Is my LSAC GPA going to destroy me?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AgentCircus

Is my LSAC GPA going to destroy me?

Postby AgentCircus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 am

Here's my story:

2001. My first attempt at college was a bust. I focused on working, so I just stopped going to classes, didn't realize you could actually drop - and so my transcripts from this first stint at college is loaded with 2 Fs, Incompletes, No Credits (which I'm pretty sure LSAC will calculate as a Fail), etc.
GPA: 0.937

2008. Started attending Community College, wanted to fulfill my GE requirements. I did really well, earning a 3.953. I applied to UCLA. In spite of my first failed attempt, UCLA gave me a chance and accepted me. Since UCs don't transfer grades (they only count the credits), I had a clean slate to start fresh. I just graduated UCLA magna cum laude.
GPA: 3.825.

Looking at how LSAC calculates grades I'm seeing that there is no escaping my past. After reading the LSAC site, I will have to send them my transcripts from the first school I went to even if they already show up on my UCLA transcripts. Unlike UCLA, it appears that they will factor in my Fs and Incompletes into the GPA.
Estimated LSAC GPA: 3.335

Obviously my LSAT will factor in (registered for October 6, taking the Blueprint Prep first), but by my GPA alone am I completely ruined? Obviously there has been an upward trend, but how will law schools view this? Are they going to look at me as a 3.335 caliber student or will they see that my GPA isn't representative of my academic ability? Do I even have a chance of going to a top 20? 30? 50? Should I take a later LSAT so I have more time to study for it? I took a practice test (having never seen the test before) a few days ago and got a 150, not sure how much I'll increase.

AreJay711

Re: Is my LSAC GPA going to destroy me?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:52 am

See if you can't work with the college to get the grades changed to something other than F's. I'm not sure how Incompletes and No Credit grades will be factored but it is worth seeing how LSAC treats them and potentially getting the Fs to changed to Incompletes or No Credits if there is a difference. You might also ask about retroactively withdrawing. The registrar and provost at most universities CAN make a lot of shit happen if you can convince them.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:59 am

3.3/150 is garbage, of course. Luckily for you, huge increases are possible and a 150 diagnostic is not bad at all. I went from 149 to 167 in 4 months. If you can get your LSAT score to median or above at any Tier 1 outside the top 18, you will have a decent shot at admission and even scholarships. That means about 160-168+. Dont take the LSAT until you are peaking. Good luck. This thread should help, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

mikeysoundtrack

Postby mikeysoundtrack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:48 pm

I am a nontrad student with almost identical numbers; 1997-2001 gpa:1.7
Graduated after 6 year gap from UNC with 3.6; LSAC gpa 3.13

I posted a couple topics and asked TLSers what my chances at UNC-law were, and most told me that my numbers were my numbers and schools wouldn't consider anything but my LSAC and LSAT (which was a 161), and that I really didn't stand a chance.

I was just admitted off the waitlist.

I completely agree w/ Nova. Get your LSAT up and you stand a chance at the top tier schools lower than T20.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:02 pm

mikeysoundtrack wrote:I am a nontrad student with almost identical numbers; 1997-2001 gpa:1.7
Graduated after 6 year gap from UNC with 3.6; LSAC gpa 3.13

I posted a couple topics and asked TLSers what my chances at UNC-law were, and most told me that my numbers were my numbers and schools wouldn't consider anything but my LSAC and LSAT (which was a 161), and that I really didn't stand a chance.

I was just admitted off the waitlist.

I completely agree w/ Nova. Get your LSAT up and you stand a chance at the top tier schools lower than T20.

WE can be a game changer and nontraditionals can be as hard to predict as URMs.....

That said, you can't count on it and has been said above the LSAT can be learned AND you have time to do it.... Definitely try and get the grades changed but it may or may not work. The LSAT is definitely within your control....

Good luck....

Oh, the 3.3 will only kill you in schools with a hard GA floor if you kill the LSAT.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:06 pm

wtf did you just type...you have a 3.3? you'll be fine...crush the lsat, enjoy nu/va/mich/whatever, profit

Return to “What are my chances?”