Prosecutor with a felony? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jurisx

Bronze

Prosecutor with a felony?

Post by jurisx » Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a Prosecutor with a felony?
Last edited by jurisx on Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Re: Prosecutor with a felony?

Post by Corsair » Sat May 19, 2012 9:07 pm

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Does it? Have you heard of anyone with any type of felony being allowed to do so? Do you think it depends on the jurisdiction of the court one applies to as well?

If anyone has a link to any articles of anyone making it into the field with a felony please post it.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat May 19, 2012 9:19 pm

I know there are some states where the bar won't certify felons, so you should check into that, too. I don't know that it's impossible, but the odds are definitely against it.

I agree that it probably depends on the felony, too. What was it? When was it?

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:44 pm

There is a thread in here somewhere from quite awhile back that mentions that even a misdemeanor can frequently disqualify you from getting an ADA position. Someone can give you the link if they can find it I don't have time to dig. Based on what I read in that thread, a lot of offices seem to be hardcore about this so I can't see how you could get in prosecution with a felony.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 pm

jurisx wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a Prosecutor with a felony?

I know every now and then you hear about a lawyer or even judge having one from their youth, but what I really want to be is a prosecutor. Anyone ever hear of someone being allowed to do such a thing?
Quite honestly, reformed convicts are just more likely to go into defense-side work anyway, or at least that's what I believe. It's possible that there are people who were exceptional enough to pull this off, but kept choosing not to try for the same reason.

Never let a lack of prior success stop you... but have a backup plan. Would you be okay going to law school if you had to be any other kind of lawyer than prosecutor?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Anyone who hires prosecutors is going to tell you it depends on the particulars. But, it doesn't. It's a deal killer for prosecution work.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon May 21, 2012 11:16 am

Renzo wrote:Anyone who hires prosecutors is going to tell you it depends on the particulars. But, it doesn't. It's a deal killer for prosecution work.
Renzo knows best.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote:Anyone who hires prosecutors is going to tell you it depends on the particulars. But, it doesn't. It's a deal killer for prosecution work.
Renzo knows best.

I keep telling my wife that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo knows best.

I keep telling my wife that.
:lol:

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 am

I don't know much about the market for prosecution work, but this seems like the correct response. Prosecutors (and cops, for that matter) are, to my mind, rather sure of their demonstrably superior integrity vis-a-vis the people they prosecute, and your having been convicted of a felony might "confuse" the sensibility of the people who would hire you.

That said, of course, I would wager that you would be a fantastic prosecutor--perhaps because you have a felony. You might, however, be an even better defense attorney.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 am

I think low level non person 3rd offense DUI felonies or small marijuana possesion felonies may be the only ones where you would have a chance. That is if you went to rehab and showed a decent amount of time without fucking up.
I think it would easier to be a defender though.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu May 31, 2012 2:55 pm

How can they trust you to cover up Brady violations if you couldn't even cover up your marijuana operation?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Borhas wrote:How can they trust you to cover up Brady violations if you couldn't even cover up your marijuana operation?
HAAAAAAAAAA.

I watched a DA run a bench trial presided-over by a very frustrated judge. The charges? Felony robbery, theft, receiving stolen property. The defendant? An 11 year-old girl. The crime? A girl bullied a little boy, took his scoter, and road it down the block. (According to testimony, she also said the boy couldn't get any candy.)

DAs can be awful people.

1Lguy23

New

Post by 1Lguy23 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Didn't know you could even take the bar with a felony. Guess it depends on the state.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:47 pm

1Lguy23 wrote:Didn't know you could even take the bar with a felony. Guess it depends on the state.
You'd be amazed what 1L's don't know.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:56 am

jurisx wrote:
1Lguy23 wrote:Didn't know you could even take the bar with a felony. Guess it depends on the state.
You'd be amazed what 1L's don't know.
I wonder if 1L guy only plans to use tls for 1L

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:I think low level non person 3rd offense DUI felonies or small marijuana possesion felonies may be the only ones where you would have a chance. That is if you went to rehab and showed a decent amount of time without fucking up.

I don't know if the 3 DUI thing would fly for prosecution. Maybe a minor drug offense, but I would think 3 DUI's carries more weight than the small drug charge.

Not sure though.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:I think low level non person 3rd offense DUI felonies or small marijuana possesion felonies may be the only ones where you would have a chance. That is if you went to rehab and showed a decent amount of time without fucking up.

I don't know if the 3 DUI thing would fly for prosecution. Maybe a minor drug offense, but I would think 3 DUI's carries more weight than the small drug charge.

Not sure though.
Obvious hypotheticals that vary by state, but these are the types of felonies you would think would be the most likely to have a chance at overcoming C&f.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”