chances at UConn - high(ish) LSAT, low GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
twostep08

chances at UConn - high(ish) LSAT, low GPA

Postby twostep08 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 pm

took the LSAT my junior year and got a 161 without studying. I'm a biomedical engineering major at UConn (which I'm hoping helps that I went to UConn for undergrad?), and I have 3.0 GPA (like a 2.97 if it really makes a difference). Now to be honest, I certainly could've tried harder, but my major is super hard to begin with and since I changed majors there were some semesters where I took an insane amount of credits. Also I have a minor in materials science & engineering. as for work experience, since i'm coming from a science background and recently decided id rather do law, i don't really have anything relevant. i did lab research for a semester. also, i reffed on campus for 3 years (and was promoted), and i recently got certified to ref high school football. i also tutored math at a nearby highschool for a semester my freshman year.

now my LSAT is in line for UConn obviously.. i should probably crack down studying and take it again though? as for my GPA, it is low, but will they recognize that i took a difficult major? i know for a fact i could easily have gotten good grades in anything else - i was on the dean's list the semester before i switched to engineering, and i've aced most of my electives without going to a single class. additionally, i dont know if it'll help, but since i switched in late, i took many of my classes without the proper prereq's (idk if there's a spot on the application for that) so maybe they'll look kindly upon that?

what, if anything, can i do to boost my chances? the summer is still somewhat early- is there any kind of job i can take that would look good that would hire for like 3 months? is it orthodox to go into a local law firm and just ask to intern? (im totally new to this so literally any advice would be fantastic)..

also as for letters of rec, where do most people get their 2 from- obviously its not like in high school where the teachers know everyone in the class; the majority of mine have been over 100 people and ive just been a number. i can ask my boss at work, but other than that im not really sure where to go.

TheZoid

Re: chances at UConn - high(ish) LSAT, low GPA

Postby TheZoid » Wed May 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Your major doesn't really matter. Your GPA is low (and below UConn's median). Your LSAT is not high or highish, it's right around UConn's median. You should retake the LSAT, crack 164 and you should be in good shape for UConn. Also, all the softs you mention don't matter much. Also food for thought, you should look into IP law with your science backround, though others on this site would know better w/r/t how appropriate your major was for that. The job at a law firm might help your post-grad employment chances, but will do little for your admission to law school. Again, study for and retake the LSAT. As for recs, they probably don't matter too much. I took two real shots in the dark and both accepted, and my cycle was fine for my numbers. FWIW, I was 2.6 ish/168 and accepted to UConn, so they're obviously potentially willing to bend on the GPA for a high LSAT, if it's high enough, and they like you otherwise. Good luck with your cycle.

ETA: if you got a 161 without studying, study for 3-4 months, crack 170 and look at the T-14. Also, if you can get that GPA to over a 3, it does matter, even compared to 2.97. Many schools have 3.0 floors...so don't take those schools out of play.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed May 23, 2012 4:08 pm

twostep08 & Nova wrote:took the LSAT my junior year and got a 161 without studying. Your effort is weak. Stop slacking. I'm a biomedical engineering major at UConn (which I'm hoping helps that I went to UConn for undergrad?),Maybe a little, but probably not. and I have 3.0 GPA (like a 2.97 if it really makes a difference). Now to be honest, I certainly could've tried harder Obviously, slacker. , but my major is super hard to begin with and since I changed majors there were some semesters where I took an insane amount of credits. Excuses are useless. Also I have a minor in materials science & engineering. as for work experience, since i'm coming from a science background and recently decided id rather do law, i don't really have anything relevant. i did lab research for a semester. also, i reffed on campus for 3 years (and was promoted), and i recently got certified to ref high school football. i also tutored math at a nearby highschool for a semester my freshman year. Its ok you dont have relevent work exp. Most applicants dont.

now my LSAT is in line for UConn obviously.. i should probably crack down studying and take it again though?Yeah, and actually try this time. as for my GPA, it is low, but will they recognize that i took a difficult major? They understand that hard science majors tend to have lower GPAs, but they really dont give a fuck i know for a fact i could easily have gotten good grades in anything else - i was on the dean's list the semester before i switched to engineering, and i've aced most of my electives without going to a single class. Cool story bro, but no one gives a fuck.additionally, i dont know if it'll help, but since i switched in late, i took many of my classes without the proper prereq's (idk if there's a spot on the application for that) so maybe they'll look kindly upon that? You can write them an addendum If you wish. It probably wont help.

what, if anything, can i do to boost my chances?Retake the LSAT in October the summer is still somewhat early- is there any kind of job i can take that would look good that would hire for like 3 months? is it orthodox to go into a local law firm and just ask to intern? (im totally new to this so literally any advice would be fantastic).. most law offices prefer 1Ls for interns. I got an internship by cold calling as a 0L (unpaid). I called over 50 law offices, and ended up with a few places that said they wouldnt mind me being their slave/secretary.

also as for letters of rec, where do most people get their 2 from- obviously its not like in high school where the teachers know everyone in the class; the majority of mine have been over 100 people and ive just been a number. i can ask my boss at work, but other than that im not really sure where to go.Try to get atleast 1 academic rec. Your boss would be a good rec too.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 23, 2012 4:10 pm

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com may help answer your questions.

161/2.97 should be an auto admit to UConn based on the lawschoolnumbers.com graph.

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm

There's nothing high about your LSAT. Hell, mine is a 169 and TLS still tells me it's SPS and to retake.
Last edited by 20130312 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

OP here

Nova wrote:
twostep08 & Nova wrote:most law offices prefer 1Ls for interns. I got an internship by cold calling as a 0L (unpaid). I called over 50 law offices, and ended up with a few places that said they wouldnt mind me being their slave/secretary.

now as a 0L, when you called, you just said like "i'll do whatever you need for whatever you'll pay me"? did any of them offer to pay you? and would you say this experience helped at all long/short term?
CanadianWolf wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com may help answer your questions.

161/2.97 should be an auto admit to UConn based on the lawschoolnumbers.com graph.

handy graph indeed! i guess i still should try to boost my lsat's a little bit to get into the safety zone.

also, if i retake them and only go up negligibly (or god forbid, go down), will that hurt me? like do i have anything to lose from retaking the lsats?

TheZoid wrote:Your major doesn't really matter. Your GPA is low (and below UConn's median). Your LSAT is not high or highish, it's right around UConn's median. You should retake the LSAT, crack 164 and you should be in good shape for UConn. Also, all the softs you mention don't matter much. Also food for thought, you should look into IP law with your science backround, though others on this site would know better w/r/t how appropriate your major was for that. The job at a law firm might help your post-grad employment chances, but will do little for your admission to law school. Again, study for and retake the LSAT. As for recs, they probably don't matter too much. I took two real shots in the dark and both accepted, and my cycle was fine for my numbers. FWIW, I was 2.6 ish/168 and accepted to UConn, so they're obviously potentially willing to bend on the GPA for a high LSAT, if it's high enough, and they like you otherwise. Good luck with your cycle.

ETA: if you got a 161 without studying, study for 3-4 months, crack 170 and look at the T-14. Also, if you can get that GPA to over a 3, it does matter, even compared to 2.97. Many schools have 3.0 floors...so don't take those schools out of play.

also, im a little curious since ive seen it a few times- if you're capable of getting like a 165+, how do you manage to get significantly below a 3.0? do these people have really good reasons (death in the family, hospitalized for a semester, etc) and their GPA becomes more or less meaningless? i feel im taking classes that are as hard as they come, and i cant imagine slacking off enough to lower my GPA any more

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed May 23, 2012 9:46 pm

twostep08 wrote:OP here

Nova wrote:
twostep08 & Nova wrote:most law offices prefer 1Ls for interns. I got an internship by cold calling as a 0L (unpaid). I called over 50 law offices, and ended up with a few places that said they wouldnt mind me being their slave/secretary.

now as a 0L, when you called, you just said like "i'll do whatever you need for whatever you'll pay me"? did any of them offer to pay you? and would you say this experience helped at all long/short term?m

Yeah. I tried to get a paid internship, but realistically, many 1Ls dont even get paid internships... so I was willing to take what I could get. I basically work as a paralegal, but the attorneys let me to court with them and also sit in on client meetings. I really enjoy it and think it has been a great experiance to "see how the sausage is made". The other benefits are a line on my resume and a solid reference. Definitely worth 10 hours a week over the course of a few months. It is not necessary, but I would recommend it.

twostep08 wrote:
also, im a little curious since ive seen it a few times- if you're capable of getting like a 165+, how do you manage to get significantly below a 3.0? do these people have really good reasons (death in the family, hospitalized for a semester, etc) and their GPA becomes more or less meaningless? i feel im taking classes that are as hard as they come, and i cant imagine slacking off enough to lower my GPA any more

I am a Sub 3.0/167 . I slacked, and I regret it. No excuses. Im really excited about having a fresh start, gpa wise.

pballer

Postby pballer » Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 pm

2.4/167 here. I promise there's always a way to slack more. Oh, and when you go to a school that hacks off 1/3 of a letter for each absence above the 3rd it's super easy to get the gpa lower. That said, I got my shit together in law school; I'd advise you to do the same if you want to get anything resembling a good job out of uconn law.

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 am

pballer wrote:2.4/167 here. I promise there's always a way to slack more. Oh, and when you go to a school that hacks off 1/3 of a letter for each absence above the 3rd it's super easy to get the gpa lower. That said, I got my shit together in law school; I'd advise you to do the same if you want to get anything resembling a good job out of uconn law.

i intend on it. its just in engineering, if you skip classes or whatever and fall behind, you could stare at formula derivations for hours and you may as well be reading chinese. i feel law school is the exact opposite- even in my darkest hour, if i devote time to it, ill still be able to read dense english text and get some meaning (whereas in sciences, you may literally get nowhere in hours).

but the "job market" is having me second guessing myself.. is it really that difficult to get a job out of law school if youre not from a top school? UConn is cheap, familiar, and its close to home, so its my top target. although if i actually follow through with busting my ass studying this summer, i should be able to improve my 161 (which as i said, was literally taken with no prep other than a proctored practice test- which i also got a 161 on). is it that much worth it to go to better schools?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 am

Yes, it is worth much more to go to the top law schools due to significantly higher & more lucrative job placement.

Simply put, attend a Top 14 law school or accept a law school scholarship to a school in the geographic region where you intend to practice.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 am

InGoodFaith wrote:There's nothing high about your LSAT. Hell, mine is a 169 and TLS still tells me it's SHIT PURE SHIT and to retake.

Lol, TITCR.

twostep08 wrote:OP here

Nova wrote:

now as a 0L, when you called, you just said like "i'll do whatever you need for whatever you'll pay me"? did any of them offer to pay you? and would you say this experience helped at all long/short term?
CanadianWolf wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com may help answer your questions.

handy graph indeed! i guess i still should try to boost my lsat's a little bit to get into the safety zone.

also, if i retake them and only go up negligibly (or god forbid, go down), will that hurt me? like do i have anything to lose from retaking the lsats?

TheZoid wrote:Your major doesn't really matter. Your GPA is low (and below UConn's median). Your LSAT is not high or highish, it's right around UConn's median. You should retake the LSAT, crack 164 and you should be in good shape for UConn. Also, all the softs you mention don't matter much. Also food for thought, you should look into IP law with your science backround, though others on this site would know better w/r/t how appropriate your major was for that. The job at a law firm might help your post-grad employment chances, but will do little for your admission to law school. Again, study for and retake the LSAT. As for recs, they probably don't matter too much. I took two real shots in the dark and both accepted, and my cycle was fine for my numbers. FWIW, I was 2.6 ish/168 and accepted to UConn, so they're obviously potentially willing to bend on the GPA for a high LSAT, if it's high enough, and they like you otherwise. Good luck with your cycle.

It's called being a fuckup/slacker, bro.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 am

twostep08 wrote:but the "job market" is having me second guessing myself.. is it really that difficult to get a job out of law school if youre not from a top school? UConn is cheap, familiar, and its close to home, so its my top target. although if i actually follow through with busting my ass studying this summer, i should be able to improve my 161 (which as i said, was literally taken with no prep other than a proctored practice test- which i also got a 161 on). is it that much worth it to go to better schools?

--LinkRemoved--

For the class of 2010,

LST wrote:Key Facts:
•57.5% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
•64.2% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•72.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 am

Here's a little insight that may help if you want more WE before making your decision: don't just cold call offices. Send them a letter first, briefly stating the essentials, such as your name, year, degree (if you think it's relevant), and why you want to work in their firm. Another few lines should be left to your strengths or qualities, which could be used as bullets (fraternity officer, honors student). Then call the office after the postage has enough time to reach their office and ask them if they got the letter.

Whether the internship is paid doesn't matter. What matters is the hours you put into it, and making sure they remember you for it. If you can possibly give them 40 hours/week, you will have planted a seed that will most likely stick and last long enough for a 1-2L SA position.

Return to “What are my chances?”