Boston College/Boston University Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jpuckett163

New

Boston College/Boston University

Post by jpuckett163 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 am

I plan to take the Jun LSAT and I have been scoring 170-173 on timed practice tests. I would love to go to BC or BU but my GPA is low. I know about predictors and I know the adage your GPA is your GPA but my situation is a bit unique

I graduated from HS in 98 and went to Community College where I earned lots of B's with a few A's and C's here and there. After 2 years of CC I transferred to full time BS program. MY first semester in school my son was born and I blew off some classes I ended that semester with an A a B- and 3 F's thus the low GPA. That was my last semester and that was in 2000. Ive spent the last 12 years working full time first as a paramedic and for the last 6 years as a firefighter and raising 3 children. Last semester I decided I wanted to go to law school and returned to finish my Undergrad degree I started PT with 3 classes (2 A's and 1 C) now this semester I am a full time student who will finish the semester with all A's and I expect to finish the rest of my degree with similar grades.

I have done my homework I know about GPA,predictors and addendum's Im just looking for opinions am I setting my sights way to high with BC or BU or do I have some type of an outside shot?

stillwater

Gold

Re: Boston College/Boston University

Post by stillwater » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 am

What is your GPA (crucial piece of information)? These schools love GPA. So depending on what that is, even a 170-173 maybe insufficient for admission.

jpuckett163

New

Post by jpuckett163 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:57 am

sorry right now its 2.9

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:59 am

You need to establish an account with LSAC so that your undergraduate GPA can be established for law school application purposes. Also, sign up to sit for the LSAT and/or for an LSAT prep course.

It's tough to guess what your LSDAS/LSAC GPA will be & tough to guess what your LSAT score will be. Accordingly, nobody can predict your chances at BC or BU law school admission without those numbers.

P.S. Check lawschoolnumbers.com graphs for BU & BC law to help assess your chances. A quick look suggests that a score of 168 on the LSAT requires anything above a 3.0 GPA for admission to BU whereas for BC a 167/3.1 should result in at least placement on the waitlist. In short, your GPA needs to be above a 3.0 & you need to score in the top 5% or better on the LSAT.

mwels7070

New

Post by mwels7070 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I would say with a 171+ and a solid PS you should have a fighting chance at both schools. 2.9 is low, but with that explanation along with that killer LSAT, I definitely see getting a chance

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

jpuckett163 wrote:I plan to take the Jun LSAT and I have been scoring 170-173 on timed practice tests. I would love to go to BC or BU but my GPA is low. I know about predictors and I know the adage your GPA is your GPA but my situation is a bit unique

I graduated from HS in 98 and went to Community College where I earned lots of B's with a few A's and C's here and there. After 2 years of CC I transferred to full time BS program. MY first semester in school my son was born and I blew off some classes I ended that semester with an A a B- and 3 F's thus the low GPA. That was my last semester and that was in 2000. Ive spent the last 12 years working full time first as a paramedic and for the last 6 years as a firefighter and raising 3 children. Last semester I decided I wanted to go to law school and returned to finish my Undergrad degree I started PT with 3 classes (2 A's and 1 C) now this semester I am a full time student who will finish the semester with all A's and I expect to finish the rest of my degree with similar grades.

I have done my homework I know about GPA,predictors and addendum's Im just looking for opinions am I setting my sights way to high with BC or BU or do I have some type of an outside shot?
FWIW I had a 2.7/168 and got rejected at BU and waitlisted at BC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”