Should I roll the dice?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

To take it or leave it...

Don't be a punk and take the good option you have earned
2
8%
Go for prestige and take the year off, it will be worth it in the long run!
23
92%
 
Total votes: 25

Geil
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Should I roll the dice?

Postby Geil » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 pm

GPA: 4.13
LSAT: 160
Result: 50% tuition scholarship at a T30-T40 in my undergrad and home market that I have been aiming to get into since high school

Here is why I am considering not taking the offer: With continued LSAT studying since my cycle has ended, I have been scoring in the 165 range. With a few more months of studying I think I could improve this score to 167-170. Is it worth sitting out this cycle and taking the LSAT again next year? I don't want to be greedy since I have been aiming to get into the school I was accepted at for years...but I cant help but wonder.

In my evaluation, the only schools I consider worth taking a year off for and forgoing my current offer are Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Berkeley, Virginia, Michigan, and Northwestern. So what do you guys think my chances are at these schools if I score somewhere around a 168? I have average/above average softs and no WE. Would like to practice in Chicago or California, with ties to Chicago.

Should I roll the dice?!?!?!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Geil wrote:In my evaluation, the only schools I consider worth taking a year off for and forgoing my current offer are Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Berkeley, Virginia, Michigan, and Northwestern. So what do you guys think my chances are at these schools if I score somewhere around a 168?


168? A 165, or perhaps even a bit lower, lets you cruise into UVA through ED. 168 or better brings the T-6 into play. Definitely retake.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Geil wrote:GPA: 4.13
LSAT: 160
Result: 50% tuition scholarship at a T30-T40 in my undergrad and home market that I have been aiming to get into since high school

Here is why I am considering not taking the offer: With continued LSAT studying since my cycle has ended, I have been scoring in the 165 range. With a few more months of studying I think I could improve this score to 167-170. Is it worth sitting out this cycle and taking the LSAT again next year? I don't want to be greedy since I have been aiming to get into the school I was accepted at for years...but I cant help but wonder.

In my evaluation, the only schools I consider worth taking a year off for and forgoing my current offer are Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Berkeley, Virginia, Michigan, and Northwestern. So what do you guys think my chances are at these schools if I score somewhere around a 168? I have average/above average softs and no WE. Would like to practice in Chicago or California, with ties to Chicago.

Should I roll the dice?!?!?!


It's not rolling the dice, rolling the dice would be attending a
School with little to no job prospects and graduating with a good chunk of debt. If you retake, earn a higher score, then you can get t14 easy and with that gpa YALE HARVARD STANFORD if you kill the LSAT. Worse case scenario you wait a yr, and apply with the same numbers you have now and probably get very similar offers

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Retake and get 100% tuition (or close to it) from your hometown school or hit up T-14.

One year off is totally worth either option

Geil
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby Geil » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm

gaud wrote:Retake and get 100% tuition (or close to it) from your hometown school or hit up T-14.

One year off is totally worth either option


Thanks for the reply - is a T14 at full tuition better than a T30-40 at 50%?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Geil wrote:
gaud wrote:Retake and get 100% tuition (or close to it) from your hometown school or hit up T-14.

One year off is totally worth either option


Thanks for the reply - is a T14 at full tuition better than a T30-40 at 50%?


Yes and no. I believe a lot of that would come down to personal preferences.

For me, T14 @ sticker would be difficult since I have a family where I live (no kids, but an SO with her career here). Do you have any undergrad debt? Do you want to work in the same market as the school offering 50% tuition? (keep in mind, if you retake and do well, they'll give you more money) What would the cost of attendance be at the schools? etc.

Geil
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby Geil » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for the reply - is a T14 at full tuition better than a T30-40 at 50%?

Yes and no. I believe a lot of that would come down to personal preferences.

For me, T14 @ sticker would be difficult since I have a family where I live (no kids, but an SO with her career here). Do you have any undergrad debt? Do you want to work in the same market as the school offering 50% tuition? (keep in mind, if you retake and do well, they'll give you more money) What would the cost of attendance be at the schools? etc.


No, fortunately I do not have any undergraduate debt. I could really see myself working in Chicago, the schools primary market, and have some ties to the market. The fear that I have is that if I do not get into any of the high T14 schools I originally listed that I would be aiming for, I will not be accepted back into the school I am turning down.

Currently I estimate my COA at about 115k for the T30-40 school.
What do you think my chances would be at Stanford (my top choice) with a 4.13 and a 168. I have looked to see if they have an early decision program but couldnt find anything? What about Chicago or Berkeley?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Geil wrote:No, fortunately I do not have any undergraduate debt. I could really see myself working in Chicago, the schools primary market, and have some ties to the market. The fear that I have is that if I do not get into any of the high T14 schools I originally listed that I would be aiming for, I will not be accepted back into the school I am turning down.

Currently I estimate my COA at about 115k for the T30-40 school.
What do you think my chances would be at Stanford (my top choice) with a 4.13 and a 168. I have looked to see if they have an early decision program but couldnt find anything? What about Chicago or Berkeley?


That cost of attendance is too high for a T30-T40 school. You should consider retaking and hitting up T-14. With your GPA and a nice retake.. expect to have a wonderful cycle.

I can't be sure about where you'd get in with those numbers, check out LawSchoolNumbers.com and you should be able to find the information you're looking for.

Good luck!!

Geil
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Should I roll the dice?

Postby Geil » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice gaud, its appreciated.

Does anyone else have some input on my chances at the top schools - I know there is some speculation involved and that LSN is a good reference point.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests