No idea when to apply

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jredelman15

No idea when to apply

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:37 pm

When applying to schools in the T-14 is there much of a difference between a 3.31 and a 3.4? I am not sure if I should wait and apply after my fall grades come out and risk missing the non- binding ED deadline to some schools or to apply before then. I know I need a 168 or above to have any shot of addmittance. I have 2 great LOR and a pretty unique/ sensitive topic PS that will boost my application.

Edit:I am taking the June LSAT

rad lulz

Re: No idea when to apply

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:18 pm

look on lawschoolnumbers.com

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:look on lawschoolnumbers.com

Do this!

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:53 pm

1. Don't wait. Send in your apps ASAP, preferably by mid-November
2. For t-14, you need a 170. 168 will get you WUSTL and some other t-20's but not t14

HTH

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:55 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:1. Don't wait. Send in your apps ASAP, preferably by mid-November
2. For t-14, you need a 170. 168 will get you WUSTL and some other t-20's but not t14

HTH

This. The earlier the better. You could also mention progress grades or whatever and tell them you'll be willing to submit final grades when they're out.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 pm

PARTY wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:1. Don't wait. Send in your apps ASAP, preferably by mid-November

HTH

This. The earlier the better. You could also mention progress grades or whatever and tell them you'll be willing to submit final grades when they're out.

Should I add in a diversity statement being from WV?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
PARTY wrote:

HTH

Should I add in a diversity statement being from WV?

Goddamnit. was i just trolled?

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:06 pm

I have another question addressing when to reply, so I figured I'd stick it in here, instead of creating a whole new thread.

I am taking my LSAT in October. From my understanding, you can send in applications to schools before you have your LSAT score. The application will become active at each school once the LSAC sends your LSAT scores to each of the schools you listed to have them sent to.

Okay, say I got a 160 on the LSAT in October, and I had sent in my application by the beginning of October. The schools I wanted to go to reject me, because my LSAT isn't high enough. If I retake the LSAT in December and get a 170, can I then re-apply to the schools that rejected me, in hopes of gaining admission due to my new and improved LSAT? I'm just not sure how this works, and I'm curious as to the logistics of multiple LSAT scores and early admissions, etc.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Interception!

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:11 pm

I dont know how many people from rural WV apply to law school. So i really am asking the question in all seriousness should I write a diversity statement about that?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:I dont know how many people from rural WV apply to law school. So i really am asking the question in all seriousness should I write a diversity statement about that?

Well, if serious, you can write a diversity statement about whatever, as long as it comes across as something that had to be overcome in your life.

I wrote about being a military brat and moving around a lot. It definitely hasn't hurt.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:14 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I have another question addressing when to reply, so I figured I'd stick it in here, instead of creating a whole new thread.

I am taking my LSAT in October. From my understanding, you can send in applications to schools before you have your LSAT score. The application will become active at each school once the LSAC sends your LSAT scores to each of the schools you listed to have them sent to.

Okay, say I got a 160 on the LSAT in October, and I had sent in my application by the beginning of October. The schools I wanted to go to reject me, because my LSAT isn't high enough. If I retake the LSAT in December and get a 170, can I then re-apply to the schools that rejected me, in hopes of gaining admission due to my new and improved LSAT? I'm just not sure how this works, and I'm curious as to the logistics of multiple LSAT scores and early admissions, etc.

From everything that I have read, once you are rejected you are out for that cycle. You can however reapply the next cycle. As in response to having multiple LSAT most schools only look at the highest score. If there is a huge discrepency than you may want to attach an addendum to explain.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I have another question addressing when to reply, so I figured I'd stick it in here, instead of creating a whole new thread.

From everything that I have read, once you are rejected you are out for that cycle. You can however reapply the next cycle. As in response to having multiple LSAT most schools only look at the highest score. If there is a huge discrepency than you may want to attach an addendum to explain.

The schools I want most are Columbia and NYU, which seem to average. Also, although a reach, I'm interested in Harvard, which also averages. So I decided to wait until the October LSAT to be fully prepared to get as high of a score as possible, without a possibly sub-par score in June, even though it provides a safety net.

So, if you can only apply once, I think it's a safe move to only apply to schools after I have received my October LSAT score, since this will determine whether I need to re-take in December or not.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:20 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:The schools I want most are Columbia and NYU, which seem to average. Also, although a reach, I'm interested in Harvard, which also averages.

No

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:The schools I want most are Columbia and NYU, which seem to average. Also, although a reach, I'm interested in Harvard, which also averages.

No

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Which one do you think doesn't average? Harvard?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:37 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

No

All of them. There are plenty of people on TLS who got into Columbia, NYU, and/or Harvard with multiple LSATs that would have caused them to be rejected if the schools really averaged. I'm one of them.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

No

All of them. There are plenty of people on TLS who got into Columbia, NYU, and/or Harvard with multiple LSATs that would have caused them to be rejected if the schools really averaged. I'm one of them.

Hmm...I wonder why people say they average so much then. May I ask what your numbers are and which school of these that you got into? That is positive news for me if I have to retake. The NYC schools are my dream ones.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Hmm...I wonder why people say they average so much then. May I ask what your numbers are and which school of these that you got into? That is positive news for me if I have to retake. The NYC schools are my dream ones.

May I welcome you to the Profile button? And once again, lawschoolnumbers.com?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 pm

echamberlin i sent you a pm. My first take was a 166, FWIW

Return to “What are my chances?”