Odds at getting off UVA waitlist or try for T14 next cycle?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
spw

Odds at getting off UVA waitlist or try for T14 next cycle?

Postby spw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm currently sitting on the waitlist at UVA after a (late) ED attempt. I was somewhat surprised to make the WL in the first place, with 165 LSAT and a GPA in the low 3s. I do have pretty good softs and I'm in-state, however. Anyway, I'm retaking the LSAT in June. After really buckling down and studying, I've been practicing at 171 consistently. For prediction's sake, let's say I hit a number in the low 170s.

My questions: will the new LSAT score give me a good shot at getting off UVA's waitlist?
If it doesn't work out, should I try to reapply next cycle to UVA/GULC or another T14? Or simply head off to W&M/W&L in the fall?

'Preciate the input. :)

Law Sauce

Re: Odds at getting off UVA waitlist or try for T14 next cycle?

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Getting off waitlist is pretty much a crap shoot, depends on what they need and on who enrolls or withdraws.

I definitely think that you should reapply next year. UVA is far better than W&L, and, since you are instate, if you get a 170, you will be in (probably in under RD, definitely in with an ED). The year off will also make you look better for OGI.

spw

Postby spw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:30 pm

One other issue that may or may not factor in: my final semester of UG was pretty sub-par (below 3.0); took it easy because I never thought I'd have to worry about reapplying. How much will this hurt me in the reapply attempt? My cumulative GPA didn't take much of hit, but the grade trend probably doesn't look too attractive.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

spw wrote:One other issue that may or may not factor in: my final semester of UG was pretty sub-par (below 3.0); took it easy because I never thought I'd have to worry about reapplying. How much will this hurt me in the reapply attempt? My cumulative GPA didn't take much of hit, but the grade trend probably doesn't look too attractive.

If didn't change overal gpa, probably doesn't matter much. A big bump in lsat score will do more than a small reduction in gpa. See how June goes and then decide. I'd ED to UVa with a 170 or above. Longer shot with 169 on down since the median is 170. If you don't break 170, then its a tougher decision

I mean you never know, with a better lsat, maybe you will get into UVa this year.

spw

Postby spw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for your insight. If anyone else has something to add, I'd love to hear it!

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Yup, retake and reapply. If you get lower than 170 in June, study and retake again. A 168-169 might be good enough for Cornell and Michigan, but probably not.

Return to “What are my chances?”