Do I have a shot at SLS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dallas6778

Do I have a shot at SLS?

Postby dallas6778 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello all at TLS,
I've been planning on law school for a while now, and just recently a mentor of mine suggested I set my sights a little higher, such as Stanford. Now, I had been planning for a top 20 school, and hadnt really considered HYS a possibility until now. I'm looking at an 3.85-3.88 GPA but I'm studying biochemistry. However, my undergraduate school is medium sized regional institution. I understand law school arent too biased regarding UG study, but my school is not the top public school in my state, or even the second or third. Will this hurt me? I havent taken the LSATs yet and am wondering what I need to shoot for. I am not a URM. My softs are:
1) Military- honorably discharged for medical condition after about a year, but in a special program pipeline with leadership role until then
2) CASA volunteer- court appointed special advocate for children in foster homes
3) Research- have put in lots of time in the university's biochem lab both for credit and volunteer
4) Work experience- I've worked non-stop to support myself since i was 16, with many impressive jobs and positions for my age
What do you guys think? Will it be worth it to apply if I crush the LSAT, or is my dinky undergraduate school not good enough for SLS?
Thanks in advance!

Paul Allen

Re: Do I have a shot at SLS?

Postby Paul Allen » Wed May 02, 2012 7:06 pm

If we say "no" then are you not going to apply? Just put together the best application and hit "submit."

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 pm

1. We couldn't possibly tell you if you have a shot at Stanford unless you have an actual LSAT score

2. The score you should shoot for is the highest score you can possibly attain given the timeframe you are working with. Check lawschoolnumbers.com to get a general idea of what score will get you in where

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 pm

You'll need to try to shoot for close to a perfect score.

dallas6778

Postby dallas6778 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks to all the replies, Ive only done a few cold practice exams so far but I've scored 168-170. hopefully with some
time I can pull it up and take my best shot. Ive used the calculators but I just thought to ask because although Stanford says they favor diversity, I havent been able to find any information regarding their accepted students' undergrad schools.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:You'll need to try to shoot for close to a perfect score.

With a 3.85+?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed May 02, 2012 7:34 pm

dallas6778 wrote:Thanks to all the replies, Ive only done a few cold practice exams so far but I've scored 168-170. hopefully with some
time I can pull it up and take my best shot. Ive used the calculators but I just thought to ask because although Stanford says they favor diversity, I havent been able to find any information regarding their accepted students' undergrad schools.

Among the top schools, the majority of students come from high pedigree undergrads. But don't think that its a necessary requirement. Its just a correlation, since many people at those top undergrads do very well on the LSAT and end up at top law schools. It doesn't really matter if you go to a middle of the road undergrad school if your LSAT score is high enough, and your GPA is strong.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 02, 2012 7:37 pm

kaiser wrote:
dallas6778 wrote:Thanks to all the replies, Ive only done a few cold practice exams so far but I've scored 168-170. hopefully with some

Among the top schools, the majority of students come from high pedigree undergrads. But don't think that its a necessary requirement. Its just a correlation, since many people at those top undergrads do very well on the LSAT and end up at top law schools. It doesn't really matter if you go to a middle of the road undergrad school if your LSAT score is high enough, and your GPA is strong.

Yeah your UG will have no effect. For the record, 168 cold is very well and you could get high 170's if not perfect

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:41 pm

how did you like your CASA experience? i'm seriously looking into it and it really interests me, but i'll be working a 9-5 job next year and am afraid I won't be able to volunteer with them then.

soj

Postby soj » Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 pm

You might get in with those numbers, but you'll improve your chances with better numbers.

dallas6778

Postby dallas6778 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 pm

CASA is great, but if youve never experienced the social services sytem before it can and often is a depressing place. Many CASA volunteers such as myself have past histories in foster care and thus understand what theyre getting into and understand the kids better. However, lots of folks manage the time commitment with a 9-5 job, and the experience being on the other side of the system has helped me change my mind from medical school to law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm

You'll need a score in the 170s.

Even if you score in the mid to high 170s, consider submitting applications to several other T-14 law schools since almost all competitive applicants to Stanford will have high numbers. :D
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Br3v wrote:

With a 3.85+?

Brah, he's gpa is likely to be slightly lower once it's calculated. He won't get a 180, but he sure as shit should shoot for it.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed May 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Br3v wrote:

With a 3.85+?

Brah, he's gpa is likely to be slightly lower once it's calculated. He won't get a 180, but he sure as shit should shoot for it.

Why?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You'll need a score in the 170s.

Even if you score in the mid to high 170s, consider submitting applications to several other T-14 law schools since almost all competitive applicants to Stanford will have high numbers.

Lol you really are a bizarre poster. At not point did he/she indicate that he/she was only going to apply to Stanford.

OP: with a 3.85 and 168 cold LSAT, you have a very good chance at SLS. They also seem to genuinely care about softs/your personal stament, plus I think your biochem major will help you out. Just study like hell and kill the LSAT. And, you know, apply to other schools too...

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Br3v wrote:

With a 3.85+?

Why?

Well, why wouldn't someone aiming for HYS not be shooting for a 180

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed May 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Why?

Well, why wouldn't someone aiming for HYS not be shooting for a 180[/quote]

Haha sorry bolded too much. Why will his GPA be lower? Are you assuming that his school gives a 3.7 for an A- and 3.4 for B+? What else would lower a grade? Most people in college didn't fail and retake classes.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 9:23 pm

The better way to say would be that he should be prepared for it to possibly be lower, which is the case for many.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 pm

So do you mean that you havent put that much time into the lsat and you are scoring close to the 99th percentile?

Wouldn't surprise me if you started hitting 175 consistently with a couple months of prep

I would say you have a great shot at H and S, and unsure of yale.

Congrats on that gpa in that major by the way, seems almost unheard of

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 pm

@Elston: That's just a subtle attempt at humor. Guess I should use the smile faces to be clear.

BearState

Postby BearState » Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

I think your softs are good enough. A biochem GPA that high is impressive as well. I think a 170 (plus or minus 1) would give you as good a shot as any.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 am

Do yourself a huge favor and get your GPA over the H/S median-hump at 3.89. Bio-chem major is great, but if you can get over that median, you'll be in much better shape.

dallas6778

Postby dallas6778 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, hopefully ill pull a great LSAT and have a shot. Only thing im confused about is my lsac gpa. my school does not give + or - letter grades, and therefore only gives whole numbers to calculate gpa. so a 90 gives you an 4.00, but an 89 gives you a 3.00. based on the lsac calculator this doesnt seem to be a problem. Anyone have any insight?

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 pm

dallas6778 wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone, hopefully ill pull a great LSAT and have a shot. Only thing im confused about is my lsac gpa. my school does not give + or - letter grades, and therefore only gives whole numbers to calculate gpa. so a 90 gives you an 4.00, but an 89 gives you a 3.00. based on the lsac calculator this doesnt seem to be a problem. Anyone have any insight?

Not necessarily true. In fact, I think quite the opposite.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/Help/faqs-cas.asp#gpa-different

The good news is, if you have an 98-100, you'd get an A+, regardless of whether or not your school awards them. Also, if you're counting on a B here or there, it might actually be a B+

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:58 pm

171+ for a solid shot at SLS

Return to “What are my chances?”