2.8, 168 LSAT: Chances at Pepperdine, Wake Forest, or Temple Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splitter13

New

2.8, 168 LSAT: Chances at Pepperdine, Wake Forest, or Temple

Post by splitter13 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I need advice. I was looking at lawschoolpredictor, but it's not very accurate for splitters. I was wondering what the members of this forum think my chances would be at Pepperdine, Wake Forest, University of South Carolina, or Temple. My safety school would be the University of South Carolina.

What do you guys think?
Or where should we apply?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: 2.8, 168 LSAT: Chances at Pepperdine, Wake Forest, or Temple

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri May 04, 2012 3:35 pm

splitter13 wrote:I need advice. I was looking at lawschoolpredictor, but it's not very accurate for splitters. I was wondering what the members of this forum think my chances would be at Pepperdine, Wake Forest, University of South Carolina, or Temple. My safety school would be the University of South Carolina.

What do you guys think?
Hey fellow 2.8 GPA splitter! I have a few questions for you:

1) Are you open to retaking? Because you should be. You could have a very different cycle with even 3-5 extra points on the LSAT.

2) Where do you live and where do you want to practice?

3) What do you want to do as a lawyer after graduation?

I was a 2.8/168 too, and I retook and got a 176. Best decision I ever made. None of the schools you listed are great choices, especially at sticker (and as a splitter, chances of you getting $$ are pretty darn low). Regardless of where you want to practice, you can give yourself a way better employment opportunity if you retake and go to a better school.

Check out http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and compare employment data for those schools versus schools like Northwestern, Georgetown, and University of Virginia (all splitter friendly T14 schools). Please consider retaking and applying with a higher score!! :mrgreen:

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Fri May 04, 2012 3:50 pm

splitter13 wrote:I need advice. I was looking at lawschoolpredictor, but it's not very accurate for splitters. I was wondering what the members of this forum think my chances would be at Pepperdine, Wake Forest, University of South Carolina, or Temple. My safety school would be the University of South Carolina.

What do you guys think?
I had a 2.7/168. Out of those schools, I only applied to Wake Forest, and am on their waitlist. I did apply to a bunch of other schools, if you're interested in my experiences: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Wily

bisonprawn

New

Post by bisonprawn » Sat May 05, 2012 12:24 pm

2.8/168

Got into Pepperdine, and WL/accepted at Wake Forest ($$). Did not apply to Temple.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sat May 05, 2012 12:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I was a 2.8/168 too, and I retook and got a 176 173. Best decision I ever made.
I agree 100% w/ crumpets on this one. Honestly w/ a 2.8 you need to get that LSAT higher. There were several sub 3.0 GPAs in my section but everyone had a 170 and above LSAT. If you haven't exhausted your three tries yet I would retake. And I am not one of those on this board that immediately defaults to retake, but anyone under 3.0 should be aiming as high as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitter13

New

Post by splitter13 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 pm

I'll defiantly retake in October. Four months of hard studying should boost my score to a 170.

Let's say hypothetically I do score in the 174+ range where should I apply?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun May 06, 2012 3:14 pm

splitter13 wrote:I'll defiantly retake in October. Four months of hard studying should boost my score to a 170.

Let's say hypothetically I do score in the 174+ range where should I apply?
Broadly....to midwest schools and to lower t14 schools, specifically NU, UVa, and GULC. Feel free to look at my cycle, since we are GPA twins: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

It's hard to assume a particular LSAT though, just check out LSN for potential cycles similar to yours. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm

I had a 2.8/167 and got into Wake with $

splitter13

New

Post by splitter13 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:28 pm

How about the Florida schools? I think I'd be a lock for Miami. I'm not sure about Florida State or University of Florida

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

splitter13 wrote:How about the Florida schools? I think I'd be a lock for Miami. I'm not sure about Florida State or University of Florida
You still haven't answered where you want to work. These are all very regional schools. If you want to work in Florida, then do NOT go to Pepperdine, WF, or Temple. If you want to work in California, do NOT go to Miama, FSU, or UF.

splitter13

New

Post by splitter13 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:32 pm

I defiantly want to work in either North Carolina or Florida. Southern California would be great too, although I know the competition from USC and UCLA would be difficult to overcome in the California job market

shavethosesideburns!

New

Post by shavethosesideburns! » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello! Any thoughts about part-time programs for splitters?
It seems like the splitter-friendlies favor work experience, which might be good for part-time applicants?

2.7 GPA- ?? LSAT (170 on first practice try, haven't studied yet.)
5 yrs WE
MS in Econ w/3.8 gpa @ tier 2
non-URM

Any shot at Georgetown part-time? GW? Brooklyn?

Also wondering- any splitters ever manage to change their UGPA via protest/appeal/etc? Mine is low because of a whole quarter's worth of classes that I registered for, never attended once, and failed to drop, due to a family crisis.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:58 pm

shavethosesideburns! wrote:Hello! Any thoughts about part-time programs for splitters?
It seems like the splitter-friendlies favor work experience, which might be good for part-time applicants?

Grizz wrote:Image
http://www.mylsn.info

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:02 pm

shavethosesideburns! wrote:Hello! Any thoughts about part-time programs for splitters?

5 yrs WE
MS in Econ w/3.8 gpa @ tier 2
non-URM

Any shot at Georgetown part-time? GW? Brooklyn?

Also wondering- any splitters ever manage to change their UGPA via protest/appeal/etc? Mine is low because of a whole quarter's worth of classes that I registered for, never attended once, and failed to drop, due to a family crisis.
I'm not sure what your PT question means, exactly. Part time programs are DURING LS, whereas the work experience bump happens during ADMISSIONS, so the two don't have anything to do with each other.

Generally though, PT depends on what you're looking for. If you're able to get your LSAT above a 171-173, I would highly recommend not applying for a PT program unless you need the money, mainly because a lot of good schools that might take you (UVa, NU) don't offer PT programs. Also, PT programs sometimes carry a slight stigma with them for post-grad hiring (though I'm not 100% about this).

Your WE will help you a lot in terms of applications. I'd say if you manage a mid-170s score you're set at NU and GULC. UVa tends to be a bit weird unless you apply ED or are from the state of VA.

The last question depends on your UG school, not on LSAC, though I hiiiiiighly doubt you'll be able to do anything about it now. Definitely write a GPA addendum about it though.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:24 pm

splitter13 wrote:I'll defiantly retake in October.
splitter13 wrote:I defiantly want to work in either North Carolina or Florida.
defiant [di-fahy-uhnt] adj.: characterized by defiance; boldly resitant or challenging

definite [def-uh-nit] adj.: clearly defined or determined; fixed; certain; positive

hth

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
splitter13 wrote:I'll defiantly retake in October.
splitter13 wrote:I defiantly want to work in either North Carolina or Florida.
defiant [di-fahy-uhnt] adj.: characterized by defiance; boldly resitant or challenging

definite [def-uh-nit] adj.: clearly defined or determined; fixed; certain; positive

hth
Lol

Maybe he's just passionate?

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:48 am

South Carolina shouldn't be a "backup" school. If that's the only one you get into, take a year off. Hence, don't waste your money on an application.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 pm

What do you guys think?
Pepperdine-Waitlist/In
Wake Forest-In
South Carolina-In

where do u want to practice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”