Sigh, really sad / need advice on cancellation

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
izy223

Re: Sigh, really sad / need advice on cancellation

Postby izy223 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:50 pm

i was too lazy to read everyone elses comments but ill just comment on my own experiance, i had the same thing pting in mid 170's took the june test thought i bombed RC so assumed i would get a 168 and retake - ended up with a 162- i guess bombing the RC threw me out of kilter, i retook and got a 176.

Although i wrote an addendum and everything I think it may have hurt my chances at HY (didnt apply to S). Though i agree schools dont average lsats i think that seeing a 162 hurt my chances, if your positive you did only a little worse then your pt then keep the score but if your unsure and you may have gotten a 162-163 it will def hurt your chances

ETA i am still on the waitlist at HLS (gps 3.87 strong softs)

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 pm

izy223 wrote:i was too lazy to read everyone elses comments but ill just comment on my own experiance, i had the same thing pting in mid 170's took the june test thought i bombed RC so assumed i would get a 168 and retake - ended up with a 162- i guess bombing the RC threw me out of kilter, i retook and got a 176.

Although i wrote an addendum and everything I think it may have hurt my chances at HY (didnt apply to S). Though i agree schools dont average lsats i think that seeing a 162 hurt my chances, if your positive you did only a little worse then your pt then keep the score but if your unsure and you may have gotten a 162-163 it will def hurt your chances

ETA i am still on the waitlist at HLS (gps 3.87 strong softs)

In fairness, your GPA is below median at Harvard, while OPs is above the 75th. That makes a much, much bigger difference than having a previous 162. It might be what got you waitlisted, but OP would be unlikely to get waitlisted at Harvard with a 162/176/4.0+.

curiousme

Postby curiousme » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:20 am

rbkl wrote: I really do think I have a good chance at those top schools. I apologize if I have offended anyone about the other schools, but I have just heard too many horror stories, which is why I am T6 or bust. This could definitely be the wrong mentality and please feel free to offer your opinion.

Working hard for a high GPA is commendable, and given the current hoopla about the job market I see and understand your concern. However another way you could look at it is not that T6 is the only way to get a job, but that with your GPA, softs, and score (whether from this test or the next), you could stand a good chance of a full ride at a lower ranked school. T6 may give you better name-brand, but consensus seems to be they also saddle you with monstrous debt... so you kinda have to go where the money is, rather than aggressively pursing what you really love post-grad. Come out of law school with a degree and NO debt? Now that is freedom to do what you want!

EDIT: that is, I'm assuming the horror stories you mention are about the job market....

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:55 am

From my experience this cycle, CCN does not average. My first LSAT was a 166. I took LSAT 3 times and I got into NYU. I also got 60-100k schollies at other T14s. And that's with a 3.4 GPA (top 5 UG).

And OP don't worry about too much about the criticism in the thread. I'm sure you realize a difference between 4 points for you can be a full ride at CCNMVP or close to sticker, so I would probably just retake and be done with it. Either that or you can just go the consulting / banking route. But I think I would retake either way. I mean, that extra 30 hours or so you spend to reprep (or maybe you'll spend less than that. I know I only spent 15 hours for my third attempt and bumped my score to my PT average) may actually yield you 100k+ in scholly money. If we just assume it's 100k more in scholly money and you spent 30 hours to retake it, that's $3333/hour. Now that is a killer wage.

Retake if you think you can do better. It's only 30 more hours or so, but potentially the most lucrative 30 hours of your life.
Last edited by thelawyler on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 am

Samara wrote:I think you're greatly overstating the value of YSHCCN, unless you're dead set on academia or clerking, but anyhoo...

Overt, egregious, and unreasonable GULC trolling. Someone call Bils or rayiner please.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Cancelling would be stupid, just see your score and retake if it's not sufficient for your goals.

Return to “What are my chances?”