Last minute LSAT advice and chances at schools in my area

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nova

Re: Last minute LSAT advice and chances at schools in my area

Postby Nova » Tue May 22, 2012 5:31 pm

silentbob wrote: But, firstly, is this school one of those exceptions to the rule that only tier 1 is worth attending? And second, would I even have a shot at it with my score, or would I still need to retake?

First, No.

Second, not retaking in October, regardless of scoring 150-155 in June, would be a terrible and lazy decision. Its not just about gaining admission. Its about scholarship money. If you do end up attending a TTT like SIU, its best to take that dive with a substancial scholarship that has easy stipulations...

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm

You can take it if you want, (I have a 151 to my name, but my school doesn't care since I turned it right around and scored a 164 the next time) but you need to do the research and figure this stuff out. No one is going to hold your hand through the process.

Figure out your target school, figure out why it is your target school, what score you need to get in, and what score you need to get scholarships at your school. Scholarship scores are typically around or above the 75th percentile of the school's data.

You are wanting to enter one of this nation's most financially demanding type of schools that has far too many graduates in an economy that shows no signs of recovering..and you are clearly not prepared.

Figure your shit out, or you will be screwed over, busted up and spit out with $100,000+ debt tied to your name. And I mean this in the kindest way possible. I don't want you to make a horrible life decision without understanding what will happen if you mess this process up.

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

"Figure my shit out"??? Obviously, Ive looked at the stats to the schools I want, but theres always good advice to be had for those who ask, So I thought I would try a FORUM that was made for this PURPOSE, no need to be disrespectful, if your annoyed by the questions dont come to a forum and read them.

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 pm

btw, thanks to the ADVICE I recieved I have decided to withdraw from the June exam and study for the Oct. test.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue May 22, 2012 9:25 pm

silentbob wrote:btw, thanks to the ADVICE I recieved I have decided to withdraw from the June exam and study for the Oct. test.

Best of luck. You've really made the right choice in shifting your focus to October. As I'm sure has been reiterated since I last posted, start studying early and don't procrastinate. This is the last major factor in law school decisions and it can EASILY move you from "paying >$100,000 for a worthless degree" to "pretty nice scholarship or at least admission to a school worth attending." Spend a lot of time in the LSAT forum learning what people who've gotten great scores did to prepare and you'll figure out what you need to do. I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind answering a PM if you have any specific questions we can address. Again, good luck! :)

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 pm

silentbob wrote:"Figure my shit out"??? Obviously, Ive looked at the stats to the schools I want, but theres always good advice to be had for those who ask, So I thought I would try a FORUM that was made for this PURPOSE, no need to be disrespectful, if your annoyed by the questions dont come to a forum and read them.

No need to be pissy. I wasn't kidding when I said it with respect, but it's something you need to hear. This stuff is serious, and you did forget a pretty important date. You can't do that with this stuff. Judges will not accept 'I forgot' as an excuse for failing to file a motion within the allotted time.

I agree completely with Tmon and your decision to hold off until the October test. I'm not going to sit here and be Mr. Cheerleader for you, but if you'll reread my post, you'll see a fair bit of advice in it. I don't mind answering PM questions either.

Seriously, take a snoop around the LSAT prep forum. There is a metric ton of great advice from many brilliant people in the stickies alone. This forum is well worth lurking on. Also, check out Manhatten LSAT. Noah hangs out a bunch on these forums, and their (free!) prep resources helped me immensely when preparing for the test.

Good luck.

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Thank you for the advice, and I will admit I probably took it the wrong way, Ive just heard alot of people put me down (that I know personally not on this forum) and tell me I cant make it. I realize what your saying, and I also realize now that when I expected to do great on the LSAT after only a couple weeks of study I was kidding myself. I will say though that I dont think a 149 is a bad starting point for someone who hasnt really practiced or studyed the exam, I have read some post on here from people who have performed that poorly who really put forth all the time and ability they had. After reading the responses on this forum I am sure that studying will greatly benefit my score when I take the real thing, and if I keep at it for a couple hours atleast 5 or 6 days a week I could really do well in OCT. instead of doing just good enough in June to get into a shitty school with no scholarship and rack up a mountian of debt. Thanks!

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Tue May 22, 2012 11:26 pm

I would like to add however, that I have read on these forums (not on this paticular thread so much) how going to a lower rated school is a terrible decision. When I take the LSAT for real if I do as well as I hope I would be more compelled to go to a lower rated school with a decent scholarship, or even a free ride, over a higher rated one that expected me to take on alot of debt. But Iguess it is debatable as to wether this would be a good decision.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue May 22, 2012 11:36 pm

silentbob wrote:I would like to add however, that I have read on these forums (not on this paticular thread so much) how going to a lower rated school is a terrible decision. When I take the LSAT for real if I do as well as I hope I would be more compelled to go to a lower rated school with a decent scholarship, or even a free ride, over a higher rated one that expected me to take on alot of debt. But Iguess it is debatable as to wether this would be a good decision.

It's an overgeneralization for people to say you should never go anywhere but the top 14. For many that may be true, or at least a smart heuristic, but it depends on your goals and a solid understanding of how much you'll earn vs debt upon graduation. Going into this cycle and before my final LSAT score I thought I was T14 or bust, and I still would've likely gone that direction if I had that option. I don't, but I'm decently comfortable with how things ended up. I'll basically end up with ~50k in debt, which is definitely serviceable even if I don't win the biglaw lottery (and at a non t14 it's at best a huge gamble) and I'll have family support as well as a SO who has a career with a better earning/employment outlook. A full ride/pretty low cost to a solid regional school can be a decent option depending on the situation.

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Wed May 23, 2012 1:30 am

thanks tmon!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 am

99.9luft wrote:
tmon wrote:It would be stupid to back out if you had any chance at getting a decent score, but you don't. With your current scores you're almost certainly not going to get into a school worth going to at a price worth paying. You should check out the guides in the LSAT forum (specifically the one by Pithypike) and start planning for October. There should be a thread for people taking in October where you can post questions.

OP, listen to tmon (what's up, buddy!)

this. Also, tmon went from a score in your current range to what he got now. (link in his profile)

Return to “What are my chances?”