3.7/168, shot at T14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tealkat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby tealkat » Tue May 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Double major in English and Psychology, president/founder of org, interned with civil rights organization...do I have a shot at T14, and if so which ones?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm

You need to specify that the LSAT is not a real score.

lawschoolnumbers.com
lawschoolpredictor.com

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby top30man » Tue May 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Shot at Cornell. That's about it.
Eta: that's hypothetical? If so I worry more about studying that posting hypos. Don't worry until you have an actual score.

tealkat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby tealkat » Tue May 15, 2012 1:42 pm

yeah that was my score first shot at a real old test administered in real test conditions. assuming that I study and improve my score, that's a hypothetical but a minimum. Or a decent estimate of my real score, if somehow my score decreases upon retesting.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby chasgoose » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

tealkat wrote:yeah that was my score first shot at a real old test administered in real test conditions. assuming that I study and improve my score, that's a hypothetical but a minimum. Or a decent estimate of my real score, if somehow my score decreases upon retesting.


If you got a 168 under real test conditions with little to no prep, you should have no problem raising your score to the mid 170's. I wouldn't take the LSAT until you were consistently scoring in that region in simulated test conditions...

tealkat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby tealkat » Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks guys...the truth is, despite the 168 on my practice real LSAT and a shot at T20, I'm planning NOT to do law due to the unemployment stats. I actually posted here to see if anyone would change my mind, and I would like to hear the counterarguments.

I can either risk law school, or become an Occupational Therapist ($60k-$90k), amazing job market.

I've heard that about 1/3 of new law grads get jobs, and with an average starting salary of $40,000 unless you're from T14, working 12-16 hours a day. I've heard from successful corporate attorneys that the stress and the hours are terrible, and to not do law. My research online tends to confirm these stories. (I tried to see if I have a shot at T14 and Patent Law to escape the worst economy effects, but I can't do patent law, and I have an ambiguous shot at T14).

I'm wondering if anyone here has a different opinion, or if my picture of the law situation is accurate as it is.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15471
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 pm

You're right to be cautious, but you heard wrong. And comparing your potential outcomes to everyone's outcomes when you could be applying with a 3.7/175 is just illogical. But good luck.

tealkat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby tealkat » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 pm

If you were me, would you risk it? as opposed to having a very secure, excellent market job as an Occupational Therapist for $60-90k working 8hrs/day? I would not estimate my ultimate score as more than 170. I went in having done some sample problems before, though it was my first real practice test (very grueling...learned you need to practice stamina). Also, the 168 was on the 2001 LSAT; I don't know if it got harder.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15471
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu May 17, 2012 11:59 pm

If you don't want to be a lawyer then no, you shouldn't do it. But you really don't lose anything by spending a few months studying hard for the LSAT and seeing what happens.

User avatar
moxy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby moxy » Fri May 18, 2012 3:45 pm

tealkat wrote:Double major in English and Psychology, president/founder of org, interned with civil rights organization...do I have a shot at T14, and if so which ones?


Shot at Cornell, GULC
Some chance at Berkeley

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby Nova » Fri May 18, 2012 5:52 pm

tealkat wrote:If you were me, would you risk it? as opposed to having a very secure, excellent market job as an Occupational Therapist for $60-90k working 8hrs/day? I would not estimate my ultimate score as more than 170. I went in having done some sample problems before, though it was my first real practice test (very grueling...learned you need to practice stamina). Also, the 168 was on the 2001 LSAT; I don't know if it got harder.


The LSAT score band is +/-3 pts... meaning based on that PT, you should score between 165 and 171 66% of the time. 2001 is still relevent. People improve their scores 15+ points sometimes. To think you cant raise your score more than 2 points from your diagnostic is pretty weak.

tealkat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby tealkat » Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks for the comments.

The 170 is the highest score for the purpose of a safe estimate/assumption, not for possible achievement.

I just looked through the graphs on this website for past applicant stats - a 3.7/170 gives you a shot at all T14 except the HYS. Seems like 170's the cutoff, 169/168 gives you a shot at Georgetown/Cornell.

So last question: I heard from a lawyer that UCLA grads are getting an average of $40,000/yr right out of school. UCLA is ranked #15. Does crossing the "T14" line into Cornell or Georgetown make THAT much difference?

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby eaper » Sat May 19, 2012 12:48 am

tealkat wrote:Thanks for the comments.

The 170 is the highest score for the purpose of a safe estimate/assumption, not for possible achievement.

I just looked through the graphs on this website for past applicant stats - a 3.7/170 gives you a shot at all T14 except the HYS. Seems like 170's the cutoff, 169/168 gives you a shot at Georgetown/Cornell.

So last question: I heard from a lawyer that UCLA grads are getting an average of $40,000/yr right out of school. UCLA is ranked #15. Does crossing the "T14" line into Cornell or Georgetown make THAT much difference?


http://www.lawschooltransparency.com Check out different schools.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby Nova » Sat May 19, 2012 12:50 pm

tealkat wrote:So last question: I heard from a lawyer that UCLA grads are getting an average of $40,000/yr right out of school. UCLA is ranked #15. Does crossing the "T14" line into Cornell or Georgetown make THAT much difference?


Thats not right. For the C/O 2010, At least 21% of UCLA's graduates made $160,000....

LST.

User avatar
Kring345
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: 3.7/168, shot at T14?

Postby Kring345 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:10 pm

TL;DR the responses... but Im going to Columbia with a 3.8/168, waitlist at Harvard, NYU, Chi, accepted at Cornell, GULC, Michigan, Boalt. But I am a military vet, so that obviously helped.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests