Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm

3.28 GPA
172 June LSAT (2 170s on record)
Graduated in 2010 and have been working since then.
No good softs, should have very good LOR from employer, decent LOR from professor.
I think I can write an okay PS.

I want to work in Texas after graduation for sure. Not sure if I want to risk giving up a chance at Penn or UVA, which I would only have if I ED, to try to get into UT-Austin, since best-case scenario seems to be waitlist --> acceptance. Scared of getting locked out of everywhere except Vandy at sticker or something.


Image
Last edited by shifty_eyed on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby emkay625 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 pm

3.23/173 in-state here, also had work experience.

applied back in October, got waitlisted, but got off of the waitlist in late February.

I wrote 3 very-detailed and very specific LOCIs, which I think helped.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun May 20, 2012 11:15 pm

emkay625 wrote:3.23/173 in-state here, also had work experience.

applied back in October, got waitlisted, but got off of the waitlist in late February.

I wrote 3 very-detailed and very specific LOCIs, which I think helped.


Congrats! Do you plan on attending?

I am pretty sure UT is my top choice from a financial point of view, since even if I get in to other top schools, I doubt I'd get a significant enough scholarship to make it cheaper than UT.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby emkay625 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:56 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
emkay625 wrote:3.23/173 in-state here, also had work experience.

applied back in October, got waitlisted, but got off of the waitlist in late February.

I wrote 3 very-detailed and very specific LOCIs, which I think helped.


Congrats! Do you plan on attending?

I am pretty sure UT is my top choice from a financial point of view, since even if I get in to other top schools, I doubt I'd get a significant enough scholarship to make it cheaper than UT.


yup! I will be attending. Got a scholarship to Northwestern and to Georgetown, but UT was still significantly cheaper.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby kalvano » Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 am

UT generally has a pretty hard 3.5 floor, but with the slowdown in apps, they might be more inclined to dip lower.

I do think that the previous poster who got in is more an exception than the rule though.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby emkay625 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:07 am

kalvano wrote:UT generally has a pretty hard 3.5 floor, but with the slowdown in apps, they might be more inclined to dip lower.

I do think that the previous poster who got in is more an exception than the rule though.


It looks like they realized that they were a point low LSAT median wise they let 5 in-state splitters off of the waitlist on the same day (and that's just people i know/people on lsn). I think it would not have happened had their LSAT median been not too low and they realized they needed to do something to quickly fix it, so i would say you couldn't bank on it happening again next year.

The one piece of advice i do have is to be persistent. If you find yourself in a waitlist position, pm me and i'll help guide you through exactly what i did.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 pm

emkay625 wrote:
kalvano wrote:UT generally has a pretty hard 3.5 floor, but with the slowdown in apps, they might be more inclined to dip lower.

I do think that the previous poster who got in is more an exception than the rule though.


It looks like they realized that they were a point low LSAT median wise they let 5 in-state splitters off of the waitlist on the same day (and that's just people i know/people on lsn). I think it would not have happened had their LSAT median been not too low and they realized they needed to do something to quickly fix it, so i would say you couldn't bank on it happening again next year.

The one piece of advice i do have is to be persistent. If you find yourself in a waitlist position, pm me and i'll help guide you through exactly what i did.


Ok. :cry:

Sounds like UVA ED might be a better bet for admission, as long as I don't mind being poor.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
kalvano wrote:UT generally has a pretty hard 3.5 floor, but with the slowdown in apps, they might be more inclined to dip lower.

I do think that the previous poster who got in is more an exception than the rule though.


It looks like they realized that they were a point low LSAT median wise they let 5 in-state splitters off of the waitlist on the same day (and that's just people i know/people on lsn). I think it would not have happened had their LSAT median been not too low and they realized they needed to do something to quickly fix it, so i would say you couldn't bank on it happening again next year.

The one piece of advice i do have is to be persistent. If you find yourself in a waitlist position, pm me and i'll help guide you through exactly what i did.


Ok. :cry:

Sounds like UVA ED might be a better bet for admission, as long as I don't mind being poor.



Don't be discouraged! I was in the same place. I was going to ED to UVA because I knew it was much less of a risk, but ended up not because I'm a "follow your dreams" kind of person. In the end, it did pay off.

If I were you: Get all of your letters of rec and essays written now, don't ED anywhere, but intead, apply everywhere the very first day apps are out. Make sure you write a very strong and detailed why UVA essay and apply their first day. It is a bit riskier without the ED, but you won't be stuck in that "what-if" place for the rest of your life.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter?

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

emkay625 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
kalvano wrote:UT generally has a pretty hard 3.5 floor, but with the slowdown in apps, they might be more inclined to dip lower.

I do think that the previous poster who got in is more an exception than the rule though.


It looks like they realized that they were a point low LSAT median wise they let 5 in-state splitters off of the waitlist on the same day (and that's just people i know/people on lsn). I think it would not have happened had their LSAT median been not too low and they realized they needed to do something to quickly fix it, so i would say you couldn't bank on it happening again next year.

The one piece of advice i do have is to be persistent. If you find yourself in a waitlist position, pm me and i'll help guide you through exactly what i did.


Ok. :cry:

Sounds like UVA ED might be a better bet for admission, as long as I don't mind being poor.



Don't be discouraged! I was in the same place. I was going to ED to UVA because I knew it was much less of a risk, but ended up not because I'm a "follow your dreams" kind of person. In the end, it did pay off.

If I were you: Get all of your letters of rec and essays written now, don't ED anywhere, but intead, apply everywhere the very first day apps are out. Make sure you write a very strong and detailed why UVA essay and apply their first day. It is a bit riskier without the ED, but you won't be stuck in that "what-if" place for the rest of your life.


My mind changes all the time!! I'm going to TRY to put this out of my mind until I get my LSAT score, since that may change things a bit. Then I will probably be blowing up your PM inbox asking for advice LOL

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:35 am

I updated my OP

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

shifty_eyed wrote:I updated my OP

I dunno... ED at UVA with your numbers has an 83% acceptance rate. But it looks like you could also do Texas, if you wanted to. Probably the safer bet, especially if you're a Texas resident. According to that chart, both applicants got scholarships, too.

Check it: http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... ny&ed=Only

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:44 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I updated my OP

I dunno... ED at UVA with your numbers has an 83% acceptance rate. But it looks like you could also do Texas, if you wanted to. Probably the safer bet, especially if you're a Texas resident. According to that chart, both applicants got scholarships, too.

Check it: http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... ny&ed=Only



UT doesn't have ED though, so kind of confused about that chart. They have EA, but it's nonbinding.

I personally don't think UVA sticker would be worth it over UT in-state (plus possibly free housing), but UVA sticker would definitely be worth it over NO UT.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:45 am

flem wrote:Apply EA to Texas and apply everywhere else right away, and then if you get dinged or waitlsited at Texas switch your UVA app to ED.

Getting back to Texas from UVA doesn't seem like it would be THAT difficult.


My worry is more about cost than getting back to Texas, although I would not mind working in NYC at all for a few years.

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby sn20 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 am

flem wrote:Apply EA to Texas and apply everywhere else right away, and then if you get dinged or waitlsited at Texas switch your UVA app to ED.

Getting back to Texas from UVA doesn't seem like it would be THAT difficult.


This is right. If you apply EA to Texas you'll hear by mid-Nov ish? I heard back on Halloween and then you can switch your UVA app to ED if necessary.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

sn20 wrote:
flem wrote:Apply EA to Texas and apply everywhere else right away, and then if you get dinged or waitlsited at Texas switch your UVA app to ED.

Getting back to Texas from UVA doesn't seem like it would be THAT difficult.


This is right. If you apply EA to Texas you'll hear by mid-Nov ish? I heard back on Halloween and then you can switch your UVA app to ED if necessary.


Would y'all recommend switching to UVA ED if waitlisted at UT or only if rejected?

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 am

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:My worry is more about cost than getting back to Texas, although I would not mind working in NYC at all for a few years.


What's the market salary in Houston/Dallas? If it's anything like ATL then a small salary cut in exchange for lower cost of living might be beneficial, especially with no state income tax.

But if it's TTT like 110K/yr or something then fuck that.


I read somewhere on here that they pay 160k/yr, which seems too good to be true.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 am

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Would y'all recommend switching to UVA ED if waitlisted at UT or only if rejected?


Which do you want more? To go to law school at UT or be T14 secure?


IDK tflem.

IDK.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I updated my OP

I dunno... ED at UVA with your numbers has an 83% acceptance rate. But it looks like you could also do Texas, if you wanted to. Probably the safer bet, especially if you're a Texas resident. According to that chart, both applicants got scholarships, too.

Check it: http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... ny&ed=Only



UT doesn't have ED though, so kind of confused about that chart. They have EA, but it's nonbinding.

I personally don't think UVA sticker would be worth it over UT in-state (plus possibly free housing), but UVA sticker would definitely be worth it over NO UT.

It's based on LSN, so some LSN users likely marked that they applied ED when they actually applied EA.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby TheThriller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:50 am

I know you've been in the work force and dying to go to LS but if you can take another year if needed, it may be worth it to apply to UT and see what happens. But I honestly would ED MVorP and, EA Cornell and us GULC as a back-up ED. Even though Texas is insular, a T14 degree will get you back there. Although it may seem "risky" to apply ED to MVP-CG while having an app pending at UT, it really only is a win/win for you: A great national LS/vs./A great region LS.

I know UT is you're dream school but i highly doubt you will be regretting attending a T14 off an ED. I can think of more situations where the "what if" moment would occur if you took UT over a t14 actually.

I hope this helps!

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:My worry is more about cost than getting back to Texas, although I would not mind working in NYC at all for a few years.


What's the market salary in Houston/Dallas? If it's anything like ATL then a small salary cut in exchange for lower cost of living might be beneficial, especially with no state income tax.

But if it's TTT like 110K/yr or something then fuck that.



110k in houston or dallas is more than 160k in NYC.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

A lot of Texas firms pay $160K.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

I think you'll likely get in.

On LSN, 171-173/3.2-3.4/non URM/Since '06: 21 in; 17 out. That does not take into account the residency bump.

http://myLSN.info/dispresults.php?usege ... d=Included

User avatar
thewaterlanding
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby thewaterlanding » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:52 am

kalvano wrote:A lot of Texas firms pay $160K.



Credited.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I read somewhere on here that they pay 160k/yr, which seems too good to be true.


I'd be surprised if they paid NYC/CHI/LA/DC money (160K) outside of boutique firms but I wouldn't be surprised if they paid about 145K, which, combined with a lower cost of living and no state income tax, seems to beat 160K in a major market at face value.


http://www.nalpdirectory.com/Page.cfm?PageID=34

Market is $160k for first years, at least at the bigger firms. I believe TX firms have lower raises than NYC, but NYC satellite firms stay on NYC scale. It's an incredible deal if you like Texas.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Postby de5igual » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I read somewhere on here that they pay 160k/yr, which seems too good to be true.


I'd be surprised if they paid NYC/CHI/LA/DC money (160K) outside of boutique firms but I wouldn't be surprised if they paid about 145K, which, combined with a lower cost of living and no state income tax, seems to beat 160K in a major market at face value.


I was kinda surprised ATL pays only 135K. Pretty much all Texas biglaw starts out at 160.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov, Kayak1277, massappeal and 9 guests