Law School Decisions in the South Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LitigationSensation

New

Law School Decisions in the South

Post by LitigationSensation » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I got a 152/3.8 GPA, with excellent recommendations, a lot of community service and philanthropy work, an inspirational, well written personal statement and 4 years of law firm work experience with legal research and drafting discovery, motions, and pleadings. I know the LSAT is very low, but I have the credentials otherwise. I have applied to Georgia State, Mercer, Samford, Ole Miss, and John Marshall. The only school I have heard anything from is John Marshall (Accepted). Is there anyone else out there who has still not heard from any of these schools? Many seat deposit deadlines are approaching and I do not want to get locked in at JM without getting answers from my other schools.

TomahawkChopper

New

Re: Law School Decisions in the South

Post by TomahawkChopper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Have you thought of retaking? Get the score up in the 160s and youll have a good shot at $ at Vandy, Emory, W&L, UGA and Alabama. All better choices...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 pm

If accepted to Ole' Miss & you have Mississippi connections, then that is a reasonable choice if you want to practice in that state. Otherwise, retake the LSAT & reapply accordingly.

P.S. Georgia State University is a reasonable option for Georgia residents wishing to practice in Georgia.

LitigationSensation

New

Post by LitigationSensation » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 pm

I have thought about retaking the LSAT. I took the Kaplan Review course and was hitting the 158-162 range, but I have ADD and find myself extremely distracted by the end of the exam. What is more frustrating is, I got a perfect score on the games section and performed reasonably well on the other sections, but bombed the reading comp. I know I am capable of scoring better, but I am 24 and would like to get started with "real life." Has anyone ever heard of someone from JM transferring to a school with a higher pedigree or someone being accepted to a school like GSU with a score that low?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:34 pm

LitigationSensation wrote:I have thought about retaking the LSAT. I took the Kaplan Review course and was hitting the 158-162 range, but I have ADD and find myself extremely distracted by the end of the exam. What is more frustrating is, I got a perfect score on the games section and performed reasonably well on the other sections, but bombed the reading comp. I know I am capable of scoring better, but I am 24 and would like to get started with "real life." Has anyone ever heard of someone from JM transferring to a school with a higher pedigree or someone being accepted to a school like GSU with a score that low?
You're going to need to find a way to get over the ADD if you want to go to law school. Law school exams are as long and stressful and the LSAT- even moreso if you have a take home exam - and you have to take 8 - 10 of them a year.

Find a way to beat the ADD, then retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Don't go to john Marshall expecting to transfer. The best option is to retake, but it all depends on your ties. like another poster said, If you're from ms or have some good ties, ole miss isn't a terrible choice. Same goes for goes for Georgia state. Both hqve low in state tuition. The others are no gos.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:17 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

mwilson37

New

Post by mwilson37 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 pm

LitigationSensation wrote:I got a 152/3.8 GPA, with excellent recommendations, a lot of community service and philanthropy work, an inspirational, well written personal statement and 4 years of law firm work experience with legal research and drafting discovery, motions, and pleadings. I know the LSAT is very low, but I have the credentials otherwise. I have applied to Georgia State, Mercer, Samford, Ole Miss, and John Marshall. The only school I have heard anything from is John Marshall (Accepted). Is there anyone else out there who has still not heard from any of these schools? Many seat deposit deadlines are approaching and I do not want to get locked in at JM without getting answers from my other schools.
I applied to a couple of yours Mercer and Georgia State. I got accepted to Mercer, but Im still on hold at GSU. I think a lot of these schools are waiting to see what kind of deposits they are going to get and you should hear more closer to the end of the month. Best of luck and Ill let you know if I hear anything from GSU.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:09 pm

LitigationSensation wrote:I have thought about retaking the LSAT. I took the Kaplan Review course and was hitting the 158-162 range, but I have ADD and find myself extremely distracted by the end of the exam. What is more frustrating is, I got a perfect score on the games section and performed reasonably well on the other sections, but bombed the reading comp. I know I am capable of scoring better, but I am 24 and would like to get started with "real life." Has anyone ever heard of someone from JM transferring to a school with a higher pedigree or someone being accepted to a school like GSU with a score that low?
You are selling yourself short. Endurance is something that can be beaten into most people with enough practice. I tutored plenty of people that couldn't handle a full test w/o getting distracted halfway initially. By taking enough individual sections and by taking longer tests when you take a full practice test (as in add in 2 experimental sections instead of 1) you can probably work through this problem. (And probably better to work through it now before law school than try to deal with it during your first semester when prepping for finals.)

There should be absolutely no rush at 24 to "get started with 'real life.'" I started law school at 25 I did not feel old or out of place at all. The reality is that applying to law schools is a numbers game and the LSAT is the most important number on your application. Don't sell yourself short by not maximizing your number. By not retaking you are leaving tens of thousands of dollars on the table in terms of scholarship money or depriving yourself of greatly increased career prospects at law schools with much better placement. Don't do that just because you want to get your professional life started and you can't be patient enough to wait one more year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 pm

I have little to no idea what having ADD is like. However I will note that law school exams are often around 3 hours long. If you can't avoid getting distracted during the LSAT I would be worried that you would suffer the same issue in law school. My recommendation is conquer or at least mitigate your issues on the LSAT when it is relatively cheap (each LSAT costs $150ish) with the possibility of retaking (subject to the limitation of 3 per 2 years). Law school on the other hand costs thousands of dollars (much more than the LSAT) and you only get 1 shot at 1L grades (whereas the LSAT can be taken an almost infinite number of times).

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If accepted to Ole' Miss & you have Mississippi connections, then that is a reasonable choice if you want to practice in that state. Otherwise, retake the LSAT & reapply accordingly.
2nd this

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”