advance for a test and then be told a 54 was the median grade.

Accounting at my school weeded out kids that thought they could hack business classes and that was easy Financial accounting. If you were in the 50 percent of the class to pass that you had managerial--> Corporate finance--> Advanced corporate finance to look forward too. Literally you got a high five if you got a D+ in financial your first time taking it.

Simply put, majors are not equal. The majority of health science and math majors have a higher IQ then people who took underwater basket weaving , hence many health and math majors score in 170+ range (economics majors actually score the highest on the LSAT looking at statistics).

The only way for colleges to require an accurate understanding of how intelligent one student is over another is if they went to the same school and completed the same course work.

Finally, engineering majors I don't envy you. I have a friend who got one question wrong on his DAT exam. He had a 2.4 petroleum engineering GPA. He got into Columbia dental school. Yet he would be laughed at Columbia law school even with a 180 LSAT.

Makes no sense.

Under water basket weaving seems pretty hard, IMO.

But I agree with you on the rest.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 pm

splittertothemax wrote:I'm not going to complain because the system is it what it is.

Makes no sense.

Try being asked to memorize 1300 lines of Horace for translation. So I think I do understand.

But yes, I agree

splittertothemax

Postby splittertothemax » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:26 am

I honestly think that if the trend of LSAT takers and 170 scores hold up, the 2012-2013 cycle might be the most splitter friendly in the last 1-10 years. I hope all the negative press for law schools decreases applications.

lynch

Postby lynch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 am

fanmingrui wrote:

No.

Why?

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 am

lynch wrote:
fanmingrui wrote:

No.

Why?

GPA

Return to “What are my chances?”