Graduate Student/Splitter New York Schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Graduate Student/Splitter New York Schools

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:12 pm

RainMan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
RainMan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:A JD is not useful for getting a job outside law. The degree has little bearing on law, let alone any other profession. It actually raises red flag for employers. It makes you look like you washed out.

If you think the amount of debt isn't relevant, you're deluded.
I didn't say it was not relevant. I know when you graduate from law school you can legally appraise homes and contract the selling rights. That's called being a real estate agent and using your law degree to save money.
Law school doesn't teach you how to do that.
I spoke with a legit entertainment agent through a summer program at UCLA. A question asked at the seminar was "would a law degree help at one of the top three agencies in Los Angeles (non-legal employment)?" The response was that "yes, a law degree would put you in the fast lane."
Hmm, that is interesting to know. Maybe I will become an entertrainment agent and hang with stars all day. Thanks for the info. I will do some more research on it later.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 pm

RainMan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
RainMan wrote:
rad lulz wrote:A JD is not useful for getting a job outside law. The degree has little bearing on law, let alone any other profession. It actually raises red flag for employers. It makes you look like you washed out.

If you think the amount of debt isn't relevant, you're deluded.
I didn't say it was not relevant. I know when you graduate from law school you can legally appraise homes and contract the selling rights. That's called being a real estate agent and using your law degree to save money.
Law school doesn't teach you how to do that.
I spoke with a legitimate entertainment agent through a summer program at UCLA. A question asked at the seminar was "would a law degree help an employer at one of the top three agencies in Los Angeles (non-legal employment)?" The response was that "yes, a law degree would put you in the fast lane."
So then why are so many people from Touro unemployed? Why are former NYLS students suing the school? You make it sound like any idiot with a law degree can just jump in to that fast lane and become the next Jerry McGuire.

And even if it is true that a law degree will let you work in some low-level entertainment agency gig, is the pay going to be enough to service 200K or more in debt? Remember, 15K or more in after-tax income is needed just to service the interest.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Oooh so one agent told you it would jump you ahead of some schlub for a low paying marketing support job. Whoop dee dooooo.

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 am

I had similar stats to you, OP, and applied this cycle (2.7/168). I got into St. John's (fullride), Hofstra (fullride), and Cardozo ($30k). Got waitlisted at 11 schools from all across the eastern seaboard. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”