3.22 uGPA, 3.35 LSDAS, 173 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
asoularisen

3.22 uGPA, 3.35 LSDAS, 173 LSAT

Postby asoularisen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:26 pm

No real softs to speak of (just some basic stuff, mock trial and such), I should have decent rec letters. My LSAT score will be about 2 and a half years old by the time I apply, if that makes any difference.

What are my chances at breaking top 10? MVP? Top 6 (with ED?)? Or would it be safer to use my ED with MVP rather than CCN?

Also, what kind of money could I get at lower ranked schools -- how low would I need to go before I can go debt free potentially? And will a retake help my odds in any way (I've been tutoring for the LSAT for over 2 years since I took it, so I'm pretty confident that I can go up to 176+)?

hdsoc

Re: 3.22 uGPA, 3.35 LSDAS, 173 LSAT

Postby hdsoc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 am

Hello number twin. I'll give you the same advice that I was given when I posted here. You should be T14 secure if you play your cards right, and you have a slim chance of getting T6. YHS are out. Without strong softs, I don't think you have a realistic shot at Chicago or Columbia, so I wouldn't waste your ED there. You have a chance at NYU, and I think if you put together a good package you should get at least one of MVP. Depending on whether you have work experience, NW is a good option.

In terms of going debt-free, unless you don't want big law or there's a small market you'd be happy in, splitters have to dip low enough that it's not worth it. I guess if you want to be somewhere in the midwest, WashU is an option. I knew I wanted to be in NY, and there isn't a good option there, so perhaps somebody else can help you.

If you re-take, getting above 175 can make a difference, but honestly, given your GPA, I don't think it will get you in anywhere with a 3.4/3.5 floor. You're already above the 75th percentiles almost everywhere else. Probably the only place it could make a difference is NYU.

If I were you, I'd think hard about what market you want to be in, and ED at one of NYU/MVP.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am

You will get into the T14. But,
1) Expect to get waitlisted at multiple places
and
2) Expect to not get a lot of scholarship money

This being said, you're probably in at Northwestern, Georgetown, Duke, and/or Cornell.

You will probably be waitlisted, and you may be accepted, at MVP.

I would ED to NYU, Penn, or UVA depending on your preferences. From LSN though NYU definitely looks possible.

HYS are out. CC are out.

jeff_lebowski

Postby jeff_lebowski » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:You will get into the T14. But,
and

This being said, you're probably in at Northwestern, Georgetown, Duke, and/or Cornell.

I would ED to NYU, Penn, or UVA depending on your preferences. From LSN though NYU definitely looks possible.

HYS are out. CC are out.

disagree

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:18 pm

jeff_lebowski wrote:
and

HYS are out. CC are out.

disagree

Why? LSN seems to back this up. I'd expect that these numbers with WE get you into NU. If not work experience, less likely.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:25 pm

dixon02 wrote:
jeff_lebowski wrote:
and

HYS are out. CC are out.

disagree

Why? LSN seems to back this up. I'd expect that these numbers with WE get you into NU. If not work experience, less likely.

Good shot at Mich, Cornell, Georgetown and NU if you have WE.
You're going to be WL at Duke and UVA for sure w/o an ED (In at UVA w/ ED but idk about duke because they seem to not like low GPA's, I got in off the WL with a 3.5, 173).
Penn is also a likely WL without ED.

This may change due to the recent decrease in applicants but this is how it was in my cycle.

jeff_lebowski

Postby jeff_lebowski » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:45 pm

dixon02 wrote:
jeff_lebowski wrote:
and

HYS are out. CC are out.

disagree

i might have missed it, but op didn't mention we.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 am

No WE that'd be terribly relevant here (one internship at a law firm and 2 years as an LSAT tutor for The Princeton Review) in terms of my admissions likelihood, so I guess my main dilemma now is where to place my ED. I really would like it if I didn't dip below MVP (and I really like Michigan and Virginia), but at the same time if ED'ing NYU could get me in there, that'd be pretty sweet. Should I play it safe and ED Virginia or Michigan or try for NYU? I'd hate to gamble the ED on NYU, not get in, and lose a decent shot at MVP while I was at it...

NJPitcher

Postby NJPitcher » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 am

UVA you can ED at any time, so you can ED to NYU or MP and then if that doesn't work out you can switch your app to ED at V. My guess is NYU is the most likely success story for you, since the bigger class let's you be an LSAT boost without the low GPA doing much harm. I don't see another LSAT helping you much, given that you're already above median at any school you should be considering.

I'd expect a lot of WL from any RDs, and then enough success from one or two WL to make you happy. This is merely based on personal experience, as well as the way things seem to be going for splitters this year. Who knows what next year brings.

As for $$, UCLA/Vandy on down will likely give you money with your LSAT. Debt free is another story though, and would likely require a pretty severe dip.

Where do you want to work?

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 pm

NJPitcher wrote:UVA you can ED at any time, so you can ED to NYU or MP and then if that doesn't work out you can switch your app to ED at V. My guess is NYU is the most likely success story for you, since the bigger class let's you be an LSAT boost without the low GPA doing much harm. I don't see another LSAT helping you much, given that you're already above median at any school you should be considering.

I'd expect a lot of WL from any RDs, and then enough success from one or two WL to make you happy. This is merely based on personal experience, as well as the way things seem to be going for splitters this year. Who knows what next year brings.

As for $$, UCLA/Vandy on down will likely give you money with your LSAT. Debt free is another story though, and would likely require a pretty severe dip.

I guess the only small market I really had in mind was somewhere in Dallas/Texas, since that's where I've gone to college and it's where my closest friends are and such... But Dallas really only has SMU, which is a pretty big dip, and Texas in general has UT, which I think my GPA is too low for. Outside of that, I have little preference as to where I'd want to work -- it's just about finding the best job I can find coming out of law school.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:18 pm

asoularisen wrote:
NJPitcher wrote:UVA you can ED at any time, so you can ED to NYU or MP and then if that doesn't work out you can switch your app to ED at V. My guess is NYU is the most likely success story for you, since the bigger class let's you be an LSAT boost without the low GPA doing much harm. I don't see another LSAT helping you much, given that you're already above median at any school you should be considering.

I guess the only small market I really had in mind was somewhere in Dallas/Texas, since that's where I've gone to college and it's where my closest friends are and such... But Dallas really only has SMU, which is a pretty big dip, and Texas in general has UT, which I think my GPA is too low for. Outside of that, I have little preference as to where I'd want to work -- it's just about finding the best job I can find coming out of law school.

Sounds like the best option is to ED NYU, blanket the bottom half of T14, Vandy, Texas. Get your apps out immediately once the window opens. If you get dinged at NYU, switch the ED to UVA. I would think that with an ED to UVA you stand a very good chance.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:51 pm

I'll be at UChi next year with a 3.3/175, so it is definitely not out but you will almost certainly be WLed at UChi and NYU regardless of ED.

If I were doing it again next year, I would probably ED to your preference of MVP and ride out whatever other waitlists come your way if that ED doesn't work out. You will almost assuredly get off of multiple WLs by the time June rolls around, just be ready to be flexible.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Duke's GPA floor is 3.5, so I would call that one unlikely.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Well, I am kind of a numbers twin. A rounded up 3.4 (top5) / 173 and 2 years WE that aren't great.

Based on my number crunching of LSN and my application experience this cycle:

Michigan = You'll get merit scholly money without an ED (45-67k, depending) with probably 90% of acceptance. This is probably your best value in the top 10 with scholly and low cost of living. 100% with an ED, and I think you'll still get about 45k in merit with an ED.
Virginia = I got in RD, but I think it's about a 60% chance here? 100% with an ED.
Penn = Probably waitlist with RD, but about 40% chance of acceptance. Basically 100% with an ED.
Berkeley = Probably reject. Didn't apply here.

Columbia = Waitlist. They have a 3.4 floor but if apps keep decreasing next year you might squeeze in?
Chicago = Wait list with RD, and about a 70% shot with ED.
NYU = Your best shot of getting in is with an ED. ED = like 80% chance, RD = 30% or so. I just got in off the WL.

Others notables: I got into Cornell (scholly), Georgetown ($$$), Northwestern of WL, and withdrew from Duke when I was WL. That pretty much goes with what was expected statistically, I believe, this cycle.

You can PM me for more info if you want. But OP you should be in great shape without any EDs. I did not receive a single straight out rejection this cycle. Just figure out with school out of CCN you really want and ED that, unless you would prefer one of MVP.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for the information, everyone. I'm thinking pretty strongly about ED'ing to Michigan or NYU. I appreciate all the input.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

How did your GPA jump so high from UG to LSDAS?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Depends upon your priorities. If you want a T-14 with substantial scholarship money, then ED Northwestern; but, if you just want to get admitted to the highest ranked law school, then ED NYU or Penn.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:18 pm

MTH2 wrote:How did your GPA jump so high from UG to LSDAS?

My school awards a 4.0 for A+s as opposed to a 4.33 (which I have a good amount of) and I've had a few community college courses during the summer that I've gotten As in.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Conventional wisdom is that ED at Mich is not usually worth it bc they publicly admit they don't give a huge boost to ed applicants.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Conventional wisdom is that ED at Mich is not usually worth it bc they publicly admit they don't give a huge boost to ed applicants.

I guess I'll have to throw my ED to UVA, then. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “What are my chances?”