Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Last edited by djwjddl on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Re: ED to Chicago

Postby twenty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:56 pm

You're in, but why ED? Two points on the LSAT make you competitive for munnies.

Are you retaking in June?

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Already took it three times so I have to live with my stats and leverage everything else possible to get into the top 5. Seems like Chicago is the only school that makes sense for me to apply early to, given that it'a the only top 5 I have a realistic chance of getting in.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:16 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You're in, but why ED? Two points on the LSAT make you competitive for munnies.

Are you retaking in June?

Is this really a for sure in? Not debating, it's an actual question.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:52 pm

He's 1-2 LSAT points down from being competitive RD (and he's well over the median GPA). I don't know how much of a real boost Chicago's ED gives, but since he's just barely on the outside of RD, I'd think ED would push him in. I guess I probably should have pointed this out in my original post.

It's a shame he can't retake. A 171-172 would give him some serious options.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 pm

No.

Chicago's medians for c/o 2014 is 3.87/171, so you're below both medians.

ED won't save you if your numbers are below both medians, and you're below both medians unless the medians fall.

You might still want to ED since you're almost definitely not getting in RD, let alone RD with money, but remember that if you get in ED (unlikely), you won't have a chance to entertain other options (e.g. lower T14 with $) or negotiate for money.

canes

Postby canes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:46 am

soj wrote:No.

ED won't save you if your numbers are below both medians, and you're below both medians unless the medians fall.

You might still want to ED since you're almost definitely not getting in RD, let alone RD with money, but remember that if you get in ED (unlikely), you won't have a chance to entertain other options (e.g. lower T14 with $) or negotiate for money.

Complete b/s... You have an good chance of getting in.

Source: I go here; friends share LSAT scores and GPAs with each other, and plenty of people don't have those numbers, much less that UG degree.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:01 am

canes wrote:

Complete b/s... You have an good chance of getting in.

Source: I go here; friends share LSAT scores and GPAs with each other, and plenty of people don't have those numbers, much less that UG degree.

This is kind of sad if true, but I'll play. What kind of numbers do your friends have? Softs/URM? Are they actually below both medians like OP is, or below just one median (e.g. 3.9/166)?

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:04 am

4.0/169, WL'd ED.

Worth a shot, because people got in with a lower LSAT &/or GPA, but you are not in for sure. Also had great recs, good resume, etc etc. Still riding the waitlist.

JohnDorian

Postby JohnDorian » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 am

JohnDorian wrote:
djwjddl wrote:GPA: 3.85
LSAT: 169
Undergrad: Top 3 Ivy
Softs: great recs, BB ibd legal department for 2 years.
Type of app: Early

You're almost mirroring a majority of the ED's from last year that got in. Without ED you have a chance at getting in, I've seen numbers going both ways.

Be careful of EDing though, you'll lose chances you otherwise might have at scholarships, or using other school's scholarships to bargain. It's never a choice you can take back and you'll occasionally wonder "what if I didn't ED and got in to this and NYU with money and used my scholarship to bargain" or "why didn't I at least try for harvard/stanford."

I don't typically buy the "you're below both medians" thing because Chicago's medians are boosted by the ruby scholarship (full ride for people with much higher numbers). Check out LSN for yourself, I've obsessed pretty heavily around this cycle's numbers and they should back what I'm saying--especially for those who are in the first batch of RDs (you have to apply early-a majority of WLs and dings at Chicago are those who apply later in the cycle).

If you look back in previous years, you'll see applicants with OP's numbers actually did better last year and in years when there was no Ruby. The Ruby raises medians and makes it harder, not easier, for people with iffy numbers to get in.

JohnDorian

Postby JohnDorian » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:16 am

-

Return to “What are my chances?”