/

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Tadatsune

Re: Finally got it. 3.25/175 LSAT

Postby Tadatsune » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 pm

covebysea wrote:Hello, all. I am very new to this forum. just found it last night. I am still debating myself to see if it is a good decision to apply a law school because i am not sure if I have a shot to those really good law schools.
here is my background:
undergraduate: dual degrees ME/CS in a premier school in Asia.
graduate: CS master degree in UC. dropped out of phd program. published papers for nasa projects, invented a system.
work experience: Software Engineer in big companies.

GPAs: 3.5 ( undergraduate) 3.8 ( graduate )
LSAT: 170+

my biggest concern is my age. I am in my 30s. so I am not sure if it is wise to consider law schools. Any insights are really appreciated! I do need help to decide...

You should start your own thread.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:29 pm

If you ED, you will probably get Mich, Penn, UVA. Possibly NYU.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 am

thelawyler wrote:If you ED, you will probably get Mich, Penn, UVA. Possibly NYU.

Where should an AA male with similar numbers look to use their ED at? I was thinking Columbia or NYU.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 am

MTH2 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:If you ED, you will probably get Mich, Penn, UVA. Possibly NYU.

Where should an AA male with similar numbers look to use their ED at? I was thinking Columbia or NYU.

I have no idea about URM admissions, but my gut tells me that a AA with similar numbers should not ED anywhere...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 am

MTH2 wrote:Where should an AA male with similar numbers look to use their ED at? I was thinking Columbia or NYU.

covebysea wrote:Hello, all. I am very new to this forum.

Start your own threads, don't try and steal this thread from OP.

To the OP: I have a much lower (2.81) GPA than you, but here was my cycle: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

Basically, in at GULC and NU ($), $$ at midwest schools, WL at California schools. The DUI might hurt a little, but I can't imagine that it will have a huge impact on your cycle (others who know more about this can correct me if I'm wrong). Make sure to do a few things to try and optimize your cycle:

• Apply AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Basically, get all your LORs submitted by this summer, finish your PS/Why X essays/GPA and DUI addenda/extra essays by August at the latest.
  • ED to a higher ranked school (ONLY if you're willing to pay full price there). I would not ED to UCLA though, you have a good shot there via RD.
  • Get others to double and triple check your PS/resume/etc. I think people underestimate how much a bad resume or PS can screw with their cycle, ESPECIALLY if you're borderline.
  • Do every extra essay and interview you possibly can (so that would be Why X essays at NU/GULC/MVP/Cornell/Duke, and interviews with NU/GULC if requested/Vandy if you apply)
  • File your FAFSA/Need Access ASAP - in January, preferably
  • Email schools to request fee waivers: oftentimes you can get solicited waivers that you wouldn't have gotten via LSAC's CRS. Also don't forget to check for hidden waivers!

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:36 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
MTH2 wrote:Where should an AA male with similar numbers look to use their ED at? I was thinking Columbia or NYU.

covebysea wrote:Hello, all. I am very new to this forum.

Start your own threads, don't try and steal this thread from OP.

To the OP: I have a much lower (2.81) GPA than you, but here was my cycle: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

Basically, in at GULC and NU ($), $$ at midwest schools, WL at California schools. The DUI might hurt a little, but I can't imagine that it will have a huge impact on your cycle (others who know more about this can correct me if I'm wrong). Make sure to do a few things to try and optimize your cycle:

• Apply AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Basically, get all your LORs submitted by this summer, finish your PS/Why X essays/GPA and DUI addenda/extra essays by August at the latest.
  • ED to a higher ranked school (ONLY if you're willing to pay full price there). I would not ED to UCLA though, you have a good shot there via RD.
  • Get others to double and triple check your PS/resume/etc. I think people underestimate how much a bad resume or PS can screw with their cycle, ESPECIALLY if you're borderline.
  • Do every extra essay and interview you possibly can (so that would be Why X essays at NU/GULC/MVP/Cornell/Duke, and interviews with NU/GULC if requested/Vandy if you apply)
  • File your FAFSA/Need Access ASAP - in January, preferably
  • Email schools to request fee waivers: oftentimes you can get solicited waivers that you wouldn't have gotten via LSAC's CRS. Also don't forget to check for hidden waivers!

I completely understand. I had no intention to steal the thread, I asked simply because it's still active and the convenience was just too tempting! :)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 am

MTH2 wrote:I completely understand. I had no intention to steal the thread, I asked simply because it's still active and the convenience was just too tempting! :)

It's cool, you'll just get more specific responses if you create your own thread!

Return to “What are my chances?”