Feel like I am a solid candidate, bt need more expert advise

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
glaw2012

Feel like I am a solid candidate, bt need more expert advise

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi fellow forum members & experts in the legal field,

A bit about myself:
Male, 28, South Asian Citizen, US resident
Foreign grad (BS) in technology, 1st division
US post grad (MS) in business/finance, 3.5 GPA
6 years of experience as a financial analyst, most recently with an asset management firm in a mid senior role
Looking to take a deep dive into corporate law for assuming leadership roles within the industy in the future
I am mostly interested in Harvard & Stanford due to multiple reasons, a JD at either of them, Yale would have worked but the location might not

From an application perspective my LSAT is perfect at 180 (took recently), but beyond that I havent looked much into the personal statement & recommendations that go along with the final application. Targeting 2013 or 2014 to start at school (I want to be prepared in advanced after my experience with MBA applications to top schools in the past which were a huge disappointment)

Your advise on my profile, suitability for the top schools, how to go about planning my next few months/year, etc will be highly appreciated. I really want to give this a one time shot & get in with a good financial support if possible.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

CanadianWolf

Re: Feel like I am a solid candidate, bt need more expert advise

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:14 pm

It might help if you share more about your failed applications to MBA schools. What were your results & what do you feel harmed your MBA applications ? Also, why do you want to pursue a law degree instead of an MBA ?

Are you aware of joint degree programs that offer both the law degree (JD) & an MBA ? Harvard, Penn, Chicago & Northwestern are a few top law schools that offer a JD/MBA joint degree. Stanford probably offers a joint degree program as well.

Are you willing to share the name of the US university from which you earned your masters degree in finance ?

BearState

Postby BearState » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Does 1st division mean excellent performance or a top school?

If excellent performance, I think you have as good a shot at Harvard and Stanford as anyone.

Get professors lined up right now and tell them your realistic time frame for getting letters in (i.e., the fall of the year before you want to start attending). You'll need at least one, preferably two letters from professors, and one from your time as a financial analyst should be fine.

glaw2012

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I applied to most of the top schools for an MBA program initially, right after undergrad. I feel my experience was lacking & also a GMAT of 700 might not have been solid enough to convince the schools about a young candidate. Eventually I opted for the MS program at Boston University which was open to fairly less experienced candidates like me. Since then I have stayed within the finance/business field working at top wall street firms. I gave an MBA one last shot last year when my GMAT score was expiring, I received rejections from everyone again (not even a waitlist) which I attribute to (1) old/not high enough GMAT (2) a redundant business degree after the MS (3) not using expert consultants for drafting applications & going solo

I look back & feel that I pretty much acquired most of my business education at BU although the quality & name will never match the top schools. A JD at this point makes more sense because I feel it will widen my learning perspectively from a practical applicability point of view, and also the option for JD/MBA is always there but I wont reapply to any of the business schools and might consider that option into the law program (if at all).

Thanks again :)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm

A law degree is only practical if you plan to practice law.

glaw2012

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm

The previous response was @Canadian.

@Bear first division means a GPA of 7 or above (on a scale of 10), which was my school in India.

My undergrad was India 2005 & grad was in Boston 2007, so I can reach out to my academic contacts at each of the schools, but I havent been in touch for a while except with the Dean's. Further, both schools (engineering in India & business in Boston) were non-law-studies oriented so it might a challenge getting the most perfect recommendation. I do have co-workers/managers over the last 5-7 years from my work ex who could vouch for my skills, ethic, capabilities, etc

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:52 pm

glaw2012 wrote:The previous response was @Canadian.

@Bear first division means a GPA of 7 or above (on a scale of 10), which was my school in India.

My undergrad was India 2005 & grad was in Boston 2007, so I can reach out to my academic contacts at each of the schools, but I havent been in touch for a while except with the Dean's. Further, both schools (engineering in India & business in Boston) were non-law-studies oriented so it might a challenge getting the most perfect recommendation. I do have co-workers/managers over the last 5-7 years from my work ex who could vouch for my skills, ethic, capabilities, etc

How did you get a 180 but only a 700 on the GMAT?

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Top MBA programs care about credentials. Your MS GPA is on the weak side. Also, just so you know, MBA programs don't give much a damn about the GMAT. As for professional services, again that's just stupid and good programs are quite decent at spotting them. There is no such thing as a perfect recommendation for any school, and by that I mean that Americans like recommendations that are personal and speak a lot about a character, and good adcomms can push aside bullshit letters.

Find a good story my friend. Good law schools will not like your grad GPA as you will not be given a GPA for your undergrad. On this forum I've seen many foreigners with your stats and better (ie superior) get denied from top law schools. You have a chance at Columbia though.

glaw2012 wrote:The previous response was @Canadian.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:A law degree is only practical if you plan to practice law.

glaw2012

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:13 pm

@nkp has to do with the effort that went in, plus difference in focus

@applying honestly i never paid much heed to GPA so i guess overlooked it many a times when i could have ended around a 3.7 or better. that being said, i appreciate the feedback

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

none of us will know what that 7 out of 10 means regarding your first division. YOu need to pay for the lsac credential service (you'll have to do this anyways to apply to schools). Once you come back with your rating from this we can give you better advice.

here is this year's thread for people with foreign gpa's etc viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162609&start=275

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Dude if you take the LSAT and score 180 as long as your undergrad grades are good you are pretty much golden. I know only one guy who got 180 and one who got 177 both were accepted to Harvard. Interestingly the guy with 180 could not get Yale, despite the fact that his father was an alumnus. Conversely I know a guy who scored 174 and was accepted to Yale.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Well on the other hand... to not get a law degree is waste a 180... although I do think OP should take another crack at the GMAT... try for that 800....

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Dude if you take the LSAT and score 180 as long as your undergrad grades are good you are pretty much golden. I know only one guy who got 180 and one who got 177 both were accepted to Harvard. Interestingly the guy with 180 could not get Yale, despite the fact that his father was an alumnus. Conversely I know a guy who scored 174 and was accepted to Yale.

This is horrible advice.

glaw2012

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks @Flan & @Roaring, basically the undergrad (India) is almost 3.1/4 & grad (Boston) is 3.5/4, I will sign up for the credential service eventually

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:16 pm

glaw2012 wrote:Thanks @Flan & @Roaring, basically the undergrad (India) is almost 3.1/4 & grad (Boston) is 3.5/4, I will sign up for the credential service eventually

Apparently you should do it this cycle before the price goes up, if you care about the $20 or so difference.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:25 pm

glaw2012 wrote:Thanks @Flan & @Roaring, basically the undergrad (India) is almost 3.1/4 & grad (Boston) is 3.5/4, I will sign up for the credential service eventually

Are you saying your GPA is 3.1 on a 4.0 scale for undergrad? Because that will not get you into Harvard or Stanford unless you have ridiculous softs. Law schools will not pay much attention to your GPA for any graduate program so that doesn't really matter. I would suggest sending your transcripts in to LSAC as soon as possible because you really won't be able to get a sense of your chances without knowing your LSAC GPA.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:28 pm

aekea wrote:

Are you saying your GPA is 3.1 on a 4.0 scale for undergrad? Because that will not get you into Harvard or Stanford unless you have ridiculous softs. Law schools will not pay much attention to your GPA for any graduate program so that doesn't really matter. I would suggest sending your transcripts in to LSAC as soon as possible because you really won't be able to get a sense of your chances without knowing your LSAC GPA.

if your gpa is truly 3.1...curing cancer as a soft may not even be enough....you prob would need to have been born deaf and blind..and then cured cancer

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:30 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
aekea wrote:

if your gpa is truly 3.1...curing cancer as a soft may not even be enough....you prob would need to have been born deaf and blind..and then cured cancer

And deafness and blindness.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Well on the other hand... to not get a law degree is waste a 180

This is stupid.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Just because you have a really hot body, doesn't mean that you should become a stripper.

glaw2012

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 pm

right right :shock:

so no hope for me afterall haan?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 pm

glaw2012 wrote:right right :shock:

so no hope for me afterall haan?

No real clue until you submit your transcripts to LSAC and see what equivalent rating they give you.

glaw2012

Postby glaw2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Fair enough, I will submit the credentials with CAS to see what rating they come out with. I know the undergrad GPA is average & grad is slightly above average, but I was really hoping the 180 will make up for it all because that's the only thing I can change in the present. Let's see, hopeful still ...

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 am

glaw2012 wrote:Fair enough, I will submit the credentials with CAS to see what rating they come out with. I know the undergrad GPA is average & grad is slightly above average, but I was really hoping the 180 will make up for it all because that's the only thing I can change in the present. Let's see, hopeful still ...

Did you officially receive this score in an LSAC issued test administration? Which test?

Return to “What are my chances?”