Thought I was competitive until I found this forum...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pinkcamellia

Re: Thought I was competitive until I found this forum...

Postby pinkcamellia » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:15 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Come back when you have a real LSAT score.

Come back when you have a real GPA. No reason to be snotty toward somebody looking for advice.

LOL what? Chill out, even the OP didn't get butthurt about my casual comment. My intention wasn't to be snotty. If you keep reading, you can see that I later explain why people on this site don't tend to give advice without actual numbers (the volume of people coming in asking for hypotheticals would be enormous, and there's no point in idle speculation).

If anything, you're the one being snotty by making a snide, unnecessary comment about my GPA. You mad I got into 3 T14s with a 2.8, bro? ;)

oh he mad

patriclm

Postby patriclm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:00 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Come back when you have a real GPA. No reason to be snotty toward somebody looking for advice.

LOL what? Chill out, even the OP didn't get butthurt about my casual comment. My intention wasn't to be snotty. If you keep reading, you can see that I later explain why people on this site don't tend to give advice without actual numbers (the volume of people coming in asking for hypotheticals would be enormous, and there's no point in idle speculation).

If anything, you're the one being snotty by making a snide, unnecessary comment about my GPA. You mad I got into 3 T14s with a 2.8, bro? ;)

Didn't particularly like your first comment, tbh. So I chose to ignore it and respond to your more constructive second post.

patriclm

Postby patriclm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 am

flem wrote:
patriclm wrote:Assuming that I get a 170 to 180:

no

Also

Grizz wrote:Image

HTH

Thinking back on it, i should have rephrased my question to "what score do I need with my non-existent softs and not-so-awesome school." Thinking even further back, I should have familiarized myself further with this forum before posting anything and at all; ensuring that I post in the right place. Yet again, so sorry..

patriclm

Postby patriclm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 am

Br3v wrote:1. UG does not matter

2. Extra sifts will not matter (better use of time take extra class raise gpa)

3. Break 175 ish on LSAT great shot at H.
Break 170 very great shot at several T14, apply all.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 am

patriclm wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Didn't particularly like your first comment, tbh. So I chose to ignore it and respond to your more constructive second post.

Bolded = why you are chill person and why the other dude was being snide and unhelpful. Sorry if it seems harsh, but that's sort of the general consensus on these boards - hypotheticals are pretty useless when it comes to predicting what your cycle will actually look like. Anyone can say they 'expect a 175' but if they end up getting a 170, the advice will be quite different regardless of their GPA. We don't want to mislead people, but it also gets tiring responding to a million "I have a X.X - assuming I score a 170-180, where can I get in?" posts. Sometimes frequent posters get blunt in their attempt to deliver information but not type the same diatribe over and over again. Apologies if it comes off as anything but factual, and thanks for being cool about it instead of flipping out and attacking me (:

patriclm

Postby patriclm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:26 am

ze2151 wrote:well... you seem like a really intelligent, driven person. if you are going to score a 170 on the LSAT, then you are in the upper echelon of intelligence, no doubt about it. what revs your engines so much about legal practice? following are a few initial thoughts i had about your situation, granting that i know next to nothing about you personally.

1. You're smart, you like to have a plan, and you've got a business degree. what's stopping you from building a better mousetrap in some other field, or at least selling that better mousetrap? why not secure a loan to start a business? Or work in business? From the way you describe yourself, it's clear you've got marketable skills. You may have to start small, but you'll be starting small without being saddled with massive amounts of debt that can never be discharged.

2. If you can get your masters in accounting and get a job as an accountant in one year, why wouldn't you do that? Is the object of the game to do meaningful work or make big bucks? Either way you answer, you've got just as good of a shot achieving that object without the JD as with it, ESPECIALLY if you are going to take out beaucoup bucks to get the JD.

If you are independently wealthy, well, that would change things.

Might sound cliche, but it is the power of the word that interests me about law. Persuasion through words. Furthermore, professions and, more generally, life are so intertwined with the law. For example, GAAP's principles, procedures and standards that accountants have to adhere to are heavily influenced by the law. That is what differentiates us from Europe. Europe is less litigious and follows, in many instances, more lax rules when it comes to accounting because of this reason. So there you have it: The logic - or lack of logic - found in accounting is often driven by the law itself here in the U.S..

Don't know if I am smart. But I am confident that with ample practice I'll do fairly well on the LSAT. In other words, I believe that I have the aptitude coupled with the will to reach my aim.

1. Opening a business doesn't interest me. And yes, I'd like to think that I have a plan. That's why I didn't go for a liberal arts degree and put all my eggs into one basket. Regarding the debt, surely we've all heard the horror stories of late. Students with massive debt working at minimum-wage paying jobs, completely unrelated to their field. I believe that majoring in accounting will lessen the chances of that scenario. However, I also believe that getting into a top-ranked school will also ensure that doesn't happen.

2. Both are important to me. I want to make "big bucks" and ensure that what I do is meaningful and rewarding. But like I said, I have that romantic notion going on..
Last edited by patriclm on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

patriclm

Postby patriclm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:29 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Thanks. Was thinking something similar. Although, didn't check out his previous posts and look into his GPA issues.

That said, wouldn't have been a good idea for the OP to go on the offensive in that manner.

patriclm

Postby patriclm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:33 am

[/quote] Didn't particularly like your first comment, tbh. So I chose to ignore it and respond to your more constructive second post.[/quote]
Bolded = why you are chill person and why the other dude was being snide and unhelpful. Sorry if it seems harsh, but that's sort of the general consensus on these boards - hypotheticals are pretty useless when it comes to predicting what your cycle will actually look like. Anyone can say they 'expect a 175' but if they end up getting a 170, the advice will be quite different regardless of their GPA. We don't want to mislead people, but it also gets tiring responding to a million "I have a X.X - assuming I score a 170-180, where can I get in?" posts. Sometimes frequent posters get blunt in their attempt to deliver information but not type the same diatribe over and over again. Apologies if it comes off as anything but factual, and thanks for being cool about it instead of flipping out and attacking me (:[/quote]

All good. Should have known better. I bet if I checked out the forums more often and got more active myself I would see posts like mine as well. Wouldn't be too happy about it after familiarizing myself with the rules either. Indeed, repetitive and pointless.

I'll make sure that I get to know the rules and etiquette of this forum before posting my next question.

LoTeryjouRneL01

Postby LoTeryjouRneL01 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”