Mechanical Engineer looking to get into Night Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
td217

Mechanical Engineer looking to get into Night Law School

Postby td217 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like to briefly discuss my background and see what you all think about my chances for getting into a good night law program.

I live in the NYC area, so I'm particularly interested in my chances to get into Yeshiva or Brooklyn Law. I just took my first blind practice LSAT last night, so I am awaiting my score for that.

I have Bachelor's Degree's in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics in Statistics. The Mechanical Engineering G.P.A is 3.1/4.0 and the A.M.S G.P.A is 2.7/4.0 :oops:

I have a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering (specializing in Energy Technology). My G.P.A for that is 3.6/4.0.

In addition to the degrees I have some engineering work experience. Also, I would be at least 29 years old by the time I apply. Not sure how age factors in..

First, I'd like to know what LSAT score I would need to have a chance at the top night law programs in New York, or throughout the country. By the time I apply to the law school I hope to have passed the Patent Bar exam and preferably found a position with a patent firm that will support law school. Thus, I am interested in schools with good patent law programs.

I guess the key here, what can I do to overcome the relatively low undergraduate G.P.A's.

If there is any other advice, suggestions, or experience you can share, I am all ears.

Thank You.

Dr. Review

Re: Mechanical Engineer looking to get into Night Law School

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Having a graduate degree in engineering might help for job prospects, but won't do all that much for admissions. The big factors are undergrad cumulative GPA and LSAT score. The work experience might help, but it's secondary to the GPA/LSAT. At this point, your best bet is to score as high as you can on the LSAT to improve your chances.

What is your cumulative GPA for UG?

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Hopefully your cumulative comes out above 3.0. If so, no reason why you can't pick up BLS or Cardozo, or maybe even Fordham with a decent LSAT.

I'd go with whichever school offers you the most (read: lots and lots or don't go) money. Part time program might be a little less willing to shell out, but hey. You may also want to look into St. Johns and New York Law School.

Again, keep in mind that paying any more than 40k total for any of these schools is kind of a bad idea. Get lots of scholarship money by doing well on the LSAT, or don't bother.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

A chance? Median. A better chance? Above median.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 pm

td217 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like to briefly discuss my background and see what you all think about my chances for getting into a good night law program.

I live in the NYC area, so I'm particularly interested in my chances to get into Yeshiva or Brooklyn Law. I just took my first blind practice LSAT last night, so I am awaiting my score for that.

I have Bachelor's Degree's in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics in Statistics. The Mechanical Engineering G.P.A is 3.1/4.0 and the A.M.S G.P.A is 2.7/4.0 :oops:

I have a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering (specializing in Energy Technology). My G.P.A for that is 3.6/4.0.

In addition to the degrees I have some engineering work experience. Also, I would be at least 29 years old by the time I apply. Not sure how age factors in..

First, I'd like to know what LSAT score I would need to have a chance at the top night law programs in New York, or throughout the country. By the time I apply to the law school I hope to have passed the Patent Bar exam and preferably found a position with a patent firm that will support law school. Thus, I am interested in schools with good patent law programs.

I guess the key here, what can I do to overcome the relatively low undergraduate G.P.A's.

If there is any other advice, suggestions, or experience you can share, I am all ears.

Thank You.

It would depend on your LSAT score like you said. I would suggest at least a 160. I know Cardozo is really trying to increase their patent law students.

The best way to overcome a low GPA is to compensate with a high LSAT. The fact that you have a graduate degree will help immensely, but not enough to overcome a low LSAT.

ME2JD

Postby ME2JD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Hey man, it looks like we're basically twins. I'm currently attending a T2 evening program in the west coast and holding down my engineering job FT. I also have a MS and undegrad GPA similar to yours. Here are a few comments/suggestions.
1) Take a look at the avg LSAT scores for the evening programs that you are applying to and make sure you do as many practice problems that you're confident clearing those averages.
2) Based on my experience, law school will definitely factor in the difficulty of your undergrad GPA. Don't be discouraged because of your GPA, everyone knows a 2.7 in ME is not the same as a 3.5 in art history. Regarding your MS, I'm sure it helps with your soft factors.
3) Take the patent bar before going to law school. Im sure it helped when I applied. Also, when school kicks in, there's no way you can make time to study for the patent bar since your schedule is already on speed. I took the PLI course and passed the first time. Its straight memorizing, no need to derive the energy equation or know the ideal gas law.
4) Passing the patent bar will lead you to patent agent positions. I applied to this firm in NY as an agent after passing the exam, If i went with it they were going to pay me ~90k+ salary and pick up my tuition. Decided to pass it up since I had already gotten a job/law school lined up and didn't want to wait a another full cycle to reapply to NY schools. However, they reassured me that they have "ties" to the local evening law schools and would get me in. Was just too much of a risk for me and went with my gut.
5) Good luck. FYI, I find law school easier than engineering school.

Return to “What are my chances?”