Should I even bother?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UltraNonTraditional

Re: Should I even bother?

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Fri May 25, 2012 4:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:That explains it, then. There are various ways LSAC will calculate a GPA differently than a school will, and the 2.0 at the first school makes it mathematically possible to end up at 2.5.

Anyway, OP, others have given you pretty solid advice. You seem to understand that school choice has a lot to do with employability, not just higher pay and prestige. Bust your ass studying for the LSAT, possibly retaking it if you need to, and when you have the absolute highest score you think you can achieve, take another look at whether the schools it could get you into are worth the risk and cost.

Plugging your grades into the calculator at lawschoolpredictor.com, I get a 1.97 LSAC GPA for the first school, and a 2.58 overall. Anyone else feeling bored and want to check it?

Now see, the first time I did it, I ended up with a 2.58 overall (which, I think, is what I posted in my op).

This time, I came up with a 2.6. I'm not even going to bother to try a third time. LOL. I'll take your word for it at the 2.58.

Did you account for the difference in credits (4 at the first school and 3 at the second)? Or does that matter??

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Fri May 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Just FYI - I'm a she. :lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:33 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:That explains it, then. There are various ways LSAC will calculate a GPA differently than a school will, and the 2.0 at the first school makes it mathematically possible to end up at 2.5.

Anyway, OP, others have given you pretty solid advice. You seem to understand that school choice has a lot to do with employability, not just higher pay and prestige. Bust your ass studying for the LSAT, possibly retaking it if you need to, and when you have the absolute highest score you think you can achieve, take another look at whether the schools it could get you into are worth the risk and cost.

Plugging your grades into the calculator at lawschoolpredictor.com, I get a 1.97 LSAC GPA for the first school, and a 2.58 overall. Anyone else feeling bored and want to check it?

Now see, the first time I did it, I ended up with a 2.58 overall (which, I think, is what I posted in my op).

This time, I came up with a 2.6. I'm not even going to bother to try a third time. LOL. I'll take your word for it at the 2.58.

Did you account for the difference in credits (4 at the first school and 3 at the second)? Or does that matter??
Yes, the number of credits does matter, and yes, I took it into account. So I guess a 2.58 is what you can go on for now. Get going on that LSAT study!

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:Thanks so much. One thing I love about this site is that you guys shoot straight from the hip.

We have also designated hotkeys on our keyboards to spit out "RETAKE ED UVA". Sometimes it just kind of comes out halfway through a...::twitch::

I want to go to law school because I want to practice law in a firm that helps fathers get fair custody and support agreements.

Okay, now we're talking. Keep in mind I'm a 0L, and thus talking out of my rear, but your best bet is still to own the LSAT, get tons of scholarship money from a regional school, and network non-stop during your time at law school.

I suggested the MPP/MPA if you had a general "Oh, I got laid off, and now I want an advanced degree" mindset. If you're pretty certain about family law, go to law school (obviously dependent on how much scholarship money you get).

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:39 pm

If you don't want to practice and just want the title, there is the off court idea of the EJD

http://www.taftu.edu

Return to “What are my chances?”