Big Splitter Taking June LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KingsCup

Big Splitter Taking June LSAT

Postby KingsCup » Mon May 14, 2012 3:42 am

I'm a junior currently and applying in the fall

GPA: 2.9
Major/School: Mechanical Engineering and University of Southern California
LSAT: scoring in the mid/high 160's, planning on being in the 170's by test time
WE: I have worked as a law clerk in a Personal Injury firm for a couple of summers, as well as will have experience on the engineering side of a couple of companies (no idea if that matters at all)

Schools looking at:
UVA
GULC
UT-Austin
Boston U
Boston College
UGA
UNC
Wake Forest
University of Miami
University of Tennessee

A couple of questions:

1) Where could I potentially get in? I don't really have any idea so thats basically just a list of schools I'd like to be able to go to
2) Does having a major like mechanical engineering matter in the admissions process?
3) Does going to a more reputable university for undergrad have affect the admissions process?

Thanks for any help

soj

Re: Big Splitter Taking June LSAT

Postby soj » Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 am

1. Use lawschoolnumbers.com

Also apply to splitter-friendly schools like Northwestern, Illinois, WUSTL, and GWU.

2. Not a lot. It'll help in the job search if you go into IP, though.

3. Maybe a little, not a lot.

My advice: Get a 170+ LSAT (ideally 172+). Get your GPA above 3.0 and reapply if not satisfied with your cycle. WE helps a lot at schools like NU and certainly doesn't hurt in your job search.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 am

You will not get any T14's unless you are black or mexican -- even then it's a stretch. scratch GULC and UVA off the list and spend the $200 on something more useful, like baseball tickets or something.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 pm

You have a shot at all those schools. But really do try for that 170+. If your LSAT is too close to the 75th at the school, then it's "just another >75th", which won't get you money and might keep you on the waitlist. As an extreme splitter myself, I can tell you that it'll be very unpredictable, because, as a splitter, your file is only opened up if a school needs you to bolster a median. Every school needs to bolster a median. But which one? That'll vary.

(If, God forbid, your LSAT is below the 75th at a particular school, your chances are cut in half...from "have a shot" to "not really, but worth a try." If it's below the 50th, save the cash and buy a silly hat.)

Major really won't matter, unless you do IP. Your GPA is too low to say your major shaved a few tenths off. You need to take another angle in your GPA addendum.

As to undergrad school: unless "more reputable" means "notorious for hard grading" or "top school", then no. It would just be too difficult for the AdCom to put "more reputable" into their mental calculus and weight it against your GPA, especially because, as a splitter, there might not be any remaining applicant like you. Unless something really stands out (170+ LSAT or Harvard undergrad, or the like), you're just a splitter who screwed up undergrad who needs to convince the AdComs with your personal statement to look at you in the best light.

I think the moral of the story is practice your LSAT. (If you're a good writer, a kick ass personal statement is worth like, what, 3 LSAT points...but it gotta be kick ass...like legit.)
Last edited by manofjustice on Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 pm

UVA, BU, and BC all seem to be tough once you are under the 3.0 mark. If you can hit 170+ I would add NU to the list, especially if you're willing to take a year off and work.

wiglaf1228 wrote:You will not get any T14's unless you are black or mexican -- even then it's a stretch. scratch GULC and UVA off the list and spend the $200 on something more useful, like baseball tickets or something.

This is utter horse manure. Plenty of us on TLS, and many more people I am currently in school with had a sub 3.0 GPA and ended up at a T14. Though you need to rock the LSAT.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 am

Icculus wrote:
wiglaf1228 wrote:You will not get any T14's unless you are black or mexican -- even then it's a stretch. scratch GULC and UVA off the list and spend the $200 on something more useful, like baseball tickets or something.

This is utter horse manure. Plenty of us on TLS, and many more people I am currently in school with had a sub 3.0 GPA and ended up at a T14. Though you need to rock the LSAT.

Exactly. I found Wily's cycle very encouraging.

ETA: And that's if you don't crack into the 170's.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:05 am

1) Where could I potentially get in? I don't really have any idea so thats basically just a list of schools I'd like to be able to go to
2) Does having a major like mechanical engineering matter in the admissions process?
3) Does going to a more reputable university for undergrad have affect the admissions process?

1. Really depends. Tflem's assessment is spot on. Like others have said, use LSN, but also play with http://www.mylsn.info
2.No
3.No

Good luck on the LSAT!

edit: Oh, this happened a long time ago.

bgoodrick wrote:Its a good course, in practice tests my score went up 12 points, from a 157 to a 169, but I ended up bombing the LSAT so I'll be taking the test again, the course itself helped though

Good luck on the retake!

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 am

You aren't a splitter yet. You're a guy w a 2.9

You need at least a 170 for T14

Return to “What are my chances?”