2.95, 173. ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bromega

2.95, 173. ED?

Postby bromega » Sun May 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Major: Biomedical Engineering
School: Big Ten
GPA: 2.95
LSAT: 173 (Feb 2012)
Year: Junior, applying in the fall

I've looked over lsp and lsn but I have a fairly specific question that those couldn't help me with. I'm planning on ED at UVA and if I don't get in then ED to Georgetown. Any advice on this? Are those my best shots at the T-14?

Otherwise my list looks like this. Is there anywhere I could be looking at big money (assuming the Early Decisions don't work out)

Virginia ED
Georgetown ED (assuming I dont get into UVA)
Michigan
Cornell
Wash U
George Washington
Vandy
Minnesota

Thanks.

soj

Re: 2.95, 173. ED?

Postby soj » Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I've heard of several people who did this. If next cycle doesn't work out, you could work hard to bring your GPA above 3.0 (for the 3.0 GPA floor schools), get some WE, and reapply to these schools and NU, assuming you still even want to go to law school.

Actually, I'd apply to NU next year anyway. You never know as a splitter--give yourself as many realistic chances at the T14 as possible.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

bromega wrote:Virginia ED - no money
Georgetown ED (assuming I dont get into UVA) - no money
Michigan - no money, probably no acceptance
Cornell - most likely WL
Wash U - in with $
George Washington - in, maybe with $?
Vandy - WL, or in at sticker
Minnesota - in with $$

See above for my take on your cycle/money. Minn and WUSTL are your best chances at schollies. Focus on bringing your GPA up above 3.0 (take summer classes if it's not too late to register), it will give you a better shot at getting into Cornell and Michigan. I would apply to NU as well if I were you, although the lack of WE will hurt you.

I had similar #s to you (2.8/176) and 1 year of WE and got into NU RD (with $), GULC RD and UVa off the WL. I ED-ed to NU, but their ED program comes with a full ride ($150K) so I was held and then accepted about a month later through their RD program.

You can see the rest of my schools/cycle here - http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

You should DEFINITELY write "Why X" Essays, particularly for NU, UVa, GULC, Mich, and Cornell. Also, ask your professors for LORs NOW so you can have them ready by mid-summer. Start your PS now if you haven't already. Make sure your app is completely done by early to mid September so you can submit as early as possible. Best of luck, feel free to PM me with any questions! :mrgreen:

Postby 2014 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm

WUSTL will give you 60k, GW could presumably give up to 75k.

You should get into UVA ED though so that will be moot.

bromega

Postby bromega » Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I realize this is probably something I will have to decide for myself, but generally speaking is UVA at sticker a better value than WUSTL, GW or Minnesota with a moderate scholarship?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 pm

bromega wrote:I realize this is probably something I will have to decide for myself, but generally speaking is UVA at sticker a better value than WUSTL, GW or Minnesota with a moderate scholarship?

yes job prospects are hugely different coming out of UVA as compared to those other 3. It'd be a different discussion if you had a full ride though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:29 pm

bromega wrote:I realize this is probably something I will have to decide for myself, but generally speaking is UVA at sticker a better value than WUSTL, GW or Minnesota with a moderate scholarship?

Even though this is putting the cart before the horse, I'll answer it since you will have to decide something like this when you choose to ED. First off, this is a good thread for varying opinions: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178204

With moderate? Probably not (e.g. if we're talking 150k-ish debt at graduation after scholarship and interest are factored in). If you can get the debt down to the 100-120k-ish range then it becomes another question. I personally chose NU at sticker (260k debt at graduation) over GW/WUSTL both with 105k scholarships (which would have put me around 120-130k in debt at graduation).

1. The kind of work that your average person from GW/WUSTL/UMinn does is drastically different than the kind of work that the average person from a T14 does. The average person from NU/UVA goes to a biglaw firm and generally does work for corporations (either transactional or litigation). On the other hand, the average person from GW/WUSTL/UMinn goes to a small firm and does stuff like insurance defense, personal injury, etc. If you want to do the kind of work that big firms do your chances of ending up at a big firm is much higher from a T14 than it is from the other schools. Big firms also provide exit options into things like the USAO, in-house counsel, DoJ, etc that are practically foreclosed to people who end up at small firms.

2. T14's have better national reach if you want to work in either NYC, DC, or a region you are from. The other schools have much more limited reach. I chose NU because I would rather work in Chicago or NYC than DC. On top of that, a school like WUSTL struggles to place its grads in Chicago and since I have no ties to Indianapolis/Kansas City/St. Louis/other midwestern cities nor any desire to live there it is hard to justify going to WUSTL even for cheap. The one caveat I would mention is that if you take a T14 at sticker you should be willing to work in NYC. NYC is where the vast majority of big firm jobs are and is the easiest place to get one (and since you'll need a big firm job to pay off sticker price debt so you need to do everything in your power to make that is likely as possible which includes being willing to work in NYC).

3. The debt is killer though. First, around 20-25% of the class at T14s end up with a salary (e.g. 50k) that makes paying off sticker price debt nigh impossible. Obviously this is far higher at the lower ranked schools but things aren't perfect at the T14. Second, sticker price at a T14 takes around 5 years of biglaw to pay off even if you do get biglaw. In 2007 only around 20% of biglaw associates made it to year 5. While exit options pay well, they generally do not pay as well as biglaw and thus there is substantial risk that you will exit biglaw with a lot of debt still left with a salary that doesn't make it easy to shoulder the 150k or however much you have left. However since you have a hard science background I imagine that you can eliminate some of this risk since you will be more in demand if you are willing to do IP. I'm not sure how much that mitigates the risk of sticker though as I don't have that background and don't know much about it.

4. Basically I took a justifiable (albeit large) risk by attending a T14 at sticker because I wanted the geographic reach it provided and wanted to do the kind of work that a majority of people at my school end up doing. If I were you I would ask IP people on this board what they think and what they would do since they'll have a better understanding of the risks that someone in your position faces.

bromega

Postby bromega » Mon May 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks everyone!

Return to “What are my chances?”