Feel like I am a solid candidate, bt need more expert advise

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nom Sawyer

Re: Feel like I am a solid candidate, bt need more expert advise

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 am

thederangedwang wrote:
aekea wrote:
glaw2012 wrote:Thanks @Flan & @Roaring, basically the undergrad (India) is almost 3.1/4 & grad (Boston) is 3.5/4, I will sign up for the credential service eventually

Are you saying your GPA is 3.1 on a 4.0 scale for undergrad? Because that will not get you into Harvard or Stanford unless you have ridiculous softs. Law schools will not pay much attention to your GPA for any graduate program so that doesn't really matter. I would suggest sending your transcripts in to LSAC as soon as possible because you really won't be able to get a sense of your chances without knowing your LSAC GPA.

if your gpa is truly 3.1...curing cancer as a soft may not even be enough....you prob would need to have been born deaf and blind..and then cured cancer

No this is completely off... as its an UG GPA thats out of the country, schools don't need to report a gpa and instead would just have the benefit of a 180 LSAT with no corresponding GPA score.

However, you still need to submit a LSAC report and how schools view those is more of a black box. I say go through the process, apply early to HYS, and see what happens. You have at least a decent shot at one of those schools, although actual chances are hard since there are so few applicants with your specific situation.

kkilambi

Postby kkilambi » Mon May 14, 2012 9:05 pm

What I understood from other forums is that LSAC doesn't come out with GPA if a candidate has a foreign degree instead it grades the candidate as excellent, good etc.

Since Law schools would not get numerical number as GPA, I read they would only look at your LSAT. With a perfect score on LSAT , I think you can easily get into one of the top schools.

By the way, I have done my undergrad in India too. I have done my Masters in Electrical Engineering here in the US. I am working as an electrical engineer. I want to do law, planning to give my LSAT next year. I'd like to have some expert advice from you :). Can I contact you via e-mail. My e-mail address is kilonline@gmail.com.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Dude if you take the LSAT and score 180 as long as your undergrad grades are good you are pretty much golden. I know only one guy who got 180 and one who got 177 both were accepted to Harvard. Interestingly the guy with 180 could not get Yale, despite the fact that his father was an alumnus. Conversely I know a guy who scored 174 and was accepted to Yale.

Um, what?

Lowest GPA accepted to Yale last year: 3.61. 180 does not make you golden for HYS (though at least for an American applicant, at least, it might make you golden for T14).

OP's situation is weird though--if you come back with "superior", I'd say you're about as good a foreign applicant as there is, so I'd think your odds are good. Below that, and I think you're looking more at CCN--but foreign applicants seem very hard to predict.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 pm

I read it wrong, continue

MccrayRenee

Postby MccrayRenee » Tue May 15, 2012 5:31 am

How do you think, do I have any chances to enter right after High School? I'm doing good and have good records, but none of my mates succeeded and I'm not sure it's even worth wasting time

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:A law degree is only practical if you plan to practice law.

Well on the other hand... to not get a law degree is waste a 180

This is stupid.

It's not that stupid. It's still a question of opportunity costs, but the opportunity cost of taking advantage of the 180 to get a degree at Harvard, Stanford, or Yale better be pretty substantial. Granted, the guy has it pretty good right now, we're not talking about a McDonald's Manager who pulled a 180 out of his or her butt.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 pm

glaw2012 wrote:Fair enough, I will submit the credentials with CAS to see what rating they come out with. I know the undergrad GPA is average & grad is slightly above average, but I was really hoping the 180 will make up for it all because that's the only thing I can change in the present. Let's see, hopeful still ...

Can you post your rating from CAS? It would be a useful data point in the CAS transcript eval for Indian GPAs.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:23 pm

As a foreign grad, your LSAT trumps all other factors, but it's not the only factor - especially at Yale.
Apparently HYS has never taken anyone with a lower rating than "Good", but anything less than Superior is a negative. YS both are much harder to predict, but you should get into Harvard.

Return to “What are my chances?”