4.0 UGPA -- Help Me Fill in the Gaps

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splitsplat

Re: 4.0 UGPA -- Help Me Fill in the Gaps

Postby splitsplat » Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 am

basketball law guy wrote:
shoeshine wrote:LOL, my favorite part of TLS is when people come on here and make one of these threads thinking that their softs are awesome and unique.

Softs don't matter.

I am also finishing my 3rd year UG and will be taking the LSAT in October. I read so many different theories on "softs" and if they matter, don't matter. Let me ask this question- great personal statement vs. great softs? Does the personal statement count for much more?

All else equal (GPA/LSAT) I think only a few schools really care about great softs or great ps or the why xyz school optional essays (think boalt etc.)

Taus11

Postby Taus11 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:28 am

Awesome GPA. I wish I had a 4.0!

I am confused about what you mean by how you can improve your softs during senior year. Are you going to join a bunch of clubs and try to become president within a couple months? Get a sweet job that will make a difference during the fall semester? Or do you mean more like work experience after undergrad?

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Sat May 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Taus11 wrote:Awesome GPA. I wish I had a 4.0!

I am confused about what you mean by how you can improve your softs during senior year. Are you going to join a bunch of clubs and try to become president within a couple months? Get a sweet job that will make a difference during the fall semester? Or do you mean more like work experience after undergrad?

Pretty much either suggestion that you mentioned. Specifically, I was wondering if there was a significant "item" that my softs were lacking or if there was anything else I could possibly even think of doing to make a substantial improvement. So far, I've gathered that unless I am a felon or I have cured cancer, it really just boils down to GPA/LSAT.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 pm

In terms of internships, would it be more beneficial to find something within a law practice?

Right now, I have the option of doing something in business or possibly interning at a private practice for the next school year, any thoughts? I can understand that law schools are looking for diversity, thus focusing on business would be better. I can also understand that law schools might want to see interested, in which an internship that's law related could be better.

Any thoughts? Should I just do the law internship just to see what it's like?

Successedtobreathe

Postby Successedtobreathe » Sun May 20, 2012 3:15 am

From what I've read, softs only matter when you've either had a challenging life experience (such as rough childhood), or you started a business (or head of a business). Otherwise academic softs (such as clubs) don't matter, but a published paper looks good.

I also read that law schools love volunteer work.

Lets face it though. Law schools love rank. USAtoday ranks based on numbers. Law schools love high numbers.

I'd kill for your GPA by the way, so keep retaking until you hit 170+

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Successedtobreathe wrote:From what I've read, softs only matter when you've either had a challenging life experience (such as rough childhood), or you started a business (or head of a business). Otherwise academic softs (such as clubs) don't matter, but a published paper looks good.

I also read that law schools love volunteer work.

Lets face it though. Law schools love rank. USAtoday ranks based on numbers. Law schools love high numbers.

I'd kill for your GPA by the way, so keep retaking until you hit 170+

I have started a business that shortly failed... hmm. Basically, it was a video game league that grabbed close to $60k in sponsorship money year 1, but dissolved more or less due to a lack of time to commit. How can that be taken?

Successedtobreathe

Postby Successedtobreathe » Sun May 20, 2012 2:21 pm

I'd use it in your personal statement. However, I'd swing it and say that you donated a large amount of the sponsorship money to a charity. That would make a good personal statement. :)

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Mon May 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Any reverse splitter stories? (High gpa / medium LSAT scores)

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon May 21, 2012 2:46 pm

shoeshine wrote:LOL, my favorite part of TLS is when people come on here and make one of these threads thinking that their softs are awesome and unique.

Softs don't matter.

My favorite part of TLS is when people go into YS threads and act like getting into them is exactly the same as any other school.

Softs do, in fact, matter. Softs includes recommendations and personal statements, of course (and for Y, those are probably just as important as WE), but they certainly matter. Yale rejected [EDIT: waitlisted] two 4.0/178s this year on LSN, and have rejected 4.0/180s in the past. Yes, 99% of law schools don't give a crap about anything but two numbers, but I think it's really hard to argue that's the case at YS. Even H is starting to care about people not being K-JD, even if it's only in a binary yes/no sense.

OP, I would say your softs are solid enough not to count against you and not awesome enough to overcome lowish numbers. Shoot for 174 and up, and do work hard on your application.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

Has anyone looked at the 3 sample resumes on the Harvard website? Haha, I hope those are excellent ones and by no means an average applicant?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon May 21, 2012 6:48 pm

rbkl wrote:http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/the-application-process/resources.html

Has anyone looked at the 3 sample resumes on the Harvard website? Haha, I hope those are excellent ones and by no means an average applicant?

Relax. Plenty of people with average resumes get into Harvard every year because they have GPAs like yours and an LSAT like you are capable of getting. As Elston said, this isn't necessarily the case at Yale and Stanford. But because of Harvard's size they're fairly predictable past a certain numbers threshold.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 am

rbkl wrote:http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/the-application-process/resources.html

Dude, other than the GPAs, those resumes were not all that impressive. Okay, the guy who worked at McKinsey for 6 years is serious, but why the fuck is that dude going to law school? And you'd be more impressive than the other two if you did your Big 4 job for 2 years. Neither having some UN internship nor working as a day care teacher's aide is going to get Karen Buttenbaum in a tizzy.

Basically what I'm saying is: don't sweat it, you'll be fine. Just kill the LSAT. Like Tiago says, they're very predictable over certain numbers thresholds.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Mon May 28, 2012 4:56 am

So I am averaging around 173 for PT's, but with very large deviations (as low as 168, as high as 178). I signed up for June's test, and I still have about 2 weeks of full on studying. Assuming I do worse than my average, I am guessing I'll score a 171ish.

I am really honestly aiming for only HYS, mostly HS.

If I don't feel like I have improved, should I take the October test?
Should I take take the June test anyways, and then re-evaluate?

Basically, assuming I don't improve:

A) Should I take the test in June (being conservative, I am estimating a 171, but it realistically can range anywhere from 170 to 176)?
A1) If I get on the lower side of that range, should I re-take?
B) Should I just aim for October with more preparation?

If it helps, my last 7 PT's have been:
170, 173, 175, 169, 178, 172, 171

Return to “What are my chances?”