Trying to gauge the strength of my current academic stats

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dbw29

Trying to gauge the strength of my current academic stats

Postby dbw29 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Last edited by dbw29 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedalbany

Re: Trying to gauge the strength of my current academic stats

Postby tedalbany » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Can't really say much without a real LSAT. Take the test, but if you don't score above a 168 or so then keep retaking until you do. You've got a great gpa and what seem like pretty good credentials. Are you trying to do IP? If so you should be able to swing GULC with at least a 167ish, and from there you shouldn't have much trouble getting a good IP job.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm

There's really no way to know how much you can improve. For what it's worth, I taught for Kaplan (I know, I know, they're terrible) and I had students improve anywhere from only 3 points to as much as 20 points. Totally depends on the individual.

dbw29

Postby dbw29 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for your input guys, I know it's hard to say without a real LSAT, but I'm just looking for opinions like yours.

I never even considered law school until then very end of last year (after Christmas) when I realized that IP and patent law is essentially all I want to do.

I have a strong technical background and offers to continue at Drexel for free for a PhD, but I think I'd really prefer law school.

I just hope my GPA can offset any weaknesses that may result in my LSAT score.

Thanks again!

Again, looking for all the responses I can get here!

boredatwork

Postby boredatwork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:13 pm

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:20 pm

dbw29 wrote:Thanks for your input guys, I know it's hard to say without a real LSAT, but I'm just looking for opinions like yours.

I never even considered law school until then very end of last year (after Christmas) when I realized that IP and patent law is essentially all I want to do.

I have a strong technical background and offers to continue at Drexel for free for a PhD, but I think I'd really prefer law school.

I just hope my GPA can offset any weaknesses that may result in my LSAT score.

Thanks again!

Again, looking for all the responses I can get here!

With such a strong engineering GPA, I don't think there is any reason to settle for less than a 170 on the LSAT. Get the PowerScore Logical Reasoning/Reading Comprehension Bibles, and study hard. If you don't feel prepared in June, then take it in September or October. Or take in June and leave yourself time to retake in October or December.

You do not want to go to the schools you can get into with a sub-165 LSAT. They won't get you a patent law job at a decent firm, and might well leave you unemployed. I pushed by my LSAT from June to October to finally December because I was weak in games and it was totally worth it for the LSAT score I got, the school I got into, and the firm I ended up at.

You really have no idea at this point where you'll end up LSAT wise. You can make big jumps after getting stuck at one score for a long time just by having something click. I went up 9 points after figuring out how to properly diagram games. People who start in the 150's get into the 170's all the time, and a 170/3.95 would be enough to get you into some great schools (e.g. scholarship at U Penn, etc). Indeed, with your background and GPA, a 172+ would probably get you into at least one of Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.

Return to “What are my chances?”