Same college, same acceptance?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
piney

Same college, same acceptance?

Postby piney » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 pm

I went to a top 10 liberal arts and graduated in 2007. Someone I know in my graduating class was accepted into the T14 when he applied a few years ago. His GPA was a 3.4, mine is a 3.5. If I get the same LSAT score as he did, can I expect to get into the same schools, or are there other important factors? I ask because when I look at lawschoolnumbers.com, there aren't many people accepted into the T14 with the same numbers as him, and I'm wondering whether part of it was that he went to an elite college for his undergrad.

Band A Long

Re: Same college, same acceptance?

Postby Band A Long » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm

3.5 > 3.4

Also, why shoot for the same LSAT score, why not just do better (as you have academically)? If you get an identical LSAT & GPA as someone you'll probably do about the same once they start making decisions, but it's sounds like that's pretty far away for you, brah.

piney

Postby piney » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Band A Long wrote:...why not just do better (as you have academically)?

I'd have to get something close to a 180. I haven't taken a diagnostic, and I have 5 more months to prepare, but the test is harder than I thought, and I'm beginning to doubt I can even do as well as he did. How do I prepare like the people do in China where they all get 1600s on the SATs?

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm

piney wrote:
Band A Long wrote:...why not just do better (as you have academically)?

I'd have to get something close to a 180. I haven't taken a diagnostic, and I have 5 more months to prepare, but the test is harder than I thought, and I'm beginning to doubt I can even do as well as he did. How do I prepare like the people do in China where they all get 1600s on the SATs?

flame?

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 am

piney wrote:I'd have to get something close to a 180. I haven't taken a diagnostic, and I have 5 more months to prepare, but the test is harder than I thought, and I'm beginning to doubt I can even do as well as he did.

5 months is a lot of time. There are innumerable threads in the LSAT prep subforums here that can get you an intense study plan and at least make sure you do the best you can. A 3.5 GPA will be well spent if you can get a solid LSAT score. But really it just seems like you're working at this backwards — get your score first, or at least take some practice tests, and then see how things are shaping up. Lawschoolnumbers.com will help you figure out what schools could be likely (if you have a novel question you can also ask on TLS but make sure you already have an LSAT score or people will throw tomatoes at you). GL.

Return to “What are my chances?”